So hurt at comments from family and friends :(

Per16

Reaction score
Hi girls I am feeling rubbish today! I called my mom who lives in a different country to me today for a chat and we got onto the subject of breastfeeding ( I am still happily feeding my 15 month old with no thoughts on stopping) and she said are you STILL feeding that child and I said yes I am and she said that it is DISCUSTING, VERY DODGY, that she is using me?! and that if we were meant to feed babies for this long she would have had a cow not a daughter (her having me!) I am so hurt!!! I then told my friend about this and she said well yes people do get offended! ergh Piised off!!!

What ignorant and nasty comments! That must be incredibly hurtful coming from your mum. :hugs:
You keep doing what you feel is best for your LO. It's nobody else's decision.

I plan on stopping at 12 months but people seem shocked that I am still feeding my son who is just over 8 months. I think a lot of people stop excepting it after 6 months. :sad1:

Ugh, that's so hurtful. My friend feeds her 2 year old still and does so when they are at my house and I've never found it odd. Why give cows milk when you've got your own?

Oh lovey :( :hugs::hugs::hugs:

Take no notice whatsoever ... my Mother hated me breastfeeding - she used to go on and on and on about it right from birth and once I went over the year mark it got even worse :hugs:

But you know what? I never parented my children the way she parented me so her opinion simply didn't matter :hugs::hugs: Criticism is only relevant if it's given by someone whom you completely admire and wish to emulate 100% :hugs::hugs:

Ugh, that's so hurtful. My friend feeds her 2 year old still and does so when they are at my house and I've never found it odd. Why give cows milk when you've got your own?

In our house breast milk was/is always called 'Mummy Juice' and Cows milk is 'Cow Juice' ... says it all really LOL

oh my goodness, dont listen to her! u are doing great to have kept it so long, im jealous of u lol. i had to stop coz of my health problems n medication, gallbladder grr.
i would love to be able to breastfeed for 15 months xxx

dont pay and attention you are doing so well my friends LO has just weaned him self off the breast at 18months but she said if he hadnt she would still be feeding him her self x

:hugs: What you are doing is totally normal :flower:

in uk the age of breast feeding is set at 2 years im sure? so it should be normal for you to feed breast feeding, when you get onto the after of 5/6 then its an issue!!! for your own mother to say this, god, i dont know, all i know is my mother is supportive of whatever decisions i undertake with ym kids and sometimes i she will say ok its not the way i would of done but doesnt say it like with disgust! sorry about those comments friends and family have made but two fingers up at them, its your body and if your child is happy to feed from you then so be it.

I think our mums' generation has been brainwashed a bit by the 'superiority' of FF. I know MIL kept asking when do I start to FF (at like 2 mnoths) and was convinced that DD's reflux was CAUSED by BF. I stopped just 2 weeks ago at 13 month, because DD self-weaned as my supply went down because of my pregnancy.

Otherwise, I would have kept BFing probably later. until your daughter wants it, and you are happy to keep it up, just keep feeding. I know plenty of people who did well into the 2nd year. It's natural and there's nothing odd about it.

What you are doing is completely natural... Infact as soon as I start BFing our next LO I will be expressing for LO to have some in a bottle (if he would latch I'd have no problems in doing that either!)

Some people are incredibly ignorant!? Why would you go out of your way to pay for something that you can already get for free!!?

I think its sad that a lot of people have this reaction & make us feel like we are doing something wrong :(

ive been getting it since she was about 3 months old but she is almost 9 months now & I have no plans to stop any time soon :hugs: xx

My son is 12 months old and I'm still breastfeeding. Its completely natural and not at all disgusting! I'd completely disregard what your Mum has said and feel proud that you've provided some wonderful nutrition, bonding and comfort to your little one. I don't plan on stopping anytime soon and will most likely carry on until my son self weans. Personally I won't still be breastfeeding when he goes to school but I respect anyones decision to carry on for as long as mum and child want to.

Well done you! :0)

I think such comments are harder to deal with when coming from family but persist in your decision. I BF till DD1 was 2 and a half and I am ashamed to admit that for the latter part of that time period, I hid it from people and succumbed to pressure to wean. It was emotional anguish for both of us, so please, do it as long, and I literally mean as long, as you want.

That is just awful! :nope: Just as Szaffi said, MANY women of that generation were brainwashed of the superiority of FF. :dohh:

On a similar note my mum's cousin "bragged" to my mum that her daughter gave birth on her back and didn't let our a single scream. :shrug: It's just outdated ideas. Just try and be a teeny tiny bit sad that your mother is ignorant but you still have to love her as she's your mum and not at ALL sad about anything else. :flower:

Dont listen to any of it, if you and your baby are happy then why stop?! I also find that people think you should stop feeding at 6 months but i dont see why, and as for findin it disgusting, well they are very small minded people imo.
The WHO say 'Exclusive breastfeeding is recommended up to 6 months of age, with continued breastfeeding along with appropriate complementary foods up to two years of age or beyond.'

I fed my son for 18 months and im currently feeding my 10 month old daughter with no plans to stop any time soon.

Don't listen to them, you are doing just what is right for the two of you and it's nothing to do with them. Anyone who gets offended by a baby or toddler having something to eat just doesn't have enough real problems of their own to worry about.

:hugs::hugs::hugs:

I've had mean comments too and it is hurtful so I know how you feel :(.

My mother makes comments about weaning despite feeding one of my brothers till 19 months. :dohh: My MIL doesn't understand as she FF her two and comments about people feeding till 5/6.

I'm just ignoring them. I figure she won't be doing it forever. She's not ready to stop now and that's the most important thing to consider.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->