Sounding like a broken record, but seriously, why?

JaneSharon86

Reaction score
With the risk of sounding like a really annoying broken record...

I'd really like someone to tell me why I haven't been able to exclusively breastfeed.

My LO's weight gain was poor, and we went through nipple shields, mastitis, latch issues and clicking to get to where we are now. My LO loves the boob and is fab at breastfeeding now. She can have both drained within 15 minutes.

But there's simply not enough milk and we have to give top ups of formula or her weight stays the same.

Anyone know what causes a woman to physically not make enough milk for her baby?

I don't know the answer. But just remember any breast milk is better than no breast milk, and well done for overcoming all those trials to bf at all.

I'm always questioning my supply. When my LO seemed to hit a plateau on weight gain, my ped said to not worry about numbers, worry about the output instead. Some babies are just petite. As long as they're happy and hitting milestones, etc.

As long as baby is getting what she needs, that's all that matters! And good for you for persevering with this-- a lot of people would have given up already.

I don't know the answer to your question, but you should be proud of yourself for persevering when others would have given up. youve done a wonderful thing for your LO and the benefits will stay with her for the rest of her life.

insufficient glandular tissue is one reason....

my grandma never produced one drop of milk with my dad or my uncle. her OB and pediatrician could never figure it out.

you're doing a great job, who cares if it's not "exclusive"

don't be too hard on yourself

I'm no longer BF but I asked this question many times myself. Insufficient glandular tissue is one reason, usually characterized by tubular shaped breasts that can be widely spaced apart. The lactation doctor who I saw (an expert on insufficent glandular tissue) couldn't give me an answer as to why I didn't reach a full supply other than we didn't have a good start. She even thought we would be EBF after being on domperidone for a longer period of time.

Another LC explained to me that the first few weeks are crucial for laying the foundation for future milk making. For me at least, not getting the proper stimulation early on and not working on my supply until 6-7 weeks (past the ideal time frame) is likely why I didn't reach a full supply. Could it be the same for you? Or did you have a full supply at one point? Have you tried domperidone?

My supply failed me at 6 months the second time as I stopped eating due to stress, when I fed my first for 12 months. It's different for every baby and every woman, even if you have successfully BF before, as I did. Don't be so hard on yourself babe :hugs:

Have you tried boosting supply with fenugreek or, if you'd like, domperidone from the doctor?

Oh, and do you get enough calories and water during the day? If I don't eat enough (no joke) chocolate, lollies and other calories, I don't produce as much milk!

I'm no longer BF but I asked this question many times myself. Insufficient glandular tissue is one reason, usually characterized by tubular shaped breasts that can be widely spaced apart. The lactation doctor who I saw (an expert on insufficent glandular tissue) couldn't give me an answer as to why I didn't reach a full supply other than we didn't have a good start. She even thought we would be EBF after being on domperidone for a longer period of time.

Another LC explained to me that the first few weeks are crucial for laying the foundation for future milk making. For me at least, not getting the proper stimulation early on and not working on my supply until 6-7 weeks (past the ideal time frame) is likely why I didn't reach a full supply. Could it be the same for you? Or did you have a full supply at one point? Have you tried domperidone?

Thanks for this info. I don't have tubular breasts from what I see but they are widely spaced apart ?

I'm thinking our bad start maybe a contributing factor. I knew nothing about breastfeeding when I started and made so many mistakes in those early weeks. Since then though I really have tried everything to boost my supply - 6 hourly cluster feeding, more frequent feedings, fenugreek, pumping after every feed, excessive water drinking, intake of calories- you name it I've tried it! Except domperione as I'm not sure GPs here even prescribe that for low supply?

It just baffles me as to why if BF is a supply and demand thing, why all of the above haven't been enough to increase supply? I have plateaued and its not enough for my LO. I know I should get over it but its hard without knowing for sure why it hasn't worked. Almost as annoying as my 'failure to progress - c section' after 41 hours of labour - why?!! Gah!! Lol

LO only lost weight once but her weight gain was so poor that after a few weeks she had dropped below the 0.4th percentile from the 50th which is the point we decided enough was enough and started top ups.

Thanks for all the replies x

It's definitely worth speaking to your GP. Yes, they prescribe meds for low supply in the UK. If your GP is reluctant to help, see another GP!

Thanks for this info. I don't have tubular breasts from what I see but they are widely spaced apart ?

I'm thinking our bad start maybe a contributing factor. I knew nothing about breastfeeding when I started and made so many mistakes in those early weeks. Since then though I really have tried everything to boost my supply - 6 hourly cluster feeding, more frequent feedings, fenugreek, pumping after every feed, excessive water drinking, intake of calories- you name it I've tried it! Except domperione as I'm not sure GPs here even prescribe that for low supply?

It just baffles me as to why if BF is a supply and demand thing, why all of the above haven't been enough to increase supply? I have plateaued and its not enough for my LO. I know I should get over it but its hard without knowing for sure why it hasn't worked. Almost as annoying as my 'failure to progress - c section' after 41 hours of labour - why?!! Gah!! Lol

LO only lost weight once but her weight gain was so poor that after a few weeks she had dropped below the 0.4th percentile from the 50th which is the point we decided enough was enough and started top ups.

Thanks for all the replies x

Trust me....I understand exactly how you feel! At one point I was taking over 30 pills a day, pumping after every feed, drinking oat water, eating oatmeal etc. My supply did increase some but it was never enough to meet her needs. My LO never lost weight (and she's still a slow gainer) because we started supplementing with small amounts at 5-6 weeks once I was evaluated by a LC.

After seeing two different LC's I met with the lactation doctor to find out if there was a physical reason on my end. She said my breasts were slightly spaced apart but not so much that they can't make milk. Although I won't be one of those women who make 70 ounces a day either. From what I've read hypoplastic breasts are usually spaced 1.5 inches or more apart. Did you experience breast changes during pregnancy? Feel your milk come in? Those were some questions she asked me. Just curious - when did you start working on your supply?

I know it's hard to accept especially not knowing why, but as one LC reminded me it doesn't have to be all or nothing and you are breast feeding! :hugs:

I didn't experience any breast changes during pregnancy. I wore the same bras throughout. Once LO arrived they did increase in size; but I never felt huge or engorged. When I had mastitis, I stopped feeding off the one size for a couple of days because of the pain and didn't feel the need to express etc - though I did because I was trying to get milk out for LO. This was obviously before I knew about breastfeeding, like how important it is not to skip feeds etc.

I started working on my supply around week 8-9 week when it started to become apparent that LO wasn't gaining much a week. About 1-3 ounces, which eventually dropped to 0 ounces as she got older. We kept up with the EBF until the week her 0 weight gain meant she dropped below the 0.4th percentile when we started supplementing. I know from expressing that I make between 20-25 ounces per day, and LO can take all of this, and still down up to 20 ounces of formula too.

Thanks for sharing your experience with me :flower:

It sounds like you have a very hungry baby too.

A few people have said this to me and given me advice like put a risk in the bottle :dohh:

I wasn't sure whether this was one of those myths? I know there's hungry baby milk, but in my experience a lot of people seem to put their babies onto this. Is there a physical reason? Like high metabolism?

A few people have said this to me and given me advice like put a risk in the bottle :dohh:

I wasn't sure whether this was one of those myths? I know there's hungry baby milk, but in my experience a lot of people seem to put their babies onto this. Is there a physical reason? Like high metabolism?

Have you discussed it with your dr? Your LO might be ready to go onto solids ( maybe not rusks though!) but if I was you I'd want their opinion in case there was a metabolic reason.

Hi there, I followed your other thread pretty closely and one of the things that struck me most was your determination. 99% of women would have quit, but you didn't, and well that meant something to me (at the risk of sounding incredibly corny).

I tend to agree with your assessment that your circumstances early on caused low supply. On the bright side, if you have another, you'll know exactly what to do and you'll have milk jugs!! :)

Hi there, I followed your other thread pretty closely and one of the things that struck me most was your determination. 99% of women would have quit, but you didn't, and well that meant something to me (at the risk of sounding incredibly corny).

I tend to agree with your assessment that your circumstances early on caused low supply. On the bright side, if you have another, you'll know exactly what to do and you'll have milk jugs!! :)

Hi Susannah

I hope you're right, I really want it to work with the next bubs.

Thank you so much for your on going support :flower::flower:

Have you discussed it with your dr? Your LO might be ready to go onto solids ( maybe not rusks though!) but if I was you I'd want their opinion in case there was a metabolic reason.

My doctor is pretty useless tbh (he told my OH to take up drinking the other week!).

We have started BLW a little early seen as LO isn't 6 month yet. Yesterday I gave her a banana to hold and see what she would do. She had a good suck on it, and towards the end (before she got bored with it), she was biting little bits off. She also has little tastes of everything I'm eating. So far she's tried cherry tomatoes, parsnip soup, cucumber.

Guess we'll carry on monitoring her weight closely to make sure she's doing ok once she's on solids too.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->