Someones Guide On Baby Walkers And The Dangers!

actually I think the MIL told me that she forgot to close a door once and Stan fell down a small flight of stairs whilst in his baby walker :rofl: :rofl:

I do think wobbs has a point though, house layouts are different here and a lot of apartments do seem to have stairs to them.

And I've also heard (don't know how true this is so don't shoot me) that they can delay walking and that's one of the reasons for them being banned

I've seen that too Vickie and someone else said it on another thread - poss even this one.

Maybe thats a because they are in it all day situation - like everything they should only be in them for periods not at every given moment. I will be using one with Megan again but thats between other things like floor/mat time, jumperoo, cuddles with Mummy Daddy, sitting up in bumbo etc etc

I agree with the moderation and think that things are taken way to far sometimes, don't use this because blah blah blah etc. Trust me we've done/given things to Hannah that I know others wouldn't agree with but so far she's fine ;)

We all have lol I remember a 'against the rules' thread I did someone spotted it in my journal and I think said that would be a good sticky but never got round to looking it back up.

As mentioned, those types of walkers are banned here, but I agree with the statement that nothing can subsitute adult supervision, regardless of what your child is in.

Personally (and this is just my belief) I think that one too many parents figured that they could leave their baby unattended and that's why they're banned today. I do think that an exersaucer can give the same stimulation but without the mobility, but I don't overly agree with the walkers on rollers being banned.

Just my opinion :hugs:

Kathryn has yet to fall over or anything in her walker. She's only "hurt" her leg in it (she barely cried) when she first got it because she was trying to jump in it :dohh:

While I think most of it is common sense, you just don't put a baby, much less in a moveable object next to stairs, you don't leave things down that could hurt them whether they are in a walker or on the floor on their own. But I've also heard of the ones that can fold collapsing on babies. Also they can tip them over...I mean honestly if you put your baby in something like a walker/exersaucer/swing, it's usually to get a minute to clean the kitchen or go to the bathroom or something like that, so who is honestly following their kid watching their every move in the walker? It only takes a minute for them to try and get out and flip it over. I don't like walkers, I don't know really i fthey should be banned, they aren't here, but I still won't buy them. I had an exersaucer for the boys and that would give them something to play in and it can't be tipped, we also had a johnny jump up for them to play in, as far as learning to walk they walked on their own, never needed a walker for that or anything.

this is interesteing, Chloe has had walker for ages but I only put the wheels on it yesterday. She loved it and therefore will continue to use it.

She kept trying to get through the cat flap in it!

Chloe has always weight bared (is that a word?) on her tip toes and I asked my HV about it and as told that is perfectly normal for hildren to learn to weight bare and walk on their toes and not to worry about it....another example of 'depends who you speak to?'......

We too were told here in Bulgaria, that walkers can delay walking. We don't have a walker as we don't have enough room, we the one which goes around a central activity station, great, she just goes round and round, but she is getting faster. I have actually tried to tip it up whilst she's been in it, obviously I have hold of her, but need her weight to see what the chances are. Highly unlikely to happen but nothing is 100% so I don't trust anything totally. She does go in it quite a bit, but I also have her on floor, tummy quite a bit too. She's very active. She wants to be up all the time, standing with our help, no interest in crawling at all, just wants to be up!

I don't see why they should be banned, maybe redesigned, after all, research is done all the time and we learn something new every day. Babies love to be up and about but we wouldn't get anything done at all if we didn't have walkers, etc. I think nas long as you are sensible, I don't see what the problem is.

Gabbi is actually walking better after being in the round about walker. She pushes her bum out of the seat to walk, so she is, in a sense, taking her own weight. She's also taking an interest in reaching for the top of the cot and trying to pull herself up. Oh she's growing so fast, but that's another subject!!

I do agree with someone who said in an earlier post about crawling being dangerous. Gabbi is more like a seal, pushes up on arms and moves that way on her belly, funny. But within seconds, she is next to the table, or the comp0uter, or the fireplace, scares the hell out of me, she's so quick.

I had a walker when i was little-and fell out the front door in it and down 3 stone stairs.

my mum has a porch outside her front door leading into the front garden-she left the door open between the living room and the hallway "for 2 secs" whilst she took a cup of tea to my dad who was working in the garden.
apparently she heard this ALMIGHTY crash and a scream and there i was,hanging upside down in my walker at the foot of the stairs.

i cracked my head :shock: and cut under my chin badly. im 22 now and still have my scar where they stitched me up! :dohh: :rofl:

there's always an exception to the rule eh?? :laugh2:

i would still put Brooke in a walker though-imo if they're used correctly they're good fun! x

Your right Doona theres always got to be one :rofl: you rebel child!!

You hear all sorts of things about walkers, bumbos, etc...but i think it's down to common sense and not leaving them 'for a sec' ....i personally don't have a walker down to not having room with the jumperoo right now, but i'm not sure i'd have one anyway....hmm it's one of those things i'd be thinking about and wondering whether to try one or not.

The architecture and apartment/house outline is definitely much different here than it is in UK. They're not banned over here but Lola doesn't have one yet, I am considering buying it for her though. Might be fun :)
I remember being warned by Lola's pediatrician about the dangers of leaving your child alone in a walker....ummm :dohh:

But it os good that they warn people, you never know with people.

what next.
amber never had an accident she was extremely wild in hers.

if you watch your baby it should be fine surely?!?!! ive never heard of anyone having an accident in a walker....

It is sad that baby walkers are banned here but I have heard many of a personal story where a baby has gone down the stairs in one of these. Many parents think that their baby is safe while in the walker and will not watch their child closely.

I think the ban was even before April 2007 because they definitely were not for sale even when Amanda was born in 2001.

Whether they help the child walk or not, I am not sure but my kids have learned to walk just fine without them and at the same rate as other babies.

Why would you put your baby at the top of the stairs in a walker?! :dohh: I have one and will be using it. I think alot of them accidents are down to the parents leaving the baby unsupervised and lack of common sence! My baby will use the walker in the living room..and there is no stairs he can fall down, no hot ovens, no hot drinks on a coffee table or anywhere else and no sharp corners!

My 1st never had an accident on hers and I am convinced her walker got her walking at 9.5 months!
Daisy has just got hers and loves it already!

My SIL lived in a flat with her daughter and left the top door open and she fell down the stairs in her walker:cry: for this reason we have fitted a stair gate at the top of our stairs just incase someone accidentally leaves our top door open
(Niece was fine BTW!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->