• Welcome back! The Xenforo Cloud migration is now complete. Thank you for your patience! NOTE: please make sure to report any issues to our Technical Support forum and we'll review ASAP.

Spacing Pregnancies too Close?

icegurl470

Reaction score
Hello. I just had my beautiful baby girl in February. The pregnancy was as smooth as can be. I went into labor naturally 5 days past my due date and had a totally textbook un-medicated birth. She's the most amazing baby in the world. Honestly, the whole experience was so much greater than I ever could have imagined. We're already thinking about doing it again! I want her to have a sibling close in age. My doctor is totally on board. I was going to continue breastfeeding for up to a year (if all goes as planned) and start trying the end of this year beginning of next year. If I got pregnant right away, they would be about a year and a half apart, which is what I really want. However, I've read that you should space pregnancies 18-24 months apart. Waiting this amount of time is supposed to allow your body to completely build up the nutrients lost having the first child.

I did everything right with my first child and I want to do the same with my second, but when I voiced my concerns with my dr, he basically said that theory was bull. He said my body wouldn't get pregnant again unless it was ready. I live in a huge hippy town. All the local docs are holistic and stuff, so I'm not really sure what to think. I'd like to here some other opinions. Thanks!

there is 51 weeks between my 2 too.
I had emergnacy C-section with my first and at my 6 week pp check I asked about trying again when baby was 3 months and we got the go head. I fell first time.
I was due on my eldest 1st birthday, had my 2nd a week early.
After having a baby you are very fertile, doesn't matter if you are breast feeding or not.
I did have quite a few problems with my second pregnancy. really bad morning sickness, low iron, low blood pressure, reduced movements from 33 weeks and contractions from 33 weeks.
Every pregnancy is different no matter how soon after having a baby you fall.

Thnx for replying. Yea, I just started my cycle back up since having her so we're being careful. A co-worker of mine has kids 13 months apart and she didn't have any issues with her second pregnancy and her kids are really close. I think it would be better for them to be close in age so they can play and go to preschool and stuff together. Better for me too! My sister was more like a nanny growing up, rather than a sister, because of the age gap. I'm also thinking about waiting another 6 months after I stop breast feeding to build nutrients back up and whatnot, but I also wanted to try for a fall baby and if I did that they would be like 3 yrs apart.. Not sure yet.

I've heard you should space pregnancies at least 12 months apart. If exclusively breastfeeding you will most likely not ovulate until you start weaning as the hormone produced for BF when released regularly suppresses ovulation (although not the case for every woman) this I believe is to protect us from not falling pregnant too quickly, all part of the plan so I dont think we were designed to have back to back pregnancies. But tbh if I was healthy and hadn't had a c section I probably wouldn't let it worry me too much, I would just make sure I had lost the pregnancy weight and was being especially healthy conscious. It was the actual babies that scared me off having them close together though, not the pregnancies :haha:

I got pregnant with my second while I was still breastfeeding my first at 7 months old. I didn't experience getting my period back after having my first baby and the one time we didn't use protection was the one time that did it.
So my two dd's are 16 months apart and second dd was born healthy and without any complications. My husband wants another child after we have our third and wants them to be close in age like this too. For me it depends on the personality of the child.

DH and I are considering trying to space our kids 15 months apart. I think it definitely depends on the person. If the doctor says you look good and ready, I'd go for it!

A year in a half doesn't sound too far a part. Two of my cousins they're sisters and they're 15 months apart and very close. I don't see the big deal about trying for a second at the end of this year.

I thought it was 9 months tomake a baby and 9 months to heal but people accidentally get pregnant straight away and are fine so I wouldn't worry to much if Dr said ok

I thought it was 9 months tomake a baby and 9 months to heal but people accidentally get pregnant straight away and are fine so I wouldn't worry to much if Dr said ok

hi there!! I have a 18month gap between DD2 and DD3 so I fell pregnant when DD2 was 9 months or so... and then i had an 11 month gap between DD3 and DS, so if doing the maths i was pregnant shortly after having him (unplanned)

All my children are absolutely perfect and healthy! and i am so fine. never had issues during my pregnancies, had straight forward and nice unmedicated deliveries, and we are all doing great! So much so we can't stop talking about when to actually start TTC no5 :D

I believe that your body won't let get pregnant or stay pregnant if it's not ready for it...

Oh and close age gaps are the best!! between my DD1 and DD2 there is a 4 year gap and i much prefer to see DD2 and DD3 because of the 18month gap. DD1 is like a little mommy to her siblings.

good luck!! xxx

I could have written this OP. DD was born April and we are considering trying from January onwards. It would end up being about an 18 month gap which is what my sister and I have and we get on great.

The thought of two under two does scare me somewhat though......!

If your doctor gave you the go ahead then if it's what's right for you and your family then I say go for it. I have heard 18-24 months, but that theory really is crap. The actual recommended theory is 9 months in, 9 months out (so basically when your baby hits 9 months old it's okay to start trying as your body has had enough time to heal). However, if you are breastfeeding it will probably make TTC difficult as breastfeeding really screws with your cycles and for the first 6 months only has a 2% failure rate as birth control when done consistently and exclusively (basically no formula is used). I just got my first PPP after my DS (currently 9 months and 2 weeks old) on June 9th and I still have yet to get my next period when I'm currently on CD28. It's very common for your first few cycles after a baby (especially if breastfeeding) to be irregular. It's also common not to ovulate at all for your first couple of cycles.
So this is something to keep in mind TTC while breastfeeding. It's also hard on your body to breastfeed while pregnant as you are then eating for 3 instead of 2. You may consider at least waiting until your cycles have evened out or until you've decided to wean your LO before TTC.

Btw, I'm totally jealous of your first pregnancy and birth experience, you were insanely lucky! :haha:
My first pregnancy and birth experience was a nightmare and I'm very hopeful that my next will be easier. The one justice that I was given is that my DS is a wonderfully easy baby.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I will go for what I truly want and try for the end of this year beginning of next yr. I just started my cycle back up and so far it's really light and not 28 days like it usually is. I used to be able to predict my period right to the time of day lol! I actually found out I was pregnant like 4 days before my missed period because I knew something was up and took a test. I'm going to start Trin on solid food in a couple months, so hopefully when I'm not exclusively breastfeeding anymore, it will get more regular. My only fear now is that I wont be able to lose the baby weight from the first pregnancy before I get pregnant again, but I will try!

Kalonkiki, I swore up and down that i would get an epidural this time around, but now that some time has passed I probably wont, so here's to hoping the second time around will be easier!

13 months between my two. If anything my second pregnancy and birth were easier and more straight forward than my first.
I love my kids small age gap. They're best friends, and it's amazing to watch them grow up so close. X

13 months between my two also. Both pregnancies and babies as healthy as can be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"