So hard to come up with good names!

mrsrof

Mum to one :)
Reaction score
DH and I both have quite large extended families and we are quite close to a good proportion of our cousins (my cousin was my MOH at our wedding ahead of my sisters, that's how close we are).

The problem we're having is that we have one boy's name (Michael), but I am unsure of it, and DH is unsure of the backup plan (Luke - which I love!!), and we have a girl's name, but are thinking "what the hell do we do if we have twin girls (only hoping for one bean this time around, but you never know!) but whenever we think of names we really like, one of our cousins will have already used it!!

I love the name Sean - my cousin used it, Jamie - my sister used it, Ciaran - DH's sis & my cousin used it, Jessica - my cousin used it, Matthew - my cousin used it....it goes on and on!

Anyone else encountered this problem!

Yes! My mum is one of four and my dad one of nine. Almost all have children (one of my dad's sisters has nine children...). So I have around 30-35 cousins (I lose count!) and a lot of them now have kids! Luckily DH only has one cousin and no siblings, so it could be worse.
So on top of DH and I not agreeing on many names, we also had this issue.
I feel your frustration! Hope you find that perfect name.

Erm, i found it hard in a different way.. I'm expecting twins, and for boys names we've got Ledger Joshua + Noah Antony. Joshua is my brothers name, and Antony is OH's Dad's name. I kind of wanted Keith (my grandad) aswell, and OH wanted Daniel (His brother).

Our girls names are Aoife Marya Noelle + Calliope Maela Nina. Marya after OH's Mother, Maria. Maela as my mum named my sister Lillie-Mae and my brother named my niece Rachel-Mae. I also gave them 2 middle names with matching initials like our mum gave us. Thing is i have two sister, and i feel like my sister Gracie-Megan will feel left out? Also OH has two step-sisters who i feel we have left out..

Erm, i found it hard in a different way.. I'm expecting twins, and for boys names we've got Ledger Joshua + Noah Antony. Joshua is my brothers name, and Antony is OH's Dad's name. I kind of wanted Keith (my grandad) aswell, and OH wanted Daniel (His brother).

Our girls names are Aoife Marya Noelle + Calliope Maela Nina. Marya after OH's Mother, Maria. Maela as my mum named my sister Lillie-Mae and my brother named my niece Rachel-Mae. I also gave them 2 middle names with matching initials like our mum gave us. Thing is i have two sister, and i feel like my sister Gracie-Megan will feel left out? Also OH has two step-sisters who i feel we have left out..

Thankfully my family have never really been into "Family names". We've only got a couple, and they're really traditional, and my generation have not been into naming children after family members! When my sister was born, my Nanna apparently said "But there's no one in our family with that name!" and my mum's response was "yes, that's the point!" (sister's name is Louise).

I'm much more in favour of giving a child its own name, not naming after anyone in particular! I wouldn't bother telling them you've used their names as inspiration, that way no one feels left out!

When I find names I really really like, I don't share them. When people ask for suggestions I give them a few names from my list, but not the top names and are names that i like, but would probably never use myself. Nothing worse then a name stealer.. lol. Also if I know somebody who has a kid with a name I like, it's automatically removed from my list.

I'm one of very few people in my extended family that didn't get named after someone. My mum and all her sisters named their kids after their parents. All the boys are variations of "John" and the girls are variations of "Jane".
We have :
John, Sean, Evan, Eoin, Senán, & Oghan
For the Girls we have :
Jane, Janey, Jenny, Genevieve, Sinéad (Irish for Jane) & Jennifer.

So So stupid, and confusing for all of us! Would never do that to my own kids. Maybe with a middle name or something, but never the way my family did it. :huh:

we're having a very hard time coming up with names this time - there are just SOOO many out there, and i like a lot of them (DH nixes a lot of them, but not enough to make things easy). i want a name with meaning, so it doesn't necessarily have to be popular (fads change anyway), but beyond that, i have no clue!

So many couple face this name selection problem. Parents think their baby name should be unique but it is not possible. when two children/person meet which have same name they be happy, so don't think so much about name, just think it should be good.:happydance:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->