• Welcome back! The Xenforo Cloud migration is now complete. Thank you for your patience! NOTE: please make sure to report any issues to our Technical Support forum and we'll review ASAP.

SPD post pregnancy

Caroline

Proud Mum of 4
Reaction score
I suppose I am expecting too much but my SPD this past weeek has been worse than ever. It seems to have movedmore to the front and groin area and I can barely walk at times even with crutches. Am going to see GP tomorrow to get more painkillers. I was expecting it to slowly improve not deteriorate. I did have afew reall good days last week and could potter around downstairs without crutches. Maybe i've just over done it. I thinkig that I would be able to do bits and pieces like put away maternity things, sort out clothes etc, but I'm still reliant on DH to do everything. What with hormones being all over the palce at the mo it is really getting me down. Poor DH has to cope running round after me and the kids and I keep bursting into tears often for no reason.

Sorry to go on but feel so useless at the moment.

Awwww hun SPD just doesn't dissapear straight after child birth, although we wish it would!!

Its going to take a while to get sorted just keep with it babe!

Awww i know its hard, but chin up and TBH bursting in to tears is normal i did i think tam did too!!

Hope things improve babes!
xxx

Thanks Imi I was just expecting it to get better over the first few weeks, but its not happening. I am naturally impatient and expect everything done yesterday:rofl: so i will just have to put my feet up and let OH run around after me for a little while longer. I'm nomally very independant and hate being so reliant on ppl.

I must be mad as I'm considering having number four although midwife did suggest leaving it for awhile b4 ttc again. Will prob wait 18 months or so. Interestingly I you get differing opinons on SPD returning. Some ppl say will be worse with future pg, but others had it bad with 3rd baby, none with 1st and 2nd and went on to have 4th and no SPD.

Best person to talk to about the SPD after birth would be Tam .. she still suffered quite bad!

Chin up and let him keep his pinny on a bit longer lol!
xxx

Am going to go to bed in a bit and watch ER. I have put my foot down with family and told them that they can only visit for a few days and not a fullweek and have boooked them into B and B too!

Really annoying thing is can't have a lie in on a Monday as OH take dd to pre school in am and has to stay with her. If I don't get up with them I'm stuck upstairs till dinnertime as i can't goet downstairs with baby.

Thankfully DH is a stay at home dad otherwise i'd be really stuck as he would have to go back to work if he was working.

Will try and speak to Tam. Don't always get online much depends how often Kayleigh feeding.

Well with SPD normally being caused by relaxin hormones, I think they normally take about 6 weeks to leave the system, hence why you have to wait before taking up high impact exercising again. Also if you think about it your bones and mucles have got used to a completly different posture and centre of gravity over the last few months, so now having had the baby your whole posture and weight distribution has changed again, so this is prob putting a whole load of new stresses on your pelvic joints.

Try to sit back and put your feet up and let OH do the work!

Awww, hun, you really sound like you are suffering.:hugs:

I was one of the minority that was extremely lucky and my SPD went more-or-less immediately. I am convinced that this is because I pushed for an elective c section as I couldn't open my hips wide enough.

As Cat says, it can take about 6 weeks or so for the hormone to leave your system, so you should start to see a difference soon hun.

I think a lot of it is related to birth as during labour i got severe pain on pubic bone when contractions were close together and painfull. I was demanding epidural as i really couldn't cope. Fortunately Kayleigh arrived b4 they could do it. I am hoping it will settle down soon. Was supposed to see GP today for more painkillers but cancelled appt as was up all night with KAyleigh feeding. Didn't go to bed until 6am so slept in while Kayleigh slept so didn't want to get up at 9.30 to go to Drs. As its Easter he rang me at ome and wsa happy to do another prescription. Will have to discuss at 6 wk check if not gone. If we have no4 (although more likely to be when,) if I get SPD again i think i will push very hard (sorry no pun intended) for a c section.

I still get SPD now, and Jack is 14 months!

I still struggle to walk, been back to the docs, had more physio and she said that my muscles that hold my hips in place have loosened causing the pain, she just gave me exercises!

I struggle to turn over in bed STILL and i can't atand on one leg to put my trousers on- if i walk a distance then i am in pain.

Its awful. i am one of those few that don't go back , trust me! :dohh:

I hope it goes back to normal soon hun, there is nothing more frustrating:hugs:

:hugs: Yvonne. Do they think it will ever settle. One of the midwives i saw had it and she said hers sometimes flares up and her lo is 3. Maybe i should just keep the crutches permanently:rofl:.

I hope yours will settle eventually, i just have to be realistic and take things very easy. Some days it really gets to me especially as i'm still very hormonal, and cry at anything and nothing. All i can say is thank goodness for tesco home delivery, at least i don't have the stress of doing the weekly food shop!

It will probably ease, just rest when you can, mine is more like burning pain in the groin now, its not everywhere.
Its very restricting which is what upsets me, when i have 2 LO's to run around after and play with but sometimes i can't!

Fingers crossed for you hun, it will ease soon :hugs:

Hiya babe,

I know exactly how you feel about the SPD after birth :cry:

I was the same as you, I was expecting everything to be almost back to normal as I kept getting told the only cure is to give birth, that will sort you out......but it didn't!

The worst bit was I had an epidural and hours later I walked down to have a bath and was telling Paul how great I felt and how the SPD was 90% gone, all to find out later on that the epidural had not worn off completely and left me almost immobile and able to do less than when I went into hospital on crutches! :cry:

I had SPD so bad after having Alfie, I was really low and yes I did a lot of bursting into tears! I still have the SPD now, but not as bad as it has been, although I do seem to have some bad days where I struggle to walk (that happened a few times last week) and I too get the burning sensation, but I get that in my pubic bone and I also get a sharp stabbing pain in my pubic bone too.......but it really is better than it was initially and no longer a constant pain. I also find it plays up after going out and about or walking further than I have been used to!

I will be going back to my GP to talk about it with her and see about seeing my physio again if it carries on the way it has been.

I hope you are OK babe and hope the SPD eases up very soon! :hugs: x

I will be going back to my GP to talk about it with her and see about seeing my physio again if it carries on the way it has been.

I found physio helped but sometimes it only masked it, the pain would ease after the exercises but soon came back after, depending on how bad the pain is that day.

Thnaks Tam and Yvonne. It makes me feel better knowing i'm not alone like this. Glad i never got the epidural now as i think i'd have felt like you Tam. (note to self i will get birth story posted).

Lack of sleep doesn't help matters either. Madam is a hungry monkey. The other night i didn't actually get to bed until 6am as someone wanted continual feeding. Didi eventually get 3 hrs, but made me feel like s**t next day. Thankfullty last night went down at 2am and then woke every 3hrs. Lack of sleep seems to make spd worse. HAd quite a good day today and haven't had too much pain but i will not over do it . I learnt my lesson last time.

You girls are great. I don't know what i'd do without you. Thanks for the support and advice, Caroline xx

I am having a bad time at the moment with my hips. But also back pain across the bra strap area. I am not sure wether it is related to my spd or not. I have been re-referred to the physio but have been told that because my pre-birth open appointment has expired I have to wait 10-12 weeks for an appointment. Bloody NHS!

Got reffered and am now waiting ...

Grrrrrrrr
xxx

Hello Ladies,

I am fairly new to this site and have just been reading these posts regarding SPD.

I didn't suffer from SPD during either of my pregnancies but the birth of my second son, was very traumatic and I was left with SPD. This was very shocking considering I was able to walk into hospital in advanced labour but was unable to walk out again!!:wacko: I was unable to walk without the crutches for about six months. I had all the usual probs that go along with SPD.

Now my baby is 15 months old and I still have bad days, I also have the burning sensation in my groin area as well as painfull hips. I have just accepted that this is how life will be now (otherwise I would not b able to cope).

I will never have any more children because I found the whole situation very stressful. I am very independant and to leave hospital not even able to stand in the shower by myself let alone lift myself on and off the toilet was devastating for me.

Thank god for my DH, who had to give up work to take care of me and our boys he was a saint.

My best wishes to all SPD sufferers. xx SPD Stinks:hissy:

Emma

x

Im still sky high on pain killers thats all my GP/consultsant can be arsed to do ...

Can't wait till i move, maybe then i'll get physio!

xxx

I hope you find the physio works for you. I didn't keep up with it because i found it too painful. Also I first saw the physio 5 days after giving birth and she made me stand in my bra and pants I already felt poo without standing there in my underwear while she looked me up and down (the skinny, attractive cow) PMSL.

Emma
x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back