sooo money vs fun.

Discussion in 'Santa's Grotto' started by Midnight_Fairy, Nov 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Midnight_Fairy

Midnight_Fairy New baby J

How do you feel about money at christmas. We have savings, could afford to splurge but would rather not for some reason. I just feel like the item is more important than the cost. I feel like yes OH could spend 300 on me but if its an "easy" present (say laptop, camera) It does not mean as much. I dont want to sound ungrateful but I would be happy with a tenner lol.

This year I have got my kids involved in the shoebox scheme, I would really like them to adopt an animal or get involved with the charity where you buy goats and stuff for people abroad. I want them to realise its not all about the money.

I feel like christmas is way to commercial :(

I just want to sit by fire playing cards lol and back in the days when kids actually got excited over one present being a pack of cards. How cool is that.

2. DanielleM

DanielleM Well-Known Member

Definatley fun over money!! We have video of me oe Xmas morning about 6/7 years old actually jumping up and down so excited that I had got a pair of left handed scissors :shock: can you imagine kids now they would be like errr where is my 3ds/laptop/mobile!!!

One year Evan played for hours with a giant teapot with plastic cup and saucers inside that cost a fiver for hours on end, all the expensive stuff got left out!!

3. sabby52

sabby52 Mother, Nanny

Fun always comes first in our house, yes we do spend a lot at Christmas (we could spend more but choose not to) but we make sure the boys enjoy the simple things in life to.

Dan has only asked for one thing this year, granted it is slightly expensive but all he wants is that one thing.

Dec has said he only wants Lego and hotwheels.

I do go overboard on them at Christmas but I never spend more than I can afford and I like to treat them at Christmas, they really only get large/expensive toys at Christmas/Birthdays.

But Deffo FUN all the way :)

4. vix1989

vix1989 Baby Christmas <3

fun fun fun!
    i cant afford to but expensive presents this year.
    I think i can get away with it at the moment!
    taylors 4 and mia 2 so they dont understand values yet.

But we make sure we do nice things as a family during xmas.
    this year were going on a nice drive in the country on the day before xmas eve and having nice food.
    and play games with the kids and read xmas stories.
    We dont really need that much money tbh.
    The kids presents have come upto £80 each doesnt sound much but theyve got 15 presents each which is enough!
    i just like the excitment more then anything!

5. danniemum2be

danniemum2be ♥️

definitely fun over money. i have gone very OTT this year and have got OH a laptop but he has been so desperate for one and has worked his butt off getting his business off the ground the past few months and i think he deserves to be spoilt and i cant wait to see his face when he gets it on xmas day. but i also know he will love his photo calendar off maisie even more and it cost me a tenner!

but definitely fun over money xxx

6. Midnight_Fairy

I was not getting at anyone btw ( I am guilty of spoiling mine a bit) I do feel sad that they do expect a few presents and would be upset if they got just one, not going to lie lol but I wish it could be like that old days! xxx

7. Barbles

Barbles Mum to 1 & cooking 1 more

Phoebe last year opened her stocking upstairs, just a few little bits and was pleased as punch that father christmas had come & got her presents, she thought that was it & it made me think about how much we bought her & did she realy need it?
    I do spoil my kiddies but we do the fun things too, the atmosphere makes christmas not the gifts

8. danniemum2be

danniemum2be ♥️

the presents arent even my favourite part of xmas, its the getting together, the food, the plying games watching christmas films etc xxx

9. sabby52

sabby52 Mother, Nanny

Same here, tbh my fave part of Christmas is Christmas eve. I just love the whole being together, getting excited and eating lovely food :thumbup:

10. Midnight_Fairy

christmas eve is my fave day (and then xmas dinner) xx

11. danniemum2be

danniemum2be ♥️

ahhhh im too excited. its usually just me and maisie every day by ourselfs with OH working and all our family and friends are a 45 min drive away. so xmas eve SIL and Nephew come and stay and OH is off so its even more exciting for us. 37 more sleeps till xmas eve girlies!!!!! xx

12. vaniilla

vaniilla Well-Known Member

the tv ads starting in august says just how commercial christmas has become, I think we've become conditioned to think christmas = present spending panic!!!! maybe looking back in history might inspire us all, its a time of togetherness, cooking for everyone/eating, being merry, keeping warm and feeling festive,

if money was all christmas was about we'd feel festive all year round, the real magic comes from the time of year and the surprises not how much you spend imo, my favourite bit is decorating the house, really looking forward to making mince pies this year, lovely christmas scented candles, making a big roast dinner and seeing loved ones faces when they see what you've gotten them :flower:

13. country_girl8

country_girl8 Well-Known Member

i do feel tv ads are to blame quite alot of the time whenever u have cbeebies on or whateva theres always hundreds of toys advertised(expensive ones) and my daughters want them all. I have been very good this year bought stuff in sales etc and not gone ott.

14. Midnight_Fairy

It just seems like any excuse to advertise nowadays xx

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.