Soooo impressed with the hospital's baby-friendliness!(LONG!!!)

Luzelle

Reaction score
I came to Australia, having emigrated from South Africa, more than two months ago. My worries were quite big regarding the birth, in South Africa I knew what the practices were, but in Australia - well, I just had to hope for the best.
This weekend my husband and I went for our first birthing class. We were given lots of material to bring home and read. My husband is actively encouraged to be present at the birth and at the hospital, since he is my support person and the father of this little baby.
I thought I would have to battle for many of the things that I desire for the birth of the baby, but no! Let me give you examples of what I want and what I discovered, to my delight, is actually the standard practice and the way they believe in doing things.
Maybe this is because they have awesome midwives instead of just drs.

-You are encouraged to stay at home and use the bath or shower for pain relief during early labour, since the very atmosphere and the act of walking into the hospital makes you release adrenalin.
- I do not want to be offered drugs while labouring (the drugs and epidural are available, but will not be offered unless requested, and even then you will be encouraged to use alternative ways of pain relief first)
-I do not want to lie flat in bed, labouring, unless it is my own preference (they encourage walking, dancing, different positions, birthing ball rather than the bed, which they believe makes it more difficult for the baby to be born)
-I want to labour in the shower and toilet, if I wish to (they have big walk-in shower in the labour rooms, with chair, gymball, double shower heads etc. )
-I would prefer to be monitored as little as possible, and with as few internal exams as possible (they don't monitor constantly unless the baby is in danger, neither do they believe in doing internal exams in less than every 4 hrs and rather rely on external body queues from the woman)
-I want the lights to be dimmed (done as standard practice)
-I don't want an episiotomy unless it is extremely necessary (standard practice, they support the perineum with hot compresses during delivery of the head and talk you through doing it as slowly as possible)

Regarding right after the birth:
- The baby is not to be taken away from me unless it is a medical emergency (they don't believe in seperating mom and baby for at least an hour/2hrs to do weighing etc)
-I do not want the baby to be suctioned or slapped etc (they don't, they let the baby sneeze and cough to clear its airways on its own unless emergency)
-I don't want the cord to be clamped and cut immediately (they wait at least a few minutes, but I will make my wishes clear for it to happen only after about 15 minutes)
-One does not get an enema/shaved - they really don't worry about those natural things happening
-I don't want to get the hormone injection to birth the placenta immediately, but want to wait until the delayed cord cutting is complete. (one of the few things I will have to have in my birth plan - they don't want a completely physiological 3rd stage since we are so far 'in the bush' here, in case of haemorrhageing (sp???)
-I don't want the baby to be washed on the first day or immediately after birth (which they don't do)
- I don't want the baby to be given formula or anything else without me agreeing to it. (they don't believe in supplementing and encouraged me to bring a syringe or two with expressed frozen colostrum along if I can, since I already have heaps....:blush:)

All in all, I am very happy and impressed. The room/s for recovery or hospital stay afterwards even have these nice reclining leather chairs for the partner to sleep in, a dvd player, tv etc. And also, if you are a first time mom, they prefer you to stay a bit longer to get more help with the breastfeeding and the milk's 'coming in'. Not that you HAVE to. But it does sound really good. They even showed us videos on breast crawling and infant-led attachment to the breast. Cool, hey. I don't have the funds to have the home/water birth that I wanted, and the nearest birthing centre is a 2 and a half hour drive away, so I was not impressed... But now, I am happy and relaxed about the whole thing. Their motto is 'TRUST YOUR BODY'.:winkwink:

Sorry for the long post, it is so useful to let one's thoughts go once in a while and to review things.

This sounds like things are in Holland, except for the nice showers and gymballs and recovery rooms ^^ Bit more Spartan here.

Exactly the way it is here - and how it should be. When I turned up at hospital last time, I was taken straight to my own huge private labour suite. All the suites had an ensuite with shower and toilet and a pool for labour/ birth if you wanted to use it (no having to worry about not having one available.)
I begged for an epi nearer the end last time and the midwife told me I didn't need one and was doing so well. I didn't end up having one (and thank goodness!)
When baby was born, she was put straight on my naked chest and they (unknown to me) did all her checks for her apgar score while she was on me. I needed lots of stitching and they did that while I was still holding my baby. She had her first attempt at a feed, and when I said I was ready to get cleaned up, they took her away to give her vit K, and Tim helped clothe her. I don't think they cleaned her, because it is good for the baby to keep those protective oils on for a few days.
Over here, you are allowed to do basically whatever you want to with regards to your birth - Maori and Pacific Island cultures see birth as a celebration, so often there are whole families in the room during labour/ birth and hospitals allow that.
If I have to give birth in the hospital, I will not see it as the end of it all, because our facilities are so well equipped and very mother led, but I'll still prefer to give birth at home if I can!

That sounds great. Have you checked out Mybirth.com.au? They might have statistics on the particular hospital you are looking at. I have seen a few shocking hospital policies like if you are not breast feeding then there is no other option but supplementing because they don't allow stored breast milk. It really varies from hospital to hospital so I am glad you have found the right one for you.

I came to Australia, having emigrated from South Africa, more than two months ago. My worries were quite big regarding the birth, in South Africa I knew what the practices were, but in Australia - well, I just had to hope for the best.
This weekend my husband and I went for our first birthing class. We were given lots of material to bring home and read. My husband is actively encouraged to be present at the birth and at the hospital, since he is my support person and the father of this little baby.
I thought I would have to battle for many of the things that I desire for the birth of the baby, but no! Let me give you examples of what I want and what I discovered, to my delight, is actually the standard practice and the way they believe in doing things.
Maybe this is because they have awesome midwives instead of just drs.

-You are encouraged to stay at home and use the bath or shower for pain relief during early labour, since the very atmosphere and the act of walking into the hospital makes you release adrenalin.
- I do not want to be offered drugs while labouring (the drugs and epidural are available, but will not be offered unless requested, and even then you will be encouraged to use alternative ways of pain relief first)
-I do not want to lie flat in bed, labouring, unless it is my own preference (they encourage walking, dancing, different positions, birthing ball rather than the bed, which they believe makes it more difficult for the baby to be born)
-I want to labour in the shower and toilet, if I wish to (they have big walk-in shower in the labour rooms, with chair, gymball, double shower heads etc. )
-I would prefer to be monitored as little as possible, and with as few internal exams as possible (they don't monitor constantly unless the baby is in danger, neither do they believe in doing internal exams in less than every 4 hrs and rather rely on external body queues from the woman)
-I want the lights to be dimmed (done as standard practice)
-I don't want an episiotomy unless it is extremely necessary (standard practice, they support the perineum with hot compresses during delivery of the head and talk you through doing it as slowly as possible)

Regarding right after the birth:
- The baby is not to be taken away from me unless it is a medical emergency (they don't believe in seperating mom and baby for at least an hour/2hrs to do weighing etc)
-I do not want the baby to be suctioned or slapped etc (they don't, they let the baby sneeze and cough to clear its airways on its own unless emergency)
-I don't want the cord to be clamped and cut immediately (they wait at least a few minutes, but I will make my wishes clear for it to happen only after about 15 minutes)
-One does not get an enema/shaved - they really don't worry about those natural things happening
-I don't want to get the hormone injection to birth the placenta immediately, but want to wait until the delayed cord cutting is complete. (one of the few things I will have to have in my birth plan - they don't want a completely physiological 3rd stage since we are so far 'in the bush' here, in case of haemorrhageing (sp???)
-I don't want the baby to be washed on the first day or immediately after birth (which they don't do)
- I don't want the baby to be given formula or anything else without me agreeing to it. (they don't believe in supplementing and encouraged me to bring a syringe or two with expressed frozen colostrum along if I can, since I already have heaps....:blush:)

All in all, I am very happy and impressed. The room/s for recovery or hospital stay afterwards even have these nice reclining leather chairs for the partner to sleep in, a dvd player, tv etc. And also, if you are a first time mom, they prefer you to stay a bit longer to get more help with the breastfeeding and the milk's 'coming in'. Not that you HAVE to. But it does sound really good. They even showed us videos on breast crawling and infant-led attachment to the breast. Cool, hey. I don't have the funds to have the home/water birth that I wanted, and the nearest birthing centre is a 2 and a half hour drive away, so I was not impressed... But now, I am happy and relaxed about the whole thing. Their motto is 'TRUST YOUR BODY'.:winkwink:

Sorry for the long post, it is so useful to let one's thoughts go once in a while and to review things.

this is all available in the UK too!!!
the midwives have to follow your birth plan (unless it's a dire emergency) so you personal requests are granted
x

That's excellent:thumbup: Very much like the birth centre is that I'm going to again. I think it's how labour and birth should be treated as it is a natural process most of the time, so why does it have to be so medicalised and clinical?!

I hope you have an excellent time there :flower:

xx

Wow...That sounds awesome...The hospital I'm going to is about 100% anti-natural. It's a shame because I'm going to have to really fight to get what I want...I keep getting told things like, "Most babies NEED oxygen as SOON as they are born." and "Most cords are too short for the baby to be placed on your stomach and delay the cutting." BULL...UGH.

Wow...That sounds awesome...The hospital I'm going to is about 100% anti-natural. It's a shame because I'm going to have to really fight to get what I want...I keep getting told things like, "Most babies NEED oxygen as SOON as they are born." and "Most cords are too short for the baby to be placed on your stomach and delay the cutting." BULL...UGH.

Oh gosh Virginia that sounds horrible!! Make sure you tell them that your baby is not "most" baby's. It's YOURS! (Not to mention their facts are sooooo off)

Oh gosh Virginia that sounds horrible!! Make sure you tell them that your baby is not "most" baby's. It's YOURS! (Not to mention their facts are sooooo off)

I know it....I sooo want to have an "accidental" homebirth (since my friend said I can use her huge jacuzzi tub to labor in since the hospital doesn't allow water for pain management because they require the baby to be on constant fetal monitoring...GRRR)...but we live about 60 miles from the hospital so if something were to happen....ugh. I do plan on laboring at home (or rather, my friends home! LOL) for as long as possible before going to the hospital...I'm hoping that will help me avoid any unnecessary interventions. :dohh: But since this is my first, I've no idea how I'm going to *know* when we have to leave for the hospital (while leaving an hour to get there before the second stage...lol)

I know it....I sooo want to have an "accidental" homebirth (since my friend said I can use her huge jacuzzi tub to labor in since the hospital doesn't allow water for pain management because they require the baby to be on constant fetal monitoring...GRRR)...but we live about 60 miles from the hospital so if something were to happen....ugh. I do plan on laboring at home (or rather, my friends home! LOL) for as long as possible before going to the hospital...I'm hoping that will help me avoid any unnecessary interventions. :dohh: But since this is my first, I've no idea how I'm going to *know* when we have to leave for the hospital (while leaving an hour to get there before the second stage...lol)

whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa. My red flags are going up everywhere. Ok some questions:
*Why can't you just have a homebirth? Insurance reasons? I see you're in the US so I know things are completely different over there but I really want to help.
*Can you go to a different hospital?
*Have you told the hospital you don't want to be on constant monitoring? How did they react if so?
*Can you bring a birthing pool to their hospital?

I can't seem to find what your rights are. See in the UK we have this organization called AIMS and it really helped me know my rights so that I could question everything my midwife has told me. I'm really glad I've read loads of their stuff because now I'm confident when she says things like "If there are enough staff you can have a homebirth" Because my response is "I have a right to one, so you need to find the staff" Hospitals just assume you're going to take everything they say but you need to find your voice and stand up for what you want. What hospital is it that you're going to because I am serious in finding a solution for you!

whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa. My red flags are going up everywhere. Ok some questions:
*Why can't you just have a homebirth? Insurance reasons? I see you're in the US so I know things are completely different over there but I really want to help.
*Have you told the hospital you don't want to be on constant monitoring? How did they react if so?

I can't seem to find what your rights are. See in the UK we have this organization called AIMS and it really helped me know my rights so that I could question everything my midwife has told me. I'm really glad I've read loads of their stuff because now I'm confident when she says things like "If there are enough staff you can have a homebirth" Because my response is "I have a right to one, so you need to find the staff" Hospitals just assume you're going to take everything they say but you need to find your voice and stand up for what you want. What hospital is it that you're going to because I am serious in finding a solution for you!

I can't have a homebirth for 2 reasons. The nearest hospital is the one I'm going to, and it's 60 miles away from where I live (in the middle of winter when we tend to have ice storms), and I can't afford a midwife (and since I'm on low-income state insurance, it doesn't cover midwives). Even though I haven't been told I'm high risk or anything, I'd still be extremely nervous to attempt an unassisted homebirth so far away from a hospital (and so is DH).

I can't go to a different hospital because my OB is associated with THAT hospital, and it literally takes a couple months to get a "new patient" appointment with doctors around here to go to a different hospital (plus they are a little further away). If I go to a different hospital anyway, and just not have "my" doctor, I run the risk of medicaid denying paying for it because I guess once they get a practitioner, they want that person to be the one you see to the end.

I've expressed my concerns with some of the stuff they want to *make* me do, and my doctor said that I have the "right" to refuse anything, but that I'll definitely get resistance from all the staff. And again, I run into the problem of if I don't do it "their" way, I run the risk of medicaid not covering something. (Like they might cover constant fetal monitoring, but they might not cover occasional fetal monitoring like I'd prefer...) I don't see how they can "not allow" me to deny fetal monitoring and hop into the tub...what can they do? Kick me out? Lol. I will probably have to sign a bunch of "I will not sue you" waivers, which I don't mind....The main problem I see (and probably only reason they really can stop me) is each bathroom is an "adjoining" bathroom - meaning I share it with someone else in another room....

No, I can't bring my own birthing pool - I already asked. I can't even bring a birthing ball because if one is available, they will provide one. (so...what do I do if one *isn't* available I wonder?)

Anyways, they are a very small hospital, so that probably is part of why they are so restrictive...I'm just going to have to prepare myself and DH to stay firm and just deny anything we don't want - I'm normally a pretty easily persuaded person, but not when it comes to what's right for my baby.

Oh, and their website is: https://www.tcmh.org/index.php

Thanks!! :hugs:

this is all available in the UK too!!!
the midwives have to follow your birth plan (unless it's a dire emergency) so you personal requests are granted
x

If you're lucky.

I was bunged in a room with nothing but a crappy chair for hubby to sit on, nothing else was offered nothing else no food, no birth ball, no options discussed just left for hours to labour alone after transfer and then laid on my back on a drip.

ergh.

I can't have a homebirth for 2 reasons. The nearest hospital is the one I'm going to, and it's 60 miles away from where I live (in the middle of winter when we tend to have ice storms), and I can't afford a midwife (and since I'm on low-income state insurance, it doesn't cover midwives). Even though I haven't been told I'm high risk or anything, I'd still be extremely nervous to attempt an unassisted homebirth so far away from a hospital (and so is DH).

I can't go to a different hospital because my OB is associated with THAT hospital, and it literally takes a couple months to get a "new patient" appointment with doctors around here to go to a different hospital (plus they are a little further away). If I go to a different hospital anyway, and just not have "my" doctor, I run the risk of medicaid denying paying for it because I guess once they get a practitioner, they want that person to be the one you see to the end.

I've expressed my concerns with some of the stuff they want to *make* me do, and my doctor said that I have the "right" to refuse anything, but that I'll definitely get resistance from all the staff. And again, I run into the problem of if I don't do it "their" way, I run the risk of medicaid not covering something. (Like they might cover constant fetal monitoring, but they might not cover occasional fetal monitoring like I'd prefer...) I don't see how they can "not allow" me to deny fetal monitoring and hop into the tub...what can they do? Kick me out? Lol. I will probably have to sign a bunch of "I will not sue you" waivers, which I don't mind....The main problem I see (and probably only reason they really can stop me) is each bathroom is an "adjoining" bathroom - meaning I share it with someone else in another room....

No, I can't bring my own birthing pool - I already asked. I can't even bring a birthing ball because if one is available, they will provide one. (so...what do I do if one *isn't* available I wonder?)

Anyways, they are a very small hospital, so that probably is part of why they are so restrictive...I'm just going to have to prepare myself and DH to stay firm and just deny anything we don't want - I'm normally a pretty easily persuaded person, but not when it comes to what's right for my baby.

Oh, and their website is: https://www.tcmh.org/index.php

Thanks!! :hugs:

Ahhhh the joys of medicaid. I would be on that right now if I wasn't in the UK. (Originally from Ohio myself) So I feel your nervousness on not wanting to screw with that at all. I like that your doctor did tell you that you have the right though. That's a really good sign. I know you mentioned being afraid that medicaid would cover say constant fetal monitoring but not partial but when I looked it up it said this
"Pregnant women are covered for all care related to the pregnancy, delivery and any complications that may occur during pregnancy and up to 60 days postpartum."
That means partial or constant. As for a tub there are a few OB's that have told the nurses/midwives that if a woman will not get out of the tub pull the plug. Remember though if they do anything like this they will be revoking thier code of and will get in big trouble so DO NOT let them threaten you with that!
Hospitals just get me so riled up when they don't just let women get on with it. But I think so long as you're totally confident and in control they'll listen to you. It's woman like you, who want to do well by their baby, that will start to change their mindsets. So stay strong! :hugs:

The TRUTH about insurance (including medicaid) your labor and delivery is billed as a single charge (not itemized).....the only time Medicaid will not pay the bill is if you go AMA from the hospital....even then they still usually pay the bill. You have the right to refuse constant monitoring.....if they push the issue and insist you have it....it falls under assualt and battery! I don't suggest going in with a 5 page birth plan....these always seem to end up in csections...never fails. Try to go in with an open mind but also stand firm and those things that you absolutely refuse. Pick your battles. Good luck!

Do you have a good friend or family member that will support you and DH during your labor? Having a doula would be a great help but money issues may prevent that from being an option so having another support person on board to be an advocate for you would be great. That way you and your DH can focus on the task at hand and not get your adrenaline pumping. I'm so sorry you feel like you are in for a battle. The US is so behind in birthing, it's shameful. Our (US) medical society thinks the US is so advanced and superior when statistics show such a different picture.

Do you have a good friend or family member that will support you and DH during your labor? Having a doula would be a great help but money issues may prevent that from being an option so having another support person on board to be an advocate for you would be great. That way you and your DH can focus on the task at hand and not get your adrenaline pumping. I'm so sorry you feel like you are in for a battle. The US is so behind in birthing, it's shameful. Our (US) medical society thinks the US is so advanced and superior when statistics show such a different picture.

We can't afford a doula...but I'm respectfully going to tell my doctor that I'd like her to be as hands-off as possible in the birth. I want her to "observe" it, but be there to intervene if there is an emergency....I'm not allowing negativity in the room either...I had to tell my mom today she won't be allowed in the room while I'm birthing if she's not going to support me. (She thinks it's ridiculous that I'm going to birth "naturally" and she thinks I should "just do everything the doctors tell me"....) *Sigh*

I'm snooping around on here because I want a natural birth so I was looking around. I have to say I'm horrified by what you've said! Medicade will be thrilled to not have to pay for full fetal monitoring and also it sounds like they are just trying to scare you. I have never heard of a hospital doing full fetal monitoring, are you talking about internal because I'd be telling them they can go shove it where the sun doesn't shine! That increases the risk for infection!
I would tell them how it is and I would bring my own birthing ball stating you don't want to share germs with someone else (hey, you can never been too safe) or I'd go to farther away to a different hospital...You might sign waviers, but if they end up putting your child in danger because they refused to listen to you, then you have the right to sue them. I would make a birth plan and make everyone sign it because that's legal documentation, but I'm kinda hard up over it.
I wish I could send my OBGYN to you because she's amazing and she would make you be able to have the birth you want!

I'm snooping around on here because I want a natural birth so I was looking around. I have to say I'm horrified by what you've said! Medicade will be thrilled to not have to pay for full fetal monitoring and also it sounds like they are just trying to scare you. I have never heard of a hospital doing full fetal monitoring, are you talking about internal because I'd be telling them they can go shove it where the sun doesn't shine! That increases the risk for infection!
I would tell them how it is and I would bring my own birthing ball stating you don't want to share germs with someone else (hey, you can never been too safe) or I'd go to farther away to a different hospital...You might sign waviers, but if they end up putting your child in danger because they refused to listen to you, then you have the right to sue them. I would make a birth plan and make everyone sign it because that's legal documentation, but I'm kinda hard up over it.
I wish I could send my OBGYN to you because she's amazing and she would make you be able to have the birth you want!

The continuous monitoring isn't internal - its external around my belly - I definitely plan on telling them that it's MY birthing and I want it done MY way. My OB said there is a nurse who works at the hospital who is a "retired" midwife - so if I get assigned her, then it'll make things a lot easier on me. I'm even going to put into my birth plan that I'd prefer nurses who enjoy natural births. Thanks!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->