So many questions!?

rachieroo

2 Girls, 1 boy, 2 pmps.
Reaction score
I have an elective section booked for tues when I will be 39 weeks. Baby is breech plus I am in a boot for a severely broken ankle that I did 5 weeks ago so labour and delivery may be a bit too difficult with the added complications. I had my two girls vaginally and so have no idea what to expect from a section and have so many questions.

Can someone shed some light on what to expect in the UK if possible :)

Will I feel anything with the spinal?

Is there likely to be a member of staff in theatre that will take photos as baby is being born if I give them a camera?

Is delayed cord clamping a possibility?

Is immediate skin to skin a possibility?

Am I likely to hemorrhage (I did with both my girls)?

How long once baby is out until I am likely to be taken back to the ward?

How long until the spinal wears off and how bad is the pain?

How much will I be able to do through the first night on my own?

Should I be worried about going to the toilet for both afterwards like with a vaginal delivery (I get the stinging shouldn't be there but wasn't sure if it would hurt to push if needed)?

Does it take longer for milk to come in?

Since I cannot use my leg to stand and I am relying on my stomach muscles to get up and into a chair etc, is healing going to take longer?

How often do they put a drain in?

Is there anything that will be really useful for hospital that I won't have thought of?

Have you got any advice or think there is something a first timer could do with knowing?

I know some of these questions are a bit daft and an answer will only be given when I am there, I am just looking for some reassurance from ladies that have already been through it. I am really quite nervous.

Thank you :)

I had an emergency section and was pretty out of it but I'll answer what I can.

Will I feel anything with the spinal? I didn't but as I said I was out of it from numerous drugs and 3 days in labour.

Is there likely to be a member of staff in theatre that will take photos as baby is being born if I give them a camera? There wasn't for me but dh took some on his phone.

Is delayed cord clamping a possibility? Don't know. I didn't get offered this but would like to know for my planned section.

Is immediate skin to skin a possibility? Yes. Not absolutely immediately with me but once he was weighed and stuff they tried to lay him on my chest. Ended up with him next to my head instead though as I was in a lot of pain being stitched up.

Am I likely to hemorrhage (I did with both my girls)? Don't know. I didn't.

How long once baby is out until I am likely to be taken back to the ward? I was really quick. Spent some time in recovery breastfeeding then up to ward for breakfast 😀

How long until the spinal wears off and how bad is the pain? Can't specifically remember but it was bearable. With drugs.

How much will I be able to do through the first night on my own? In my experience nothing. I was in for two nights and couldn't stand the first day. The midwives and dh helped loads though with passing ds to me for feeds and changing him. Once mobility starts coming back it was quick though and 48 hours after he was born I was carrying him out in his car seat.

Should I be worried about going to the toilet for both afterwards like with a vaginal delivery (I get the stinging shouldn't be there but wasn't sure if it would hurt to push if needed)? I needed help with showering and going to the loo. You get quite bad trapped wind and so I was given laxatives. Midwife helped me to toilet and held me on it while I went. 🙈

Does it take longer for milk to come in? Apparently it can but mine came in 2 days pp.

Since I cannot use my leg to stand and I am relying on my stomach muscles to get up and into a chair etc, is healing going to take longer?

Eek. I would say so. Perhaps ask your consultant.

How often do they put a drain in? I don't even know what this is!

Is there anything that will be really useful for hospital that I won't have thought of? Big knickers that come above the scar! Dry shampoo and wet wipes in case you're not mobile enough for a shower.

Have you got any advice or think there is something a first timer could do with knowing? It's not as bad as you'll think it's going to be. I'm choosing a section over a natural birth this time. The added bonus of a planned section is it's all a lot more controlled and you should be in and out pretty quick too, couple of days I'd say.

I had an elective caesarean 5 weeks ago after having an emergency caesarean first time round n I got to say the elective was totally different n so much better!
The spinal wears off after 6 hours, was a weird sensation when it went in I felt a little nauseas but was ok.
My partner had his fone n took pictures straight away they delivered her, cut cord m she came straight to me to lay on my chest for skin to skin it was lovely.
Once we were done we went back to labour room n I was im Recovery then for a few hours n my parents n daughter came. After a few hours my spinal wore off mostly n I was cleaned up n as taken to ward at 5pm. Baby was born at 11.10am.
My catheter was taken out at about 10pm n the nurses had me up to go to toilet! I was sore n slow but managed. Apparently they like u up n about now it helps recovery time. Everytime my baby needed feeding or picking up I would buzz n they would give her to me or change her nappy they were really helpful. I was very sore n wobbly but with painkillers I managed well.
We went home the next day! I couldn't wait to get home n have sleep cos the other babies kept me up all night, not my own!
A week later n I was off painkillers n hardly sore! Just took it very easy n rested n only saw to my baby. My boyfriend did everything else!
A much nicer experience than the first time! U must rest when home tho its very important! X

I was very very nervous going in, so much so my blood pressure was sky high all morning! Try to relax and enjoy it it's just amazing meeting your baby. Let us know how u get on, its exciting! X

Well the planned section is sounding a lot easier than an emergency. Looking forward to it!

Thank you for your replies. I'm hoping because it is planned it should be quite a calm environment.

I ask about the photos as dd2s labour and birth were filmed and I love looking back on it so wanted as much of this one as I can on camera.

I am also hoping I will get a side room and that visiting is more relaxed for dh as I am in a wheelchair for my ankle and will need more help than normal but that is me being very optimistic!

Yeh try for a side room it will be much more peaceful! Good luck in sure everything be fine n just enjoy meeting your baby its an amazing experience! X

I had a planned section 2 weeks ago, so it's all fresh in my mind still!

I couldn't feel a thing with the spinal, just a weird pins & needles/heavy type sensation. It started to wear off after a couple of hours. Baby born at 10am and by 2ish I could move my legs again. I was catheterised for 24 hours and didn't get up in that time.

With the spinal, i was prewarned it will affect blood pressure as it starts to work. A few minutes in I felt awful, couldn't breathe, boiling hot, dizzy, clammy. I started to panic thinking i was about to die! My blood pressure had dropped dramatically. But the anaesthetists were amazing, put something in my cannula, upped my drip and within minutes I was fine again. They were a very scary few minutes though.

When I did get up the next day, I won't lie it really blooming hurt to stand. But with pain killers (codeine) and a lot of support I managed and was up and hobbling about after that. Holding a pillow or blanket over your cut as you try to move will help, for the first week I couldn't walk without holding on to my tummy, convinced my insides were going to fall out!

The first wee was fine, opening bowels more problematic, take laxatives if you're offered them! It took me about 5 days to go.

We did delayed cord clamping, had skin to skin after he was checked/weighed. You're laid flat so it's a bit awkward. I was stitched up and in recovery by 1030 and back on the ward in time for lunch.

Midwife's on the ward were amazing and did a lot of nappy changes. I had a private room and cosleeper cot which helped. I stayed in 3 nights though as feeding took a while to establish.

Things to take - definitely big grannie knickers to cover the scar, and over bump leggings/bottoms.

Two weeks in and I feel back to normal most of the time. If I do too much i know about it!

Best of luck with it, recovery is hard but quick in my experiences. I had an emergency section with my first and the planned one was a much more pleasant experience.

Will I feel anything with the spinal? I felt nothing.

Is there likely to be a member of staff in theatre that will take photos as baby is being born if I give them a camera? I'm not in UK. Guess is staff won't help.

Is delayed cord clamping a possibility? Don't know.

Is immediate skin to skin a possibility? I wasn't able to.

Am I likely to hemorrhage (I did with both my girls)? Don't know.

How long once baby is out until I am likely to be taken back to the ward? Everyone recovers from the spinal tap at their own pace. It was around two hours for me to be thawed out enough to go see my baby.

How long until the spinal wears off and how bad is the pain? Two hours to feel your legs again. A half a day to a day for the rest (extreme itching, tingling, sweating and hot flashes, stomach upset, and trapped gas when your intestines start moving again but you have no strength to let it out). The pain is awful. It feels like you are going to rip in half. Ask for morphine!

How much will I be able to do through the first night on my own? Not much:( You will need someone there to hand you your baby and put it back down as you won't be able to sit up or lean on your own. You won't be able to change diapers. You can breastfeed.

Should I be worried about going to the toilet for both afterwards like with a vaginal delivery (I get the stinging shouldn't be there but wasn't sure if it would hurt to push if needed)? Nope.

Does it take longer for milk to come in? Nope.

Since I cannot use my leg to stand and I am relying on my stomach muscles to get up and into a chair etc, is healing going to take longer? I would guess so. You won't have any strength in your stomach for a long time.

How often do they put a drain in? Not sure.

Is there anything that will be really useful for hospital that I won't have thought of? Yes. Granny panties! Big old lady underwear that go way up past the stitches. You don't want you undies sitting on your wound.

Have you got any advice or think there is something a first timer could do with knowing? Ahhh...it really is awful. Sorry:( I had a rough vaginal, but preferred it 100x over the c-section. My sister feels the same. The actual section is painless. I found it a bit hard to breath, however, as you're frozen from the ribs down. I was nervous so I was breathing heavily. Resist the urge to panic. The biggest thing is the recovery. Don't expect to be walking around right away. I was moving very slow and hunched over with horrible back pain for two weeks. I also had horrible pain that felt like severe heartburn from them pushing the baby down. Perhaps they only did that because he was breech. You NEED help for at least a month! They don't allow you to drive for ten days and you aren't allowed to lift more than 10lbs for 6 weeks. My scar was sore for around a year. It interfered with my sex life. It's a bit numb now (over two years later).

I know some of these questions are a bit daft and an answer will only be given when I am there, I am just looking for some reassurance from ladies that have already been through it. I am really quite nervous.

Thank you :)

Thanks for all of the replies. I'm nearly 2 weeks pp now so thought I'd answer my own questions just in case someone else needs similar advice.

Will I feel anything with the spinal? No, the spinal was excellent and nothing like the epidural which is what I was comparing it to.

Is there likely to be a member of staff in theatre that will take photos as baby is being born if I give them a camera? The midwife said they couldn't photograph the procedure but she was really good in taking photos afterwards.

Is delayed cord clamping a possibility? Yes. In the hospital I was in, delayed cord clamping is standard practice and I really think it helped reduce my blood loss.

Is immediate skin to skin a possibility? Even though the midwife discussed it before hand, it didn't happen and I'm not sure why although it meant daddy got extra cuddles.

Am I likely to hemorrhage (I did with both my girls)? I lost 600ml which is normal for a section I'm told.

How long once baby is out until I am likely to be taken back to the ward? I was taken back straight away. He was born at 2:46. It took about half hour for them to stitch me back up and I went back to the ward where I was on a bay specifically for ladies who had had a section.

How long until the spinal wears off and how bad is the pain? My spinal lasted about 2 hours and I found the pain bearable with meds.

How much will I be able to do through the first night on my own? Pretty much nothing. Obviously sitting, twisting or lifting is pretty impossible but on top of that I was on 2 separate drips, had a cuff on for hourly BP monitoring and other leads for monitoring my stats like oxygen. All of that made any movement very difficult so anytime I needed anything or had to see to baby I had to call for help.

Should I be worried about going to the toilet for both afterwards like with a vaginal delivery (I get the stinging shouldn't be there but wasn't sure if it would hurt to push if needed)? I am prone to uti's and am now on antibiotics for one because it was so uncomfortable to completely empty my bladder it's caused an infection. As for going for a poo... this has been the most difficult part of the section for me. At first it was fine but I am on iron tablets which can make you constipated and this along with not really being able to push on the toilet caused a fair bit of pain. I found it caused loads of pressure around the incision area but internal. I got lactulose from Dr and it's loads better now.

Does it take longer for milk to come in? Mine came in on day 4 but I had plenty of colostrum.

Since I cannot use my leg to stand and I am relying on my stomach muscles to get up and into a chair etc, is healing going to take longer? I don't think it's taking longer. The dr gave me antibiotics to combat both the uti and to help the scars heal. Because I am sitting most of the time and not up and walking around because of my ankle, it's not getting any air so is slightly weepy.

How often do they put a drain in? They are used if you bleed a lot I was told buthat I didn't need one.

Is there anything that will be really useful for hospital that I won't have thought of? I had everything I could think of and didn't need for anything.

Have you got any advice or think there is something a first timer could do with knowing? If I could give myself some advice I would say get stool softeners/laxatives before you go in. This has been the worst bit for me. Also be kind to yourself. I have had a few days where I am frustrated because I kept needing dhs helps but you must remember that healing from major surgery takes time! Also, the pain will ease! It was bad enough that I was taking paracetamol and ibuprofen at first but by about day 8 I felt really good.

Congratulations. I'm glad you had your baby, before reading my answers...lol. I did not enjoy the experience, to say the least. I actually had the opposite experience regarding post baby pooping. I had diarrhea.

Thanks for the update and congrats on your baby!!

Will I feel anything with the spinal?
they numbed the area for me so didn't feel anything, just a little dizzy but over in a flash :)

Is there likely to be a member of staff in theatre that will take photos as baby is being born if I give them a camera?
thankfully our surgeon allowed video and pics so we had a spare midwife who did that from belly end and then to me when I had skin to skin straight away

Is delayed cord clamping a possibility? I don't think so, but they cut it longer so that they can squeeze extra blood down to baby :)

Is immediate skin to skin a possibility?
it was for me! if everything is ok with baby they come straight on to you same as with natural... was amazing

Am I likely to hemorrhage (I did with both my girls)? sorry I don't know anything about this, but I was hooked up to a cell salvage machine which circulates any blood you lose back into your body cleaned, may be worth asking about?

How long once baby is out until I am likely to be taken back to the ward? diff for each hospital, you're on a drip for 4 hours after so just you hubby and baby for that time, I had an extra hour on labour ward due to scar weeping, then on ward family could come and been the baby

How long until the spinal wears off and how bad is the pain? I can't remember, I don't remember it being too bad though, you're on paracetomol and ibuprofen though which takes the edge off (if you forget to take some, which I did when I got home it's agony) so don't forget! I was feeling great after a week and driving after 3! think with elective the recovery seems to be quicker

How much will I be able to do through the first night on my own? need hubby to pick baby up as you're not allowed to twist or lift at first, or midwife can help, but I feed straight away :) couldn't stand up till the next day!

Should I be worried about going to the toilet for both afterwards like with a vaginal delivery (I get the stinging shouldn't be there but wasn't sure if it would hurt to push if needed)? I don't remember it hurting... had a catheter for about 24hrs tho

Does it take longer for milk to come in? nope! was fine for me, came in with a vengeance day 3!!! ouch!

Since I cannot use my leg to stand and I am relying on my stomach muscles to get up and into a chair etc, is healing going to take longer? sorry not sure, hopefully not, midwife and hubby should help you to get around!

How often do they put a drain in? I didn't have a drain with mine, but my friend did, I think it depends on how surgery goes. elective is normally a lot simpler though

Is there anything that will be really useful for hospital that I won't have thought of? high wasted loose fitting pants/trouser/pj's so they don't press on your scar

Have you got any advice or think there is something a first timer could do with knowing? coughing and sneezing is a b*tch in the first week, and laughing! curl up to minimise pain! it's all part of the fun though

I am pregnant with my second and am really toying with having another elective as it was such a fantastic experience!! not knowing any different it felt so natural and I was surprise how much I could do and how much I still bonded etc! all the best!! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->