some questions, lol

florabean1981

mum to Harry 06/10/09
Reaction score
Sorry in advance for this, but I have come up with a few questions, and I feel like a numpty for asking them :dohh:

Some background; I've been breastfeeding Harry since he was born, 9 weeks ago and we've been very lucky not to encounter any major problems with BFing, other than the tiniest of blisters ojn one boobs & a teeny little crack in the other at around 4weeks, both of which cleared up in a couple of days thanks to good old lansinoh. He has a good latch, appears to feed well on the whole & we've not had any issues like mastitus, thrush, bleeding nipples or mega-pain... yet, lol. I do however, have some observations I've noticed with our feeding, which is where these questions have come from.

Harry's feeding pattern has changed significantly in the past week... Is it normal for a 2 month old to want to feed ALL day & refuse sleep, but then sleep through the entire night from 10/11pm ish to 6/7am ish?

Is it normal for my bbs to feel really delated an 'unfull' now, compared to before when I they would only feel like that after a feed, then get bigger and harder between each feed etc?

When defrosting EBM, how long can you leave it in the fridge once it's defrosted before it goes off? (He has 1 EBM bottle at about 8pm each night which his daddy gives him).

I noticed I'm looking a bit lopsided atm, how can I stop this, or lessen it, at least? (LO always feeds off both bbs these days, and I always alternate which one I give first- is that right?)

How much, on average, should a baby put on each week if they're BFed?
If they dont put on that much (but are still gaining), and still have plenty of wet nappies, react well to pinch test, no sucken fontanelle, etc, are they just slow gainers, or should a mum start getting concerned?

Occasionally (maybe once a day, sometimes less) Harry kinda clamps down on my nipple towards the end of a feed... He only ever does this on my left boob though. Why could he be doing this? It hurts like hell... I thought maybe it was because I was empty or something, but when he does come off, I can still pinch my areola (sp?) & milk comes out. :shrug:

For those of you who express: When the milk separates, how much 'cream' do you tend to have on top? If, for example, I express 3oz off one boob, I usually have aout 1/2 an ounce of the creamy hindmilk stuff that settles on top in the fridge- should I have more, or is that about right? Or is there no right & wrong, lol?

I know it's normal for BFed babies to go quite a while sometimes without having a bowel movement, but if it appears to be hurting, or the baby is straining, could that be a sign of a problem? harry has only had 2 poos in 5 days & cries when he passes bottom wind (yet he brings up burps really well :shrug: ) & seems to really strain when he did his last poo yesterday...

Also, now that he's been sleeping through the night, should I wake him, or just let him get on with it? Would waking him & giving him a feed 1/2 way through the night lessen how much he wants to feed during the day?

And finally, how does a mum/baby get thrush? I know the symptoms, but never wondered before about the actual causes of a yeast infection, lol. Is it just something that happens to some people, or is it something you catch? Are there things you can do to prevent it occurring? Is it something that some people are just more prone to getting than others & some people are lucky enough to never have it? (so far I fall into the lucky catagory... probably just jinxed us saying that, hehe)

I sometimes leak quite a lot... Does this get better with time and as your supply settles, or should I just get used to it?

I think there were more questions, but ah well, I cant remember them now. (Being a mum has turned my brain all squishy)

Sorry for all the Qs. I meant to ask the BFing councellor at the cafe yesterday, but there were loadsa people there & I felt stupid for asking Qs like that, as everyone else is really experienced. (Harry is the youngest baby in the group- the next youngest is 17weeks, and the rest are all in the 6-9mth ages, so I feel kinda silly at times :dohh:

Thanks in advance for any of your replies! :hugs:

You've been doing it longer than me but I thought i'd put my two penneth (sp) in

Harry's feeding pattern has changed significantly in the past week... Is it normal for a 2 month old to want to feed ALL day & refuse sleep, but then sleep through the entire night from 10/11pm ish to 6/7am ish?

Not a clue but wish noah would (would love a good nights sleep)

Is it normal for my bbs to feel really delated an 'unfull' now, compared to before when I they would only feel like that after a feed, then get bigger and harder between each feed etc?

Mine still do the empty after feed full before feed feel. I have researched and found out as suypply regulates this happens less.

When defrosting EBM, how long can you leave it in the fridge once it's defrosted before it goes off? (He has 1 EBM bottle at about 8pm each night which his daddy gives him).

I defrost overnight in fridge and make sure to use it the day it defrosted, although rarely need to defrost as I express several times a day normally.

I noticed I'm looking a bit lopsided atm, how can I stop this, or lessen it, at least? (LO always feeds off both bbs these days, and I always alternate which one I give first- is that right?)

:shrug:

If they dont put on that much (but are still gaining), and still have plenty of wet nappies, react well to pinch test, no sucken fontanelle, etc, are they just slow gainers, or should a mum start getting concerned?

I was told as long as they are gaining and not dropping down the percentiles not to worry. Last time Noah was weighted he gained 11oz in 2 weeks

Occasionally (maybe once a day, sometimes less) Harry kinda clamps down on my nipple towards the end of a feed... He only ever does this on my left boob though. Why could he be doing this? It hurts like hell... I thought maybe it was because I was empty or something, but when he does come off, I can still pinch my areola (sp?) & milk comes out.

:shrug:

For those of you who express: When the milk separates, how much 'cream' do you tend to have on top? If, for example, I express 3oz off one boob, I usually have aout 1/2 an ounce of the creamy hindmilk stuff that settles on top in the fridge- should I have more, or is that about right? Or is there no right & wrong, lol?

Just checked the milk in the fridge my 3oz bottle has just over 1/2oz although I have noticed morning milk has less and night milk has more cream.

I know it's normal for BFed babies to go quite a while sometimes without having a bowel movement, but if it appears to be hurting, or the baby is straining, could that be a sign of a problem? harry has only had 2 poos in 5 days & cries when he passes bottom wind (yet he brings up burps really well ) & seems to really strain when he did his last poo yesterday...

Noah niggles and cries if he hasn't poo'd he then gets a frown and I hear the poo its a right raspberry noise and then he gets a proper content look on his face. He's like a bear with a sore head when he needs to poo.

Also, now that he's been sleeping through the night, should I wake him, or just let him get on with it? Would waking him & giving him a feed 1/2 way through the night lessen how much he wants to feed during the day?

I was told if he's not loosing weight then dont wake them to feed they will wake up when hungry.

And finally, how does a mum/baby get thrush? I know the symptoms, but never wondered before about the actual causes of a yeast infection, lol. Is it just something that happens to some people, or is it something you catch? Are there things you can do to prevent it occurring? Is it something that some people are just more prone to getting than others & some people are lucky enough to never have it? (so far I fall into the lucky catagory... probably just jinxed us saying that, hehe)

Noah got thrush and then I caught it off him. Thrush thrives in warm moist areas, but an overgrowth can occur when people are run down too. It also spreads fast. Also breast milk is sweet which the yeast loves.

I sometimes leak quite a lot... Does this get better with time and as your supply settles, or should I just get used to it?

I think there were more questions, but ah well, I cant remember them now. (Being a mum has turned my brain all squishy)

Not sure if any of that helps but there ya go

I can't answer many of those... except to say that my boobs rarely have that 'obviously hard and full' feeling anymore, it happened on Tuesday when we were out shopping but Toby had gone for 4 full hours before waking for a feed (which is pretty much the longest he's ever gone) so they were starting to feel slightly fuller, but otherwise, no they feel squishy regardless of whether it's before, during or after a feed.

Also, although i think the leakiness does normally settle down a bit, i think some people are generally just leakier than others.

Sorry i can't be more help!

I didn't read through the other replies, so sorry if this is repeating what's already been said...

Yes, I think some bf babies do this. My LO feeds at least hourly during the day at the moment, apart from when she is asleep. She also cluster feeds in the evening. She sleeps through at night for an average of 10 hours.

My bbs never felt big or hard until LO started sleeping long periods. They do now if it's been a long time (6 hours or more) since her last feed, but not at any other time.

Not sure... kellysmom (the website) has info on this though

If you are confident that you have plenty of milk, you could try feeding from one side only for each 3 hour block of the day - if that makes sense? Not sure if it would help or not but I think it can for some people? If LO needs two sides though I'd keep giving him two.

4-7 ounces a week, averaged out over a period of 4 weeks, is normal - according to the NHS information.

Occasionally (maybe once a day, sometimes less) Harry kinda clamps down on my nipple towards the end of a feed... He only ever does this on my left boob though. Why could he be doing this? It hurts like hell... I thought maybe it was because I was empty or something, but when he does come off, I can still pinch my areola (sp?) & milk comes out. :shrug:

Not sure - my LO 'chews' everything - maybe he likes the feeling for some reason? Sorry that wasn't very helpful...

That's interesting - I think I had less than that generally - I don't suppose there is a right or wrong because the composition of breastmilk varies between babies and at different times of the day/year... it also changes as your baby gets older.

I know it's normal for BFed babies to go quite a while sometimes without having a bowel movement, but if it appears to be hurting, or the baby is straining, could that be a sign of a problem? harry has only had 2 poos in 5 days & cries when he passes bottom wind (yet he brings up burps really well :shrug: ) & seems to really strain when he did his last poo yesterday...

It is very unlikely that a bf baby is going to get constipated. They often 'strain' because they are not used to their bodily functions yet. Again that wasn't very helpful... sorry!

If he is gaining enough weight, happy and alert you can let him sleep through. He would let you know if he was hungry. I'm not sure if waking him would lessen day feeds, but it might discourage long sleep periods, and introduce a new problem if he needs settling back to sleep after being woken - if that makes sense?

I'm not sure, but I sleep naked to let my boobies 'air'... which I think makes them feel better - not sure if this would help with thrush or not.

Lol I have got used to it.

I hope that was helpful! :)

Sorry in advance for this, but I have come up with a few questions, and I feel like a numpty for asking them :dohh:

Don't be silly -- no such thing as a stupid question!

I would think this would be unusual, esp the not sleeping during the day. But as long as he is happy, healthy, growing, hitting milestones and everything else normally, I would count my blessings for a good night's sleep!

YES! Perfect timing. Your body adjusts to LOs needs right at this age and your bbs won't feel as engorged anymore. No worries, they are still producing enough!

Check here:
https://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/milkstorage.html#storage

Start him on the one that he finished last... ie one feed go left then right, next feed go right then left. I'm lopsided, too, but always have been. :dohh:

I wouldn't get concerned unless they rapidly start dropping in percentiles or start to seem poorly. Some are slower growers than others.

Erm.. dunno! Does he seem to do it in frustration? Or is he just playing? (Yes, playing... my LO plays with my bbs all the time... at which time I take him off and give him a toy! LOL)

Sounds like a good amount to me!!! I supposedly have loads of cream and get a similar amount to what you are describing.

Yeah, that seems a bit concerning. Maybe it has to do with something you are eating that is not agreeing with him? I wouldn't panic yet, but I would investigate further.

It might... but I wouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth! LOL If he is happy and healthy, let him sleep when he wants! At least that is what I would do. But if you would rather he sleep less at night, give it a try!

Yeast is everywhere naturally. Thrush takes over when the yeast is given the right environment. Make sure to let your nips air dry well after every feeding and you will have less problems with thrush. But sometimes it just happens anyway. :dohh:

Yes, it gets better. But if you have a good supply, you should expect it to happen now and again indefinitely. Get used to it. :)

My brain is squishy, too! hahaha!

Thankyou so much for your replies! :) I really appreciate you all taking the time to answer all my questions & also putting my mind at ease.

Harry has now slept through the night 7 nights in a row (woo-hoo). He has been farting like a trooper the last couple of days, so I'm wondering if he's been suffering with trapped wind... I've eaten A LOT of foods with garlic in this week, lol, so maybe that's not been agreeing with him :dohh:

He is generally a happy, smiley little boy, gaining, on average, about 6oz a week, & is now very long! I managed to swaddle him with a dummy in yesterday & he slept for 2 hours, and was like a different boy when he woke up after tea and we had a lovely evening together on the playmat, then bath & bed later on. So far today, he's been back to his usual smiley, kicky self, leaving me time to get dressed & do the housework for a change, haha!

But yeah, thanks for your replies :)

Sounds great! :thumbup:

I would definitely cut out the garlic. I have found that it doesn't agree with my LO either -- which makes me nuts as I love garlic! :hissy:

Also, onions. :roll: My LO doesn't like the taste of my milk if I eat onions. :sigh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->