So much pain any IVF'ers still on Progesterone injections??

BubiMama

Reaction score
I'm currently 7 weeks pregnant with my 1st child due to IVF I was put on Progesterone injections 1week prior to FET so it's a total of 8 weeks of daily injections and today I broke down due to the pain in my rear end. I have 3 more weeks of this and I know I can't stop because the baby needs it until the placenta takes over but I must admit idk how I'm gonna do this .......... Anyone else going thru this?

Do you have to only do it in the glute? I did my intramuscular Lupron shot in my shoulder and it wasn't too bad. I'd imagine if you ice first and change the injection site it won't be as bad. Congrats on you bfp!

I alternate sides every day but my doc says that's where it has to go I think I'm gonna call tomorrow and ask if I can do it any where else because it literally hurts to sit. I was told to hear the area since the progesterone is in an oil form the cold will cause it to stay in one spot so I sit on a heating pad for about 10 minn prior to injecting then another 10 minn after I guess my body is just saying it's had enough.....

I'm in the same position as you. I had a fet and I'm currently 5 weeks and my poor bum is hating me! I use ice beforehand and it really helps, and the my dh massages the area. I switch sides too but I've got bruises all over now and both sides are always sore. My RE did say that after the first or second scan we could alternate pio with suppositories. As long as your progesterone levels are good that should be okay. Maybe ask your doctor?
Here's hoping both our bums feel better soon!

Yea another lady just gave birth to her IVF twins today was on injections too, bruises everywhere. Check this out, you might be able to get a topical anesthetic:
https://parentsviaeggdonation.org/resources/progesteroneinjections.pdf

Oooo ladies you have my sympathies, the injections sound awful!! I found the self administered stimulation jabs bad enough for the 2 wk run up to egg retrieval!

I've been prescribed Cyclogest x3 times daily, which is administered either as a suppository or a pessary, either or, personally I choose to alternate the front & back routes of entry (sorry possibly TMI).

I was horrified when prescribed them and read that other clinics offer the jabs & was close to asking the doc if I could have the jabs instead, but within a few days I quickly got used to the Cyclogest and hardly think twice about it now (although I do have to set myself an alarm to remember to take the lunchtime dose!). At one point the doc mentioned prior to one of my bloods that if my Progesterone levels weren't high enough then he'd increase me to x4 doses daily....luckily I was ok so am still on x3 a day.

If your jabs really are bothering you (they really do sound awful) maybe ask your Doc's about Cyclogest?

Good luck fellow IVF-ers!

x

Yeah I don't know how you ladies do those PIO shots. They gave me one before my transfer and it killed for like 2 days! I was on prometrium suppositories. They're messy, but as pp mentioned you get used to them. I had my progesterone level checked throughout and it was always super high so it's not like they don't work well. I'd ask to switch to supps.

I'm on progesterone suppositories can't you ask to change to them?? When I did my IVF I injected into my stomach and hardly felt most of them.

Zoie PIO is very painful as it's progestrogen in oil so very thick liquid unlike the IVF meds.

OP: I've heard some ladies doing them in their thighs. Pretty sure it just has to be in one of your big muscles. Maybe ask if you can use other injection sites it pessaries aren't an option.

Thinking of you.

Hello ladies thanx for ur replies I have heard of the suppositories and read that there not as good as the injections also my doctor doesn't want me to put anything up my HooHaa as I have fluid in my uterus that has trickled down from my tubes (hyposalpinx) I know it's hard and painful but I don't think I want to change anything since it seems to b working so well. U ladies know how hard IVF is physically and Emotionally so I can't stand the thought of something going wrong so I'm gonna suck it up and ask if maybe I can change to giving the injections in my thigh to give by butt a rest.......

Indeed. Hugs. Let us know how you get on.

I do my pessaries up my butt as they irritated my cervix up my foo so that is an option.

I think pessaries are as good as PIO if you use a lot of them/high dose.

xx

I know that this response is not helping BubiMama anymore since it was years ago her post was, but it may help future IVF ladies going through the same thing. I know myself that I have been going through so many different blogs to find a way or ideas to easy the pain with the progesterone shots and have now found a way to make my shots painless.

Before my progesterone injections, do I put an ice pack in my pants for anything from 10 min to 30 min (even been walking my dog with an ice pack in my pants :) The cold helps to numb the are for when you get your injection. The absolute biggest help was that I got my nurse to change my injections needle from 22g to 25g (OMG ladies it makes such a big difference , I am not crying anymore when I do my shots) After the injections do I make sure to massage the area well so the oil will spread out and then I usually sit on a heated pad for 10 min to really make sure the oil is heating up and is spreading out. Yes I know this sounds like a lot of work, but hey you do almost anything to get rid of that pain and make sure that your future baby is staying safe in your belly.
It seems to have work for me because we are now 5w5days pregnant with our first baby 😀

I use cyclogest as well, also inserted rectally. 2 x 400mg daily, is kept non viable pregnancies in place before, so definitely works!

When I did intramuscular shots (not progesterone) for 2 months before, I did my own thighs as it was easier, but when the nurse did them it was butt. I could have also got hubby to do arms but didn't need to. I must admit I had a mini meltdown one day about them as well. It's gets a bit much from time to time. Big :hug: xx

Just realised this is a mega old post lol!

PP- I will definitely remember that info in case I need to do any shots again!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->