so sad today for my 4 1/2 year old son

angelmummy

Mum of 2 boys & 1 angel
Reaction score
today is the first day he has had to go to school with his eye patch on over his right eye. i put it on him at the classroom door and instead of running in like usual he just stood there till the teacher took him in and instead of doing all his normal things like putting his bag on the peg and getting his name card he just stood there looking so sad. :nope:

i felt terrible even though if he wears it 3 hours a day his sight will improve and then he might not even need his glasses so i know its the best thing, but seeing him so sad, i came out and sobbed all the way home. :cry::cry:

i am sure he will be fine, but just worried that it will make him hate school.

probably nothing anyone can say really to this thread but just need to vent. feel so sad for my little man. :nope:

didnt want to R&R x
I hope your little boy is ok at school today x It would have broken my heart too x
Lots of cuddles when he gets home xxx

:hugs::hugs::hugs:

Bless him ... I'm sure he will be fine Hon - once he gets used to the different perspective that using only one eye gives he'll be running around with his friends just like he normally does :hugs::hugs:

When I had eye patches my mum put stickers / transfers on them and I got to choose one each day...it made it a lot better for me :)

Thank you for your replies. I rang mid morning and they said he was fine. He had just been his normal self after about 10 mins of being quiet!!! I also checked at home time and they said he had been completely okay.

He told me that he had worn it all morning and he sounded quite proud of himself and he said he had been fine and then told me all that he had done today. So he was fine, so relieved it went okay. Said his friends had asked him whey he was wearing it and he told them it was to make his eye better. so at least he knows. bless him.

i feel so relieved now i am having a drink!!!! lol lol
xx

glad he got on okay :)x

Glad he got on OK hun. My LO needs one of her eyes patching because she has a squint. Still waiting for the referral to come through!

Tegans mama, thanks for your reply. he was fine and now wears it quite happily for school each morning for 3 hours. i am sure you lo will be fine too. i think its harder for us to see them with a patch on than it is for them. kids seem to adapt ok, i just felt as if i was making him do something awful, but i know its for his own good!!

hope your lo's appointment goes okay when you get it. x

Hi my daughter used to wear a patch on one eye, but I used to put it on her after school so she didn't have to wear it to school. However, she was 7 or 8 at the time and was embarrassed to go out with it on.

She no longer has to wear the patches and we've also been told she only needs to wear her glasses for reading/watching TV etc. Definitely worth it!

I had to wear an eye patch when I was little at nursery and school and it didn't affect me too much. Most 4 and a half year olds will notice to start with but will treat him the same as before. :) xx

I really feel for you :cry: I was gutted a few days ago when my three year old commented on his speech problem for the first time. It was heartbreaking.

I am sure he will be fine. Children are so resilient - but it doesn't make us mothers feel any better does it.

Hope he gets on okay - let us know!

Just to up-date. Nathan has been wearing his patch now at school for just over 2 weeks and is quite happy wearing it. He is just his normal self in the class room his teacher told us and she even took some photos of him wearing it and playing so we could see.

i feel better now knowing that he is happier wearing it and that its helping his eyes.

its good that he is only 4 1/2 nearly 5 and the are too little to be cruel like older kids can be. By the time he is 8 and kids get more cruel there will be no need to wear it as the crucial time is up to the age of 8 with a patch then after that there is not much they can do.

thanks for your support ladies x

I had to wear an eye patch when I was about 6. It wasn't the coolest thing but I got through it!

I'm sure all your LOs will be fine :hugs:

Awww bless him, kids are often a lot tougher than we think :hugs: glad to hear he's adjusted so well and fingers crossed to no glasses in the future! xx

I honestly wouldn't worry too much, kids cope with a lot more than you think. I had to wear a patch over my eye when i was 4 for nearly a year and a half and i coped fine with it :)

Aw bless him. An excuse for Mummy to make a fuss of him tonight me thinks :winkwink:

"Yes darling, of course you can have sweets before your tea" :haha:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->