Some Nursery advice plz!

Mynx

Mum of 2 Gorgeous Girls!!
Reaction score
Hey girls.. I know it's a bit early to be thinking about yet, but I really need some advice on this!

We live in a 2 bedroom flat and my 16 year old has her own room. Obviously when the Bean comes along, I wont be expecting my daughter (she'll be 17 by then) to share her room with a new baby, or even a small child as they get older. I wont be asking her to find her own place or anything like that. We've assured her that her room is her room while she's still living here. Simple.

AAAnyway.. this sounds awful but bear with me!

I have a very large storage cupboard as so many of these flats do because of the lack of attic space. It's huge. It's almost like a box room just a little smaller. I was actually thinking of making this cupboard a nursery. There would be enough room for the cot and a couple of small units to store clothes etc in.

OMG it sounds awful that I wanna put our baby in a cupboard!!

At first I was thinking that we could use the cupboard as like a walk in wardrobe type thing for the baby but looking at properly, I realised that a cot would fit in there with no problems. Being a cupboard there are no windows but I was thinking that maybe taking the door off and putting up a voile curtain would be ok and maybe getting a fan or something put in to keep it cool when needed. There's no need to heat the room as on the other side of the partition wall is a radiator so that room is never cold. What do you girls think? We're gonna be pushed for space so I'm trying to think out of the box so to speak.

What would you girls do?

I think its a great idea:hugs::hug:

Just make sure there is enought ventilation (I think the taking the doors off will do just fine) :D

Certainly sounds like an idea, without upsetting anyone. If you're taking the door off, it's only gonna be an open planned area, plus babes will only be sleeping in there. Not as if they play when really little in their rooms.

Kinda make do and mend...

its not horrible we have a maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaassive cuboard too would use it if push came to shove. Its big enough to put a single bed in and a tv on a tv stand etc.

I also think its a great idea. When my mum had my youngest sister, they actually built a wall in the biggest bedroom (Mine & other sister's) making a little room just long enough to fit the cot against the wall, and did exactly what you said about the door. When we got permission to build an extension (now my bedroom) they just knocked the wall down again. You'd never know now, but it was an excellent solution when they needed it

Aww thanks girls. It sounded so awful when I thought about it... putting a baby in a cupboard! Social Services!!! But the more I think about it, and also the encouragement from you guys, the more it makes sense.
By the time Bean is old enough to want to play in his/her own room, my daughter will have moved out so her room can then be used. As long as I make sure there is a bed for her to crash in when she needs it then it wont ever be a problem.

Thanks again ladies! :hug:

Been doing some measurings and workings out and I should be able to get a cot in there and a couple of storage type thingies, so it's a start... I think I'll be able to view it more as a nursery once all the junk is gone from there lol! At the moment, it looks like I'll be putting baby in amongst the paint, toolbox, xmas decs and various other DIY stuff :rofl:

when my sister and husband lived in a one bedroom flat they ahd a huge cupboard which was where my neice's bed was! the flat had huge rooms but because there wasnt a great deal of room they eventually got a new 2 bedroom flat when she was 2. I think if it will work it will work, its only for baby to sleep in, right? sounds good to me xx

you know an estate agent would probably try to sell it as a 'box-bedroom' rather than a cupboard anyway, so I say go for it!

sound like that cupboard is not that small the way you describe it anyway ...i am sure it will be perfect for bean :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->