Something happened at the creche

LaughOutLoud

Reaction score
...this is a couple weeks back and its started playing up on my mind again as LO will be starting nursery soon....after your opioions girls...

I was going on a course at our local Sure Start and LO was at the creche there for 2 hours with staff we were familiar with. We had a weeks break due to the school break and LO started napping earlier so when we did resume the creche and my course it was running during her nap time. I had tried to put her to sleep in the sroller before we got there but she stayed awake and was so crancky there.

Whilst I was upstairs on the course LO was down in the creche and various of my course buddies were being called downstairs by the creche when their LO's were playing up and not settling. They then called me and this was the first time since I had started using the creche but when I went down and peeped she was being held by one of the staff and they were singing. LO wasnt crying so I didnt disturb and went back up.

At the end of the session, I went to pick her up and was suprised to see she was just standing by herself all alone and bawling her eyes out. I went to her and picked her up and she continued crying and also very distressed about her 'minnie' bag which was chucked somewhere in the middle of the room. I went to one of the staff and they just said she hadnt been herself and she just wanted to be carried.

I felt so guilty and needless to say didnt go back after but do keep thinking if I should have said/done something at the time. I know they were having a hard time as all the kids were playing up but to think that LO was just crying on her own and she was left to stand there for god knows how long breaks my heart. :growlmad: Do you think im just being sensitive??

ah, bless her x

not really sure what to say about that. on the one hand it obviously sounds awful that she was crying by herself, but on the other you have to remember the staffing ratios - in the baby room at hayden's nursery it is one member of staff to three children, and as they get older it gets less. if they really were all playing up it would have been impossible for them to comfort them all at once. not sure why they wouldn't have come for you again, though :shrug:

ah, bless her x

not really sure what to say about that. on the one hand it obviously sounds awful that she was crying by herself, but on the other you have to remember the staffing ratios - in the baby room at hayden's nursery it is one member of staff to three children, and as they get older it gets less. if they really were all playing up it would have been impossible for them to comfort them all at once. not sure why they wouldn't have come for you again, though :shrug:

Thanks for your reply. Thats the thing, they didnt call me again so I assumed she was ok. I felt they handled it wrong.

you weren't to know. :hugs:
i don't think you're being sensitive. i know i would feel the same.

I would feel the same too.
When I pick Ruby up at the end of the day from nursery and the children are all clearly tired etc, the staff seem to do a good job of cuddling multiple children at once in the book corner or whatever! Nobody needs to be standing on their own crying :(

Thanks for your replies all. I didnt know what to think or say at the time but couldnt sleep thinking about it. Think i will say something....

i would feel the same too
BUT
I wouldn't say anything though because having worked at a daycare, childcare center more than once in my life, it comes with the territory. I even had to sign something once that said I would never say "your child had a bad day today." so it's probably not the fault of the women that were there. it's a hard job.

I wouldn't leave a 4 year old in my class crying on their own and I have 30 children to look after, often on my own, so I wouldn't be happy at all if that had happened to Daisy.

:hugs: I bet that was so hard to see.

It would upset me too :hugs:

I would feel the same too.
When I pick Ruby up at the end of the day from nursery and the children are all clearly tired etc, the staff seem to do a good job of cuddling multiple children at once in the book corner or whatever! Nobody needs to be standing on their own crying :(

hmm, good point - there is plenty of room on a grown-up's lap for several small children, and i have also seen staff at hayden's nursery cuddling more than one child, so it can and should be done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->