So many decisions to make..

lovetocruise

Reaction score
I know that there is plenty of time to make these decisions after conceiving, but still I feel overwhelmed sometimes with the amount decisions that need to be made before having a LO.

For example, natural birth or medicated? Midwife or OB/GYN? Home or hospital? Hospital with doula?

Cloth diapers or disposable? Diaper service or wash yourself?

How much space is best in-between babies? 18 months, 2 years, more?

These are just a couple that have been taking up way too much of my time and we haven't even started TTC yet.

What are the decisions that keep you distracted from work, sleep, and schooling?

Breastfeeding! That's another one..I want to. I would like to for at least 6 months, if not a whole year, but will I be able to keep up with pumping? I will be going back to work after maternity leave...how will being a mom and a career woman mesh?

Immunizations, all of them or just most of them?..I hate the idea of a baby having to get 6 shots in one visit..just seems like too much.

Yes, I have lots too!

I'm adamant on breastfeeding, so that's one thing I don't have to decide on I guess! But I just feel like there are SO many things I don't know and even know about. Will I be able to work out a bottle steriliser, what if I drop the baby, what if I don't feel an immediate connection right away, what if my boobs are too sore to breastfeed..argh! So many things are going through my mind!

Oooo I've got some to add to the list:

Find out gender prior to birth?
Baby shower before or after birth?
Take 4 months or a full year of maternity leave or just start working from home with a newborn in tow?
When to start trying for number 2? (Technically 3 for me, 2 for SO)

....yeah I have way too much time to think. :p

I know that there is plenty of time to make these decisions after conceiving, but still I feel overwhelmed sometimes with the amount decisions that need to be made before having a LO.

For example, natural birth or medicated? Midwife or OB/GYN? Home or hospital? Hospital with doula?

Cloth diapers or disposable? Diaper service or wash yourself?

How much space is best in-between babies? 18 months, 2 years, more?

These are just a couple that have been taking up way too much of my time and we haven't even started TTC yet.

What are the decisions that keep you distracted from work, sleep, and schooling?

My view is make a choice you can always change if it doesn't work out, ie birth. If you plan for natural and things don't work out you can always opt for pain meds but if you get the meds straight away you can't then go for natural.

Get cloth nappys, wouldn't bother with a service. If you don't get on with them you can swap to disposables.

The trap people fall into with spacing their children out is their first gets to 6-9 months and start to become easy again and they think "oh this is a doddle I can cope with another" well let me tell you they don't stay easy for long. Who ever said the first 6 weeks are the hardest did not have a two year old. So when you do start to think about wanting another dont think about what stage your LO is at now. Think where they are going to be at in 9 months to a year.

I love thinking about things like this, makes me feel like I am taking steps towards baby!

Most of those questions I've answered with my first. The main ones I have are things like will I need a double pushchair or can I get away with a sling and a single. And do I put LO in a toddler bed before or after the second one is born.

I have chosen this gap because I live in a second floor flat and I need my first to be able to walk up and down the stairs.

Some of the ones you mentioned are actually keeping me sane, since I can research them in my spare time when I get too broody!

Me too! It's much more difficult to be a broody, anxious mess when I have a busy mind!

i think the things you say are all part of the pregnancy journey, once your pregnant you will no what you do and dont want and if u cant decide then think of it as you have options. once you are pregnant you will be able to ask your midwife etc for all the info you need and that will help you make your decision.
even if you only think of what you dont want you are a huge step to noin what you want

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->