Some TTC Advice Needed Please

LulaBug

Mum of 6
Reaction score
Could I get a description of how I'd go about checking for my cervix, the cervical mucus and the temping process please?

I've got PCOS, not sure if any of it will work for me, but just in dire need of help with it all cos not sure how it works. :cry:

Here are some good instructions on how to feel for your cervix: Check Cervix Position

As far as deciphering the texture, position, and openness, I use the following rules of thumb when checking my own. Things may differ for you, but hopefully it will give you somewhere to start.

Position: Use the knuckle of a finger (I use the index finger) as a guide. If my finger doesn't enter to the knuckle when touching the cervix, it's low. If it enters right around where the knuckle is, it's medium. If the finger is inserted past the knuckle (often times far past), it's high.

Opening: I feel a small crease-like spot in the cervix, where the openins is. Sometimes it feels really tight and tiny, barely there - I consider that closed - I notice this the morning after O and during the TWW. When it's open, the "crease" is very easy to feel (much more like a hole) - I notice this most during AF and O. Medium is considered somewhere in between the two - I notice it a lot throughout my cycle.

Texutre: Yet another one that you kind of learn as you go, if it's soft and squishy like your lips, it's considered soft. If it's hard/firm, like touching the tip of your nose, it's considered firm. And of course, if it's somewhere in the between, it's considered medium.

Cervical mucus: I check this while I'm doing the CP check, as I rarely have enough to leak out onto my underwear. Creamy is white and feels/looks like lotion. Egg white is clear and stretchy, while watery would be clear without the stretch. Dry is lack of CM, and sticky is typically white and tacky feeling (not lotion or stretchy).

Temping you should do every morning, following a minimum of 3-4 hours of unbroken sleep. Try your best to temp at the same time, as this will give you the most accurate results. It's also best to start temping at the beginning of your cycle (once AF shows or finishes ups) so that you can see the temp changes throughout the cycle. During and after AF, your temps will be lower (they differ for everyone), but fairly consistent. The day after ovulation, your temperature should shift upwards by 0.5-1.0 degrees F, either slowly over 2-3 days or drastically over night (again, this differs between individuals, sometimes even cycles). If AF shows at the end of the cycle, your temps will shift downward again; if you get a BFP, they'll stay high (or go higher). You should use a fertility charting site (fertilityfriend.com) or ovufriend.com are often mentioned around here.

That's a LOT of text, but hopefully it'll help get you started with things :)

Thank you so much for your reply.

The only problem I have is that I have reeeeeeeeeally small hands/fingers so don't know if I can check my cervix, but I'll have a go.

What kind of thermometer should I be using? One that goes in the ear or the mouth? Any recommendations? :) x

Most people recommend using a Basal Body Thermometer. I found mine in the same area of the store as regular thermometers (and they cost about the same price). The difference between a BBT and regular thermometer is that the BBT temps to the 100th degree, while a regular one temps to the 10th degree.

In terms of where to temp, it's recommended to do it orally or vaginally. I prefer orally because I can pop it in my mouth (under the tongue) without too much fuss, especially early in the morning. I've read that vaginal temps are more consistent and should be used if you are a mouth breather. It's really up to you.

I forgot to mention earlier that you should definitely temp before getting out of the bed, talking, or doing anything else. Moving and such can cause you temp to rise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"