Sooooo scared

jojosmami

Mommy to 3!
Reaction score
Hi ladies. Well, I was hoping I didn't have to ever post in this forum but here I am. I'm 26 wks right now and this is my 3rd pregnancy. Short back ground on me is my 1st 2 kids were premies. My son wasn't to early, he was born @ 36 wks due to preeclampsia and the baby wasn't growing and he was in the NICU for only week. My daughter was born at 34 wks due to my water breaking. She was born with pneumonia because my water had been leaking for awhile and I just thought it was watery discharge and she was in the NICU for 3 wks. With both kids my mucus plug fell out around 18wks and I started having contractions around 20 wks. When I got pregnant with this baby I decided to start the HP17 progesterone shots to try to avoid going thru all that. Everything had seemed to be going well since I passed right over the 18wk and 20 wk mark with no issues. But at 24+6 wks I started having that watery discharge again and went straight to the hospital. They checked the fluid with the test strip and it came out positive for amniotic fluid. They saw lots of mucus with blood so the checked that under a slide and said they didn't see any amniotic sack membranes but my mucus plug is starting to come out again. :nope: They did a scan and said the baby looks good and healthy and was already 2.2 lbs. They gave me the steroid shots to open up his lungs in case and sent me home hoping with some rest the mucus plug will regenerate a bit. They told me if it doesn't they are going to put me into the hospital until either full term or they have to deliver the baby. I am soooooo scared this baby is gonna be born to early. I am a stay at home mom and babysit other kids so its not like I can just take leave @ a job. Who is gonna care for my kids if I go into the hospital for another 3 months? Today I'm having some cramps and more "watery discharge" I want to go to the hospital and check it out but am so scared.No one I know understands the fear I have. Its so hard emotionally to go thru having a premie. The back and forth to the hospital, the stress everytime you walk into the NICU, praying they don't have a new tube or the Dr being there giving you another set back, the feeling of complete failure as a women because I just can't keep a baby inside me. :cry::cry: I'm so scared that if my baby is born now he won't make it. I'm only 26 wks. Its so early. I've been looking around the forum and see a couple of you have had a baby this early and they look beautiful. If my baby is born this early, can he really survive? If you've had a baby this early how much did they weigh? What can I expect?Thanks for listening ladies.

:hugs: and massive ones too.
loads of us here have preemies under 30 weeks, from as early as 23 weekers.

.Although i cant really advise a lot, i can only reflect my own experience. Alex was 27+4. we only had one shot of steroids hours before she was born. it wasnt due to pre E either, but she came out a good weight at 2lb 14oz and did great. she did have a long stay (i think approx a week before due date) .

i think your babys weight is a great start, and you've had steroids in advance. all this care can only be beneficial to you and baby. yes it is early, but the odds for 26 weekers are great. are you still having the shots? i have been using the pessaries this pregnancy and i do credit them, even to i have no proof they helped me get this far.

do you have any family or friends who could help with the children?

Thanks for your response. I don't have anyone to take the kids. And yes, I am still getting the shots. I'm going to call the Dr later to go get checked out. If you don;t mind me asking why was your baby born so early?

absolutely no idea hun :shrug: i wish we knew. it literally just was out the blue one night, like my body had just said "its time". i thought perhaps this pregnancy wouldnt go to term but we'd find out why it happened, but ive got to 40 weeks nearly so i guess i'll never know :dohh: Shes happy and healthy, we've never had any major major probs, and shes 21 mnths now. (if you click on my first ticker, it takes you to her blog - her first pics in neonatal are the very first posts in June, at the bottom of the screen)

i wish i knew what to suggest with child care, i really hope baby stays put and you can stay with the kids at home. :hugs:

Thanks so much and I was just looking at her blog! She is so beautiful and what a little fighter! God bless you and your family! ANd congrats on your new baby!

Hi. I had my 4th baby at 23weeks and 6days. My waters broke at 23weeks and 3 days, and I managed to get both steroid jags before she arrived. She weighed 655g (1lb 7oz), was on a ventilator for 5.5 weeks, but we finally brought her home after almost 20weeks in the neonatal unit. Your baby is a good weight, which means his lungs will be bigger. Survival rates from 26 weeks are really good. You'll be amazed at family and friends gathering round to help you out with your other kids. xx

Thank you so much Em! I'm so freaking out right now. All of my family lives extremely far away. I know my OH is gonna be really upset this is happening. He really didn't want to have another baby because of my history but I explained with the shots It would reduce the risk but I think in his mind he thought it would eliminate the risk. I'm dreading telling him I want to go to the hospital. I have no family around, and I know my OH loves me and the kids and only wants the best for us but he he isn't the most emotionally sensitive person in the world.

go to hospital hun and get checked out again. try not to be scared, far better to go and if he has to be delivered then there's no option but to hope for the best. I had to go when my waters started leaking at 28 + 6. I feared the worst and they ended up doing an emergency c section as I had a placental abruption soon after. your baby has a great chance - in neo natal they have several babies at 26 weeks doing fine.

good luck lots of :hugs:

Thanks mummy. I am trying to arrange how to get there now. I'll update as soon as I can.

call an ambulance if need be. Your waters leaking is def not something you should leave esp with your history. I'm so glad I was in hospital when my placenta came away (not saying that will happen to you) but you are far safer in hospital where they can help than worrying at home :hugs: good luck hun and keep us posted xx

Hey,

I just wanted to say im sorry that you are going this, my little pickle was born at 24 weeks and 2 days, weighing 1pound 7oz, i was induced with him due to my health declining following on from his twin brothers birth at 21 weeks.

I had both lots of steriods and i feel they are the reason harry did as well as he did. He was vented for the first 6 hours then put on to vapatherm, he spent 102 days in hospital and came home 8 days before their due date. He came home on oxygen but is now off that and in just over 2 weeks, he will be celebrating his first birthday.
I wish i could give you some advice regarding childcare but the boys were my first. I know a friend of mine had her little one at 26 weeks and she already has a 4 year old and he spend every day in SCBU with her and is looked after by the nursery nurses.

I hope baby stays in for a while longer but there is hope xxx

Thank you so much bob for your kind words. I'm really praying hard that my little man stays put! I would love to know what its like having a full term baby. But, seeing all you strong ladies with your little miracle babies does give me hope that its possible for him to be ok if the worst happens. I have gotten the steroids and they say that babies that are born preterm to mothers that were receiving the progesterone come out a bit stronger and lungs more developed then babies who are born to moms who didn't get it. I guess its really not up to me. I go to the dr in about 1 1/2 so I will update you ladies. Hopefully it will just be a false alarm.

Hi

I had twin girls at 25+2. sadly one of mine didnt survive but the other is now nearly 15 months and doing well. She weighed 1lb 7oz and was in hospital for 100 days. I was given steroids at 23 weeks and Holly was ventilated for 4 days then on to cpap. She came home fully breastfed and oxygen free. The consultants had been hoping to get me to 26 weeks because the survival rates and long term outcomes increase significantly.

I hope your lo stays put for many more weeks.

Take care xx

2.2 lbs at 26 weeks is a good weight! i had samantha at 26 weeks 4 days after my water broke at 25+5 via csection. She weighed 1lbs. 10oz. she is now a 4lbs 10 oz chubby bunny and is doing fab in the nicu. she was on a ventilator for quite some time even though i had the steroid shots because her lungs were just underdeveloped to breath on her own. When had my last ultrasound 2 days before i went into labor she was measuring 24 +5 so they thought i had my dates screwed up but I didn't i know for a fact the day i got my period as my bestfriend had gotten out of the hospital the same day.
Samantha has been kicking ass and takin names.
If you are leaking again you need to go the hospital. if you waters are going you can go into a risk of an infection hun.

Thank you ladies for all your support and kind words. Went to the Dr and they said that my mucus plug has dissolved more ( that's why I saw some blood) but my bag of water is still intact! So thankful! He said the babies HB is good, he wants me to have another scan on the 13th to check his fluid again, and check on him. They also gave me my progesterone shot at that visit ( a couple days early) just in case. SO, for now he is staying put! I have a horrible headache from crying so much yesterday. I feel relieved but still so nervous. Thank you again for all your support and god bless you and all of your little miracles!

so happy to hear you and baby are well. xxx rest a lot ok?! Kepp that little munchkin tucked away for awhile longer xxx

That's great news, hope LO stays put a while longer.

I had Sophie at 27 weeks exactly, weighing 1lb 13oz. She had to spend 12 weeks in neonatal but doesn't seem to have been affected at all by her prematurity. She's now just over a year old and doing really well.

I'm sure your family and friends will do all they can to help and support you, should you need help with childcare. We really found out who our friends were when we had Sophie (after the initial flurry of visitors to see the teeny baby was over!) xxxx

Hey, i hope you made it to the hosp and all is well. I know how you must be feeling, my waters broke at 23 + 4 weeks and i managed to hold on to him for 4weeks, during those 4weeks i was in and out of hosp, everytime i was too scared to call them, too scared to go in incase they said they had to deliver! Like you i have another child (altho tht pregnancy was fine) it is amazing all the ppl tht rally round in your time of need, ppl you c in a blue moon offering help! Take all the help you can get! Although the survial rates are good, the time in itu is a emotional rollercoaster but these lil preemies are fighters and much stronger than we give them credit for! If u need to talk im arnd
*hugs and wishes*

I just want to say thank you all for your support! Its so nice to hear from woman who have actually been thru it. People say to me " Aww don't worry everything will be fine" and I know they are trying to help but they don't really get it. Its amazing how all these little tiny babies are so strong and can be born so early and are so healthy now. With my DD because she was born so sick, I thought she was going to be such a sick, fragile little kid. BUt she is healthier and way feistier than my DS. Its such a scary feeling seeing your new baby hooked up to all those machines! But, with this baby, so far so good! I'm feeling a bit better now if he has to be born because of all the you ladies! Thank you all again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->