So many US/UK Differences...

^ yes right through pregnancy there seem to be many more internals and tests. We don't routinely get tested for GBS, we don't have smears (pap tests) til 12 weeks after the birth; we don't have our Hcg levels tested either.

in the us you can leave anytime after giving birth, you just have to ask to sign an AMA discharge form (Against Medical Advice)... However, due to the pku test babies get at 24hrs , the baby generally has to stay that entire time, so mom's usually do to. Also, with insurance you're "entitled" to 48hrs after a vaginal birth, so most dont even think to question it. (I work in a hospital :) )

Another difference I've observed is internal exams in late pregnancy... Because of our medical intervention and OB-led care (mostly, not saying everyone has an OB..) internal exams to determin cervix and dialation generally start at 36 weeks here.

Yes that is another difference, while many people in the US have midwives, I think its more common to have an Obstetrician, when i feel like the UK has midwives!

Yeah I always get the sleepsuits mixed up with sleepers...which I think are baby grows? I'm confused. lol

Sleepers? Not sure I've heard that one! Perhaps onesies are vests then... :wacko:

Sleepers? Not sure I've heard that one! Perhaps onesies are vests then... :wacko:

Onesies are like shirts or long sleeves that snap between the legs, and sleepers cover the legs and have feet, not sure what else to call them...
onesies might be vests lol what is a baby grow? we also have baby gowns, which look more like a night gown with elastic at the bottom or a draw string. lol I think we need pictures and names beside each item lol

im confused what vests are like to know are they oneszies?

OOO I have a question for the UK ladies...what is a "sweep"? I've seen this posted a lot for ladies who are past (or close to) their due dates.

Vests have no legs and have poppers between the legs. They can be sleeveless, short or long sleeved. Sleepsuits are the same as baby grows or romper suits. They have legs and may or may not have feet. They have poppers all the way up the legs and down the front (or sometimes the back).

OOO I have a question for the UK ladies...what is a "sweep"? I've seen this posted a lot for ladies who are past (or close to) their due dates.

A sweep is when the mw runs a finger around the membranes. Sometimes it brings on labour but it's pretty hit and kids and I would say hard to show that labour wouldn't have started anyway.

im confused what vests are like to know are they oneszies?

Yea vests are onesies. They're called that because over here what you would call a tank top/wife beater, then would call a vest. So really a "vest" is basically something that goes underneath your main outfit, aka: onesie :thumbup:

The one difference I noticed about my birth compare to my sisters is that she had the SAME midwife throughout her whole pregnancy. We may have our community one we see but on the actual day we're stuck with whoever is on call and/or in the hospital. Where as my sisters midwife was there from beginning to end which I personally like much more. I freaked out when I learned that if I went into hospital I would get some women I had no idea who she was!

I was so surprised to find that some women go home hours after giving birth. I will have to spend 2 nights after a natural delivery. 3 if I were to have a c-section.
Honestly, I wouldn't want to leave right away as I am sure I will be exhausted and scared and welcoming the help of the nurses. It's really shocking that there is such a huge difference.

The biggest differences I have noticed besides this is the internal exams.
I posted that I was 1 cm dilated at 36 weeks and people were shocked that my doctor was checking me.
I also think it's more common for Drs to encourage delivery before 40 weeks here in the US. My doctor was giving me tips for natural induction at 37 weeks.

From chatting to USers on here- a couple of advantages I've noticed for us here in the UK is that we get a lot better maternity packages (ie leave and pay) than I think you do there. For example I am having a year off. 9 months paid (at 90% of wages and then 50% of wages for the last three months) and then can have an extra 3 months off unpaid.

Another one is that you US ladies get alot of pressure about weight in pregnancy. They used to weigh you regularly in the UK during pregnancy but they stopped a while ago as they decided it was too much pressure on pregnant women! So you get weighed at your booking-in appointment at 10 weeks to work out your BMI (to assess any high-risk elements to your pregnancy) and then are usually not weighed again!

Oh yes as MrsLo says that's another massive one! The average first pregnancy is statistically 41weeks and 1 day- but in the US you're usually induced before then I think! Most people I know went over 40 weeks with their first baby here. (I am currently 40wks and 1 day)

I'm in Canada and we get 1 year off as well, some people get topped up their wage by their employer and others get government benefits for the year.

When I had my Ds I was in the hospital for 3 days. They generally like you to stay at least 24hrs here especially if its your first.

Staying off a longer while sounds pretty good, but you do pay for it in higher taxes I'd imagine. Same for the monthly payouts.

In the UK we have the mw and health visitor come round after the birth which the us don't seem to do.

My mw came round the day after I came home and then again a few days later. She discharged me and my hv took over. They come over as much as you want them to and offer support.

In the UK we have wards not private rooms unless you pay for them and the babys never leave the mum so no nursery things

This is a little bit OT but as my DH is Mexican, his mom is always telling me how wrong my doctor is about the things that he says. Like obviously here in US (and UK) babies arent believed to breathe on their own USUALLY until 36-38 weeks. Well My MIL always tells me that my doctor is wrong, and that babies is Mexico start breathing on their own at 20 weeks :dohh:

We have hugeeeee culture differences!! At my 21 weeks ultrasound, you cant even SEEthe lungs because they arent barely developing yet!!

A "sweep" in the UK is called "Stripping membranes" in the US.

Internal exams--for me have always started at 36 weeks. But I was chatting with my SIL today and she said her doc starts doing them at 34!!! I couldn't believe it.

Another one is that you US ladies get alot of pressure about weight in pregnancy. They used to weigh you regularly in the UK during pregnancy but they stopped a while ago as they decided it was too much pressure on pregnant women! So you get weighed at your booking-in appointment at 10 weeks to work out your BMI (to assess any high-risk elements to your pregnancy) and then are usually not weighed again!

Yeah we are weighed at every visit. But it seems like we get to eat more calories/day than is recommended in the UK. I remember in 1st/2nd trimester the ladies would talk about not needing extra food until 2nd trimester, and then only 200 calories a day? Here I've been told 100 extra calories in first trimester and 300/day in 2nd and 3rd.

A "sweep" in the UK is called "Stripping membranes" in the US.

Internal exams--for me have always started at 36 weeks. But I was chatting with my SIL today and she said her doc starts doing them at 34!!! I couldn't believe it.

Yeah we are weighed at every visit. But it seems like we get to eat more calories/day than is recommended in the UK. I remember in 1st/2nd trimester the ladies would talk about not needing extra food until 2nd trimester, and then only 200 calories a day? Here I've been told 100 extra calories in first trimester and 300/day in 2nd and 3rd.

I had an internal at 34wks. But only because they were doing my GBS test and figured "why not" lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->