Sorry I must be a stone age parent!

I'm with you on this Cat. So you're not alone!

I'm pretty old fashioned and don't believe in TVs in kids bedrooms or anything like that. I wouldn't buy a Wii for a little one, but then I'd resist OH getting one too! He has something (an Xbox maybe?) but I just can't see the point of them and hate that glazed over look he gets when he plays on it. Don't get me started on the mess all the blummin cables make!! :roll:

I was brought up quite strictly in relation to TV watching we were only allowed to watch certain amounts, never had TVs in our rooms (but then I'm older and no-one I knew had their own telly) and certain programmes were banned (Eastenders and Fame - because they were crap I think!). Actually that approach has shaped my view towards TV and video games. I wouldn't dream of eating a meal in front of the TV for instance. 9 times out of 10 we sit at the table to eat.

chloe and callum have a winnie the pooh dvd player and tv in their room, its nvr been on lo, they watch tv with me in the living room, i have 2 admit if im in cbeebies is on most of the day mainly as background noise, my little brother had a console at 5(a ps1 i think) and as long as teh child isnt playing it constantly thn id have no problem with it :D

i have just posted this in the kids section too but wanted to post it in here so it gets seen,

My nan (i was rasied by her) lived in the stone age and never let me do anything or go anywhere so i rebeled alot so i could feel normal and do what all my mates were doing at my age, i moved out when i was 16 coz i just had enough of living under her strict and old fashioned rules. thats why im laid back with mine i think, we were never close coz of it and are still not now, i find it incredible hard to talk to her about things and hardly keep in contact if im honest. so i dont want to lose them the way my nan lost me.

Sometimes i do question my parenting skills from listeing to what others on here do/say/think, and sometimes i feel shit or a bad mother from it, but then i know im way to over sensitive and do take things to much to heart (trying to work on this! :)) but, going from my childhood and the way i was treated, makes me realise that i do think im doing the best for my kids, i want them to have the freedom they need to grow and express themselfs as indivduals (sp?), but of course at the same time, keeping them safe. and reading this post back through im wondering whether its coming across shitty or not? i promise its not lol, im nice really lol i just have trouble expressing myself right.

xx

Hey no dont worry hun I think most of us are influenced by the way we were broght up our selves. Thats prob why I dont want my kids having Tvs and computer games and stuff cause I didnt till I was in my teens and I loved my childhood. In the same way that the one thing Ifeel Iwas let down on was the lack of encouragement I got from my parents, when I wanted to persue out of school activities, because I tried somethings and didnt get on with them they never bothered to let me try other things, or encourage me creativly, so that is something I will always try to do with my kids. Like the way you and Jase do evening classes and you have your kids do lots of out of school activities like martial arts and stuff I think is great! So dont feel bad, you certainyl give your kids a lot more oportunities and encourage them a lot more than some people do.

Oh I have been thinking about my recent threads and how I must be coming across to some people. I dont mean for these threads or comments to be critisizing of other peoples parenting, its just when I hear things like kids creating websites on other kids, and games consoles for 5 year olds and ear piercing babies, they just surprise me as they are things that I had never even contemplated

i have noticed recently the way you have been coming accros.

you said piercing babies ears was barbaric
child with a game console you found sad
kids having website disturbing.

i think slome times you go a bit far. i no it a public forum and all have differen t opinions which is what makes this place the way it is but solme times i think you can be a bit rude about it.

there have been things you have said before that you do as a mother that i was dicusted by but i would have never gone so far to say something like that but i dont think you care about what you say or how it comes across just been getting to me recently, or maybe i am being sensitive?

Dionne i think thats a bit OTT tbh hun ...

Everyone has an opinion and has a way of expressing themselves.

To say that was going a bit far.

i think i have been pretty laid back i think i have been very fair.

i have never been "discuted" "disturbed" thoguht of things as "barbaric"
because that would be going to far

So Someone has decided to used different choices of words to what you would use! I noticed you have just been "discusted" with something cat has done that you don't agree with, Still no need for that attack....

Pot and kettle spring to mind.

So in other words because I choose not to raise my kids the way you do I shouldnt say otherwise?

I have never told other people that they way they raise this kids is wrong, just that its something that I wouldnt do personaly and its always been on threads where people have been asking for other peoples views and opionions,so funny enough I have given mine.

As for you never saying that you were discusted with the way I bring up my son well erm you just have! At the end of the day Im happy with the way I parent and I have no doubts in my mind about how I raise them and I feel that Im doing everything possible to give them a happy and healthy childhood, regardless of what other people may think, Im not so insecure that someone elses views rude if they choose to do something differnt from myself.

but like i said i would never ever say some thing as nasty as "discusted" but seems these terms are getting used. and its not a problem then why not?

Sorry in future I will say that I find these things cute and fun, even if I dont feel that way. You know Im sure that debates (which is what I thought these threads were) wer ment to be about differing opionions.

I dont tone down the way I feel aboout things, and as I have pointed out MANY TIMES none of my comments are directed at anyone in particular its just that I was interested in what other peoples views were!

i dont think every one should bring their kids up one way but i do think that the way you go on some times you look down your nose.
it just seems to be like it thread after thread thats why i bit back in the end!

I only respond with how I feel, and TBH on each of the afore mentioned topics I have been generally shocked by these things, and amazed, hence me saying with the very title of this thread that I must be some stone age mum cause these things are unimaginable to me. Its not looking down my nose, its just genuine surprise and shock!

fine, but still i think, your words go a bit ott.

maybe its just the way you are? but when its a public forum i think there can be better way of wording things then the way you do!

It can be sooooo hard to put feeling & emotion into words that can only be seen not heard & it can be sooooo easy to see fault in something that is meant to be anything but nasty, judging or even rude.

Some people can just appear to be blunter than others it doesn’t mean it’s personal or anyone is looked down on. It generally just means its words on a screen which is hard to put into its real meaning sometimes. 99% of the time offence is not wanted to be caused & many often say so.

Now come on girls do I have to put you in the naughty room?

Dionne the same could be said for you ... you have gone a bit to far yourself!

So lets drop it please, everyone is entitled to there own opinion and sometimes words can be read wrong ... you can't exactly express yourself clearly in words or put feelings into perspective on the net.

So ... lets all have huggles before i have to get the guns out!!! :hugs:

Well I have tried to state on numerous occasions on this thread that I dont mean to appear condisending or critical of other people parenting styles, it was only ment to be a discusion on what people views were on the topic, not for people to get defensive about their choices.

But I will shut my gob in future!

"But I will shut my gob in future!"

Oh girls please don't make this an ending feeling like this ....

im just the type of person that lets things bother me then i just let it build up and get pissed of, always been my bad point!

I'm terrible - often type first & think later :blush:

& forget I own here lol :blush:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"