SPD

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Third Trimester' started by Pudding-x123, Apr 14, 2009.

1. Pudding-x123

Pudding-x123 Guest

For you ladies who suffer with SPD, how did you know you had this? When it first started was it mild?

For a while now, I have had a sharp pain in my foof area, but only when I turn over at night time to fast. Also terrible backache, and today a little pop noise.

xx
    Thank you in advance

2. littlemansmum

littlemansmum Mum Of 2 Beautiful Boys x

Mine started with pain in my pelvis and i couldn't turn over at night without being in agony and taking ages, just went from there, i went to see physio and when she held my legs apart i nearly passed out.
    She said that is one of the tell tale signs but i don't know, but anyway she said i have SPD, when i waddle i can feel my pelvis kinda clicking and distorting and it hurts like buggery and a whole other list of times it hurts but i do find a body pillow helps in bed.

Hope your foof pain stops soon honey, huge hugs xxx

3. Babydance

Babydance Well-Known Member

Yours sounds like how mine started, i will say though if its starting now as mild get a pillow between your knees now whilst you sleep!! I've got a V shaped pillow thats between my legs every night or i cant move when i get up! I pop and creek all the time down there!! xx

4. ribboninthesky

ribboninthesky Proud Mum of 3! :o)

Mine's awful now ~ I've got to clutch my bump when I walk because the pain is really bad.

And like you've all said, the pain when turning over in bed......oh my God.....OUCH!!

5. Pink_Witch

Pink_Witch proud mummy of 6

you have my sympathies hun because it is vile!! i have had it for 11 weeks now.

mine started with the familiar clicking down there,and the pain when walking and got worse over the space of a couple of days!!

i was given crutches by the physio 10 weeks ago,and i am totally dependant on them now. I am in that much pain that i am virtually housebound-i only go out if i really need to(the school run!!) i either lie down or sit on the couch that is all i can do, and even that hurts.

Turning over in bed is agony-and i can no longer have a pillow between my knees as it is too painful,and i havent slept properly in weeks as i cant lay on one side for too long so i am awake every 30 minutes or so to turn over. If i sneeze it is agony! driving is agony, not being able to do anything is getting me down.

my husband has had so much unpaid time off work just latley to be able to look after me and the kids and do the housework and cooking,but we really cant afford him to do that anymore!!

I was able to go out if i used one of the electric buggys in the supermarket or the local shopping centre but now i cant even do that because of the pain-so i now do my shopping online!

i have the hospital on monday and i am hoping that they will agree to induce me at 37 weeks because of it.

6. Naya69

Naya69 Well-Known Member

mine was mild but gor so bad when i sat down at a nite i couldnt move i got in bed and that was it for the nite i couldnt even go toilet.
    when i turned over at nite the pain was so bad i even heard the pop a few times but once i delivered i only had it mild for a few dys and i was bk to normal xx

7. MummyMummy

MummyMummy Well-Known Member

i had this with 1st son which was diagnosed at around 5months. it went after i give birth, although when i was due on i got the spd/pgp, feltlike hips were turning in.

thistime i had it literallyfromthe beginning, but got noticable around the 11week mark, then was referred to physio at 14weeks. shegave me abelt, whichi've lost cause of not sorting house out when we moved in :\

lifting legs, seperating legs, getting up, walking, moving in general, rolling over in bed - 1 thing i have noticed thathelps is instead of using your legs as your support use your arms as if you are doing girlie press ups, that way the weight is going on your arms not your leg/pubic area. bending downs a bugger too.

i never go outunless absolutemust and even then me and mr.man plan it so that day or twobefore it i rest as muchas pos.

although i am in agony i do find now anyway that a bit of a walk does wonders...once you get past that stiff stage.

my nan and grandad have been doing so much re: looking after 3year old/picking him up from school/taking him out the house etcetc.

youcan take paracetamol, although i don't like to take tablets wheather preg or not. you can also ask for an induction too. my midwife was gonnareferme, but i'd rather suffer for a week-3more than force my baby outwhen she/he isn't ready.

it isn't just the pain that gets you down it's the emotional side... therelying on eveeryone, doing nothing foryourself, staying in all the time that really getsto you.

clicking happens often and apillow does bugger all.
    xXx

8. Mamatastic

Mamatastic Well-Known Member

There is a thread in the Buddy section for us SPD sufferers and there is some really helpful info on there. Mine started like I had been kicked in the pubic bone repeatedly, now my hips hurt badly in bed and my lower back hurts when I walk. Physio gave me crutches which has helpd.

9. Kimboowee

Kimboowee Complete

I first started noticing it whilst in bed turning over, then it was getting out. Now its like a constant pain in the pubic bone, it feels like ive been kicked by a horse!

10. Becca L

Becca L Well-Known Member

I bought this belt on the internet and it helped quite a lot: https://www.ossurwebshop.co.uk/maternity-supports/duo-trochanteric-belt/prod_13.html
    It was better than the one the NHS physio gave me because it was a lot smaller and easier to move with. The other thing which helped was a wheat bag that I heated in the microwave and put in the affected area (between legs!) Also, lots of warm baths.

A bit of hope - SPD can get a bit better during pregnancy. I was in a terrible state between 24 and 30 weeks - could barely walk 200 metres - but then the baby moved more centrally and the pain reduced quite a lot. I can now walk 2 km!

Lots of sympathy to people who are still suffering. It can make you feel so miserable because every movement is painful. Good luck!