'special' nursing tops?

Discussion in 'Breastfeeding' started by minichicky, Dec 23, 2009.

1. minichicky

minichicky mummy to isaac

Hi ladies
    Second question from me today!!!
    What do we think of specificly designed nursing tops? Good or waste of money?
    Ive seen a few in the sales and dont know weather to bother with them or not?
    Is it 'easy' to feed wearing a normal top and just hoisting it up or pulling it down?
    I have read a great tip about wearing a bump band under your normal top to cover your tummy when pulling it up but as I will hopefully feeding through out the summer, Im a bit weary of having that extra layer?
    So to buy or not to buy?

Thanks

2. soootired

soootired Well-Known Member

Lots of the "nursing" tops i have bought have been pretty much useless. The acces is great but they are made from clingy materil not good for baby bellies lol, are a nightmare ironing wise and seen to mainly be on colour which is not good for milk/sick stains.
    I have found that its best to get the nursing vest tops (or any vest top) and wear those check shirts that are everywhere at the moment. access just as good, no ironing needed and sick stains just blend in.

3. twists183

twists183 Mother of 1 little boy

Go to Primark or somewhere cheap and look for tops you can open at the top (eg buttons) or cardigans/shrugs that go over a clip down breastfeeding vest but keep your tummy covered. Anything else is a huge expense and personally a waste of money. They really are too expensive, unflattering and nothing like anything you'd choose to wear. I spent £100, vast majority on loads of press stud/button open tops and cardies/hoodies from Primark (who cares if these get tatty, they are so cheap) and three clip down breast feeding vests, black, grey and white from Mothercare. I'm now all sorted and can wear many of the things after I've stopped BF too :)

Good luck

4. Rebaby

Rebaby Mama to 2 boys

I have two and they have both only been worn once and probably won't be worn again. At home i don't bother being discreet and when i am out and about i have found that a drop-down vest top under a t shirt or sweater works best :thumbup: Will be buying some more nursing vests in january and not bother with any more "breastfeeding tops" as i find them faffy and expensive and the ones i have aren't very flattering and make me feel really mumsy (and in a frumpy way not a nice way!)

5. Shazzy-babee

Shazzy-babee mummy

i havnt bought any, wen i first had shaya i just used to wear strap tops and pull it down, but now i just life my top up, have a cardi on and button it up ova my belly if i get cold :)

6. kateqpr

kateqpr Well-Known Member

I got a couple of nice ones from mamaway.co.uk which where well designed and discreet for when i was out and about. Also got a few good vests with the feeding holes well hidden (rather than the ones where the strap just undoes so your whole boob is on few). With lots of good vests, i then just wore normal, but looser or button open tops over the top.

7. pennysbored

pennysbored Well-Known Member

Around the house I seem to live in my house coat, but out and about I wear a belly band and t-shirts (I usually wear fitted t-shirts anyway). I find that a cardigan while you are out covers the "muffin top" that I seem to have such a hard time shaking while I am feeding.

8. Kiddo

Kiddo Well-Known Member

I only have one breast feeding top and, honestly, I find it the least discreet thing I have to bf in. I went to Primark and bought a bunch of vests for £1 each and just wear them under whatever I'm wearing that day. The top comes up, the vest comes down and there's nothing on show, whereas the bf top leaves a big gap at the top of my breast. It's fine and handy if I'm just pottering around the house or at my mum's/gran's/sister's house but I don't like feeding in it in public.

9. sun

sun Mum of 3

I have a few bf vests (that is the same as a tank top, right??? :blush: ) and these are the best things I have. I just wear my regular shirts over them, pull it up, and nothing is on display. They are nice enough to wear alone in the summer too when it gets stinky hot here and I couldn't wear 2 shirts. For me the bf-specific tops would be a waste of money.
    xx

10. SianMA

SianMA Mum to Ryan TTC#2

I've found that nursing vest tops are the most useful worn under a shirt or other top as they cover your tummy when pulling your top up and they also make my wobbly mummy tummy look a bit better under normal thin tops. I also use my bump bands tucked into the bottom of my nursing bras to achieve the same effect.

My main problem is that my boobs are now so huge that they don't fit into the nursing tops as they only go up to size 18. I did see some bra converter kits online that I guess I could use to convert standard hidden support vests in my size to nursing ones, might be cheaper too!

11. JayleighAnn

JayleighAnn Guest

Whats a house coat :wacko: Is it a dressing gown? Lol

I have 3 and like them when I'm out and its cold cause then my belly isn't on show. But I got 3 of £20 second hand, rather than buying them new. I need to get some vests though x

12. Whoppy-pop

Whoppy-pop Amelia-Rose

I don't have any special BF tops at all. I did look for some just before giving birth but couldn't find any I liked. I just wear my normal clothes and wear a strappy t-shirt underneath. That way if I need to fee whilst out I can pull on top up and the other down thus revealing nothing and still feel good about what I'm wearing. Plus the extra top helps to hold in a mummy tummy!

13. westbrja

westbrja Well-Known Member

I loved my nursing tanks. They were much more affordable than those "frumpy" nursing tops, around $15. I loved that the tanks gave me full tummy coverage and still allowed easy access to the boobs. Good Luck!

14. minichicky

minichicky mummy to isaac

Thanks everyone. I think i will leave it till nearer the time and see how I get on with normal tops! I do already have a few grandad style vests from last summer so hopefully they will still fit!

15. mommyof3co

mommyof3co Mommy of 4 amazing boys!

Something that I highly recommend is a nursing tank!! I lived in mine the first few weeks, those and pjs pants, made life much easier haha. Offered support so I didn't have to wear an uncomfortable bra all the time. I did have some other nursing tops but really the only ones i wore alot were my tanks, I would even put them under regular shirts then I'd have my stomach covered and just lifted up the regular shirt on top