Solids/formula/5mths but needs 51oz?!?!

kettle28

finally in 3rd tri!!
Reaction score
I know there's a formula feeding board but more people on this one :)

21wks and weighing in at 20.5lbs. Exc formula fed, formula needs by weight equal 51ozs!!! 7ozs every 3hrs would be only way!!!!!

Only getting 30-35 ozs into him, have to keep to 3-3.5hrs as reflux baby, frequency of feeds makes him wake often in the night though!

Thinking of starting solids now to get him on 3meals and snacks etc as soon as so that the little monkey is full!! He might get done decent 'z's then :)

What do you think?

(He can hold himself up supported, can sit well in highchair (tried him with purée and he swallows well) and meets all the signs for weaning).

Is he losing weight or dropping significantly in centiles (like say he used to be at 50th centile but now is 20th)? If not, I personally wouldn't stress about it. He's a big baby for his age and if he isn't hungry, then I'd listen to his hunger cues and not give him more than he'd take. Me personally I'd also hold off on solids awhile longer. Generally the thought is that solids up to a year aren't mean to be a significant source of calories, only about getting used to the idea of swallowing, experiencing different tastes and textures, etc. So if you start him on solids, he won't get that many extra calories, but will likely drop his formula amounts, which seems the opposite of what it seems like you're hoping to achieve. If he isn't losing weight or is failing to maintain a healthy weight, I'd just keep doing what you're doing. There's a reason he's only eating as much as he is and if he's otherwise healthy, I wouldn't try to override his instincts. Are you treating the reflux? If he's uncomfortable, that might be one reason his isn't eating as much (again, might not be solved by solids though).

I agree, just give him the amount he is wanting. You don't need to try to force extra on him just because its what is said he should be having by his weight. My son is also big, and I've never given him over 6 oz in a feeding, and that's only at bedtime, or first bottle in the morning. All other bottles are 3-5 oz, depending if they are with a meal or not.

Since you aren't on solids yet, I think 5-7 oz is plenty per feed, depending how much he wants to take. Mine never could take more than 5 oz during the day because he just spits it back up if its more than that (even with his weight, being big for his age, etc, he still can't handle more than that)

Yeh, that's the thing, he's 21lbs nearly at 21wks, and is a nice chunky baby! He's not gaining as much now but lengthwise he's in 6-9mth clothes as well as girthwise! So he seems ok to me in that respect.

I'm a worrywart!

X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back