Soy isoflavones...

happycupcake

‘Mrs Hudson took my skull.’
Reaction score
I recently got my cycles back (baby is 7 months old) but my anxiety has shot through the roof. It's just like it was before so I'm certain it's hormonal. I remember when I took soy isoflavones before I felt better, but can I take them just at the start of my cycles safely when breastfeeding?

Hey cupcake
I wont suggest taking soy while you are breastfeeding. Especially if your little one is a girl. Its said that soy girl often develop reproductive issues later.. even sometimes with soy formula.
Thats my two cents. Better safe than sorry. If you are willin to introduce baby to formula an ween him or her off the breast. You can take the soy iso after and work on your mood.
All the best

Yes you can take them at the start of your cycles while breastfeeding. It's safe. Hope you feel better. :hugs:

Thanks both for your replies :)

Taylor I read something along those lines but I don’t think there’s enough information, because it wouldn’t be ethical to study it officially like that. But from those whose diets are high in soy (women in Japan, for instance) and those who use it anyway and breastfeed, there isn’t enough evidence to suggest it’s unsafe, from what I can glean.
I mean, soy works by tricking our body into thinking it isn’t making enough oestrogen, so we then make even more, but since we have oestrogen anyway it doesn’t really make sense that it would be harmful. After a lot of reading about it since posting above, I kind of drew to the conclusion it’s likely safe given we don’t warn breastfeeding women to stop eating soy. I think its more one of those things where we cant purposely go out and study it so to play it safe we label it something to avoid.
Of course, if i found evidence suggesting otherwise i would avoid it.

Blessedmomma thank you. I didn’t feel quite as anxious. It didn’t completely rid me of my anxiety but I did find it helpful

I've used it for 5 days to jumpstart my cycles and also used it at the beginning of my cycles while brestfeeding. I did that because I tend to get post partum depression the longer I breastfeed without cycles. Funny if I dont breastfeed I dont get it at all, so it was quite a surprise the first time I dealt with it after reading brestfeeding is supposed to be protective against it. I totally understand the anxiety stuff. It does help me. You're only using it a short time at that amount. And honestly soy is in tons of food in small amounts. I had several babies allergic to milk so of course had to read labels to avoid it while brestfeeding and soy is one that's everywhere.

Hope you feel better soon!

Yeah perhaps for some breastfeeding protects against PPD but it hasn't stopped me from it, although I would say on the milder side of it. It’s definitely more the anxiety for me, of that’s the part I find much harder to cope with.
I do think breastfeeding has more than likely helped, but definitely not completely avoid

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->