Something i am worried about because I am a teen/young mom

keljt1127

Reaction score
is mine and his parents telling me/bf on how to raise our son.

I have already gotton " oh you need/make sure to do this/ you need to do that"

I like advice but i just hope that even though i will be a young mom at 19 that I want to raise him on how I want to... not what my mom or his mom thinks is best!

I can already see his mom kicking me and the baby out of there house before 9pm because " the baby needs to go to sleep... its too late for the baby to be up" well...he is not YOUR BABY.... I decide when he goes to bed! stuff like that....

ugh my Oh's parents are FULL of unwanted advice they stress me out everytime I visit, comments about the names I like , comments about how I should feed, lectures. FFS. I know how you feel. I just literally ignore them.

My parents were a lot like that and so were OH's parents. I still live with my parents, so sometimes they make comments and I just have to tell them "NO! I'll do it this way!" Although in the very beginning, I sort of appreciated my mom's advice even though it got on my nerves because I didn't really know how to do some stuff and they helped me out loads. Even now, if LO is sick or if he has trapped wind, he'll just scream his little heart out and I feel so helpless, but my parents know what to do to make him feel better. There's positives to it, definitely. But I know the feeling, my mom is always like "Have you changed his diaper lately? It looks heavy!" (when it's not even heavy). And she'll constantly bug me to brush his teeth, when I DO! But she's never around. It can be frustrating, but at the end of the day it's your baby, not theirs, so when they make comments - tell them how you feel about it.

I know how you feel ..
OH's parents or my parents havent started with unwanted advice just yet, but i'm not holding by breath that they wont!
My OH is 20 and i'm 18...
My OH's younger brother (who is my age) .. has two kids and i've sat and watched just how much their mum 'takes over' .. i mean, they might appreciate it, and don't mind stepping back..
but i definately wont like it, or accept it.
there's helping and being there, then there's trying to take over!
I think my parents are going to be fine though as I've already told them that i wont be having them take over, i chose to have my little girl, i'll be looking after her!
.. OH's abit of a push over when it comes to his parents though "/

I think weather you're 18 or 38, your parents will always think you want advice on how to raise your children :dohh: unfortunately, Teen Mums do have a label for being less capable. Yes we're young, and maybe we're not in the situation we'd like to be in best to raise a child, but it doesnt mean we're going to do any less of a good job!

Take the advice you want, and brush off what you dont. But i wouldnt get into arguements as that will just stress you out, and that would not be good for LO. Also, it will give them a reason to say you're "too immature".. If they strongly suggest something you dont agree with, just tell them thanks, but no thanks. :hugs:

I think weather you're 18 or 38, your parents will always think you want advice on how to raise your children :dohh: unfortunately, Teen Mums do have a label for being less capable. Yes we're young, and maybe we're not in the situation we'd like to be in best to raise a child, but it doesnt mean we're going to do any less of a good job!

Take the advice you want, and brush off what you dont. But i wouldnt get into arguements as that will just stress you out, and that would not be good for LO. Also, it will give them a reason to say you're "too immature".. If they strongly suggest something you dont agree with, just tell them thanks, but no thanks. :hugs:

^^ Wss!

Although it's probably not just your parents lol

FOBs mom has started in on that with me. And, to make things worse, I'm in the process of moving in with them. So I can only imagine when they get to see me 24/7 they will really have some stuff to say. I told FOBs mom that I really appreciated her advise. I try to just ignore the stuff that I don't agree with/find helpful. Some of the things she has said have been good. I think it just bugs me because I do wonder if she would be like this if I was 26 not 16. Probably!

Honestly I think it happens no matter what age you are, hun. Parents are excited to be grandparents and are proud of how they raised you, and want you to be proud of how you raise yours. It does get frustrating all the time, but I just think about how my mom just really wants to be an involved grandparent, she is very proud of how she raised me, and that I should be thankful she even wants to help me. xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->