South Australia.... Emigrating?

Amanda

Mum of 3
Reaction score
This is not a definite, but we are seriously considering moving from the UK to South Australia (Adelaide area).

Getting pig sick of being shit on from a great height by the UK government, the crappy UK weather, quality of life - we survive, not live, etc.

Stu's a qualified First Assistant Greenkeeper and is also studying to be a Head Greenkeeper. Once he qualifies, he'll have to move golf courses anyway to be a Head Greenkeeper, and we're seriously looking at Adelaide. He has a friend there who moved 2 years ago and hasn't looked back since, and he keeps telling Stu of jobs that are going.

Can anyone give me any pointers? Any local websites (jobs, property, tourist info) that you know about? Even just telling me what it's like there - ie price of a pint of milk, litre of petrol, average house prices, that sort of thing.

If you don't want another Pom moving to your beautiful country, tell me to p*** off!!!!:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Ok firstly this is MY state so piss off!!! :rofl: If you move to Adelaide you have me to help you to adjust. Add me to msn/yahoo it's on my profile :hugs:

LOL J/K!!! :hugs:

for jobs; Seek Careerone

For housing; Realestate

Just under 2 pints of milk (1litre) $1.50 - 2.00 depending on brand.

Bread: $2+ Again depends on type.

Petrol: $1.40 p/l.

House prices; for rental, or buying? It depends on the area.

Adelaide right now is on a heat wave. Our average summer is 35C+ & Winter, 7C+

We are on water restrictions.

Photos of Adelaide:

https://www.glenelgsr7.sa.edu.au/images/photomaps/adelaide%20city%20skyline.jpg

https://www.mariesworldtour.com/entries/02_Feb/adelaide.jpg

https://www.trison.com.au/images/adelaide10.jpg

https://www.lisa-sprachreisen.de/sprachreisen/bilder/sprachen2005/adelaide02.jpg

Hmmm looks good to me my gosh
We pay $3.50 2Litre milk
$3+ milk
To rent a small 2 bedroom unit with one car space we are paying $170
Maybe we should move out of qld and move down there.
Good luck on making your decission on moving i must say that no matter where you move in australia there is always lots of work especially for people with qualifications

Thanks Carley - that's loads of info!:hugs: I got your email too, just not had a chance to email you back yet, but I will.:hugs:

Worried_mum - I'm presuming that it's $170 a week for the rent? We currently pay £85 a week for a 3 bed house, which seems about the same, although it is Housing Association (local authority type thing), so it is cheaper than normal. Round here a 3 bed house would be about £600 a month to rent, or about £180,000 to buy.

In the cheaper areas for a 3/4 bedroom here is anywhere from £60 a week but we pay £68 we have a 3 bedroom huge back yard. For closer to town (we are about 40 minutes from town by train) the average is £80 - £100 per a week. For the really posh areas on the beach it is £150+ apartment's etc.

over 12 weeks:

Rent: £816
Gas (If your house has gas, we do): £60 - £80
Electricity: Not in summer: £60 - £80; summer; £125 + Depending on use.

omg!!

thats amazing can i come too.... i know ill never do it but i have always wanted to go to australia!!

good luck1
h x

ME!!!

look up birmingham uk.....ill be there next thursday about 2 is tht ok lol?!?!?

h xx

Bloody hell, that is sooo cheap! I can't believe your gas and electric!!! We pay £110 a month for both, and that's 12 months a year. We've recently switched suppliers and got a bill from the old electric supplier for 3 weeks - £112.75! I know it's the winter, but that's still rediculous.

You've really helped me decide Carly... we're definitely going to look into it properly.:hugs:

If I can help you in any way please let me know. https://www.babyandbump.com/images/smilies/hugs.gif And if you move here; hubby and I are here to help you both. That way you won't feel alone. :)

Thank you :D You have my msn if you need anything :hugs:

Move to queensland..its nice here but petrol is nearly 1.50/L lol

No I say move to Adelaide!!!!!!!!

I moved from the UK to australia about 5 years ago and have never had a single regret. Best thing I ever did! The lifestyle, weather, cost of living, everything is great. I am in Tasmania, which is not as hot and tropical as other parts of the country but suits me just fine as we get a bit of a respite from the heat when winter comes and Spring and Autumn are just perfect.

The hardest thing is leaving your family, but mine love to come here on holidays and have managed it once every two years so far. Also, I get along so much better with my mother these days, we have a great phone call once a week and really enjoy it when we see each other. I still feel like it was the best choice for me and my kids future, they will have a great life here when they come along (first one in the oven now, will be ready in January, YAY!).

Good luck with your decision.

I'd love to live in Tasmania to escape the weather!!! It looks so beautiful.

You know NSW has it's perks too!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->