spd any advice

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Second Trimester' started by donnad, Oct 8, 2008.

1. donnad

donnad Well-Known Member

hi ladies i've just been to midwifes and she thinks that i'm now starting to have spd so i was just after any advice from you lovely ladies on here that have/had it for ways to cope with it please don't say resting cus i can't do that with 2 other kids lol.any advice would be great at this point.thanks everyone x

2. Amanda

Amanda Mum of 3

Aww hun.:hugs: I had it really bad with Charlie and am already getting the tell-tale signs this time around.

Did your mw refer you to a physio? If not, get straight on the phone to her. That should have been the first thing she did. The physio will be able to give you some exercises, and maybe supply you with a support belt. If she can't give you a belt, you can buy one from Ebay for about £20. Try and keep your legs together as much as possible when you move. Especially when getting in and out of cars, and rolling over in bed. Get a good support pillow for sleeping, it's a godsend. Try and go up and down stairs sideways, and one step at a time. I know resting isn't an option, but some things that will really agrivate SPD are hoovering, mopping and standing still for long peroids (so cooking and ironing). So try and delegate or ask friends/family for help.

And lastly, do not be afraid of asking for help. :hugs:

3. donnad

donnad Well-Known Member

thanks amanda can't wait till i tell dh he's got to do the ironing lol

4. Freya

Freya Toddler and baby

Hi,

Thanks Amanda for the tips!!! I hadn't really told anyone the amount of discomfort and pain I've been feeling (probably mainly since 26 weeks), as assumed it was a normal part of pregnancy, also as I had a small frame pre-pregnancy, I thought maybe I was 'stretching out a bit'. But today, my NCT antenatal teacher said she thought I may have SPD. Never paid the condition much attention, but how you say getting up out of cars, rolling over in bed, standing, hoovering.... all my problem areas. I've not got long to go so I wont make much fuss, but my goodness I feel like an old lady!!!

xxx

5. o0oCharlieo0o

o0oCharlieo0o Well-Known Member

hey hun, your midwife should hav referred you to physio, definatly phone her and ask her to, they will give you excercises that will really help, sleep with a pillow between your knees and turn over in bed keeping the pillow there (so legs closed!) and a real help is to get a small bag (freezer bag) of say frozen peas, wrap it in a flannel and put it down there when sitting (clothed lol) and that REALLY helps, you definatly need to go physio though its such a help and they wil give you a booklet of best ways to give birth if you have spd because laying the normal way isnt best xxx

6. Freya

Freya Toddler and baby

Seeing my midwife next tuesday, so now I will mention all symptoms and ask for some extra advice and help! Thanks for the push oOocharlieoOo!!

xxx