Speech App

Discussion in 'Toddler & Pre-School' started by Babybump87, May 9, 2021.

1. Babybump87

Babybump87 Mummy to my three musketeers

Can anyone recommend an app for delayed speech in a toddler please ?

We want to use it along side all the things we are doing 1-1 with DS.

2. Jft1

Jft1 Well-Known Member

I don’t have any suggestions, but would be interested to hear what other people have to say. Can I ask how old your son is? My son is 18 months and doesn’t use any words at all, my health visitor gave me a book with hints and tips, but I’m keen to try anything to help bring him on a bit

3. DobbyForever

DobbyForever First Time Momma

No apps but my kid loved this one channel on YT Kids. This lady throws animal toys in a pool and names them. Since developmentally they start with labeling, I didn’t mind him. Eventually he started saying them. I don’t think it helped. But I don’t think it hurt. Sorry for being not helpful

4. Babybump87

DS is now 23 months so obviously very worried about his speech. He basically babbles or talks in his own language. Pushing hard for a referral to SLT but banging my head against a brick wall. !! So frustrating .

5. Babybump87

haha thanks for your reply Dobby it’s so hard trying to work out the best for them !

6. DobbyForever

DobbyForever First Time Momma

Haha seriously. I think the best advice I got in speech therapy was to just let him lead me vs focusing on teaching a specific thing or using an app or using communication boards/pecs. Once I just started incorporating goals into activities he wanted and he was ready, I started seeing huge gains. But seriously always hard as a parent with second guessing and wondering if you’re doing right by them. But you so are!

7. Babybump87

Yes, your so right we have been working on getting him to pop bubbles as he wasn’t pointing and focusing on animal sounds ! I’m glad everything worked out for your DS ! It’s so tough

Thanks Dobby ! After numerous calls today and some tough words said (by me ) we have an appointment on Thursday for him to be officially assessed and referred to SLT !! God I am sooo happy !

8. Phantom

Phantom Mommy

Speech blubs

Babybump87 likes this.
  9. Babybump87

Thank you @Phantom I will have a look !

Have you seen progress with your child/ren while using it ?

10. Jft1

Jft1 Well-Known Member

Hey! I know this is from a while back, but I just wondered how your DS is getting on now. When I first commented my DS was only 18 months old, he’s not just turned 2 and I’m no further forward with his speech. Got my first SLT appoint on the 14th but really keen to hear how you’re getting on! Hope all good!

11. Babybump87

Since he’s turned 2 he’s had a major speech explosion . He’s more or less caught up to what I would now expect from a 2 year old vocab wise - he’s for sure still got immature speech and will need therapy but he can talk and communicate with us .

26 months old is the month he really started talking and was saying a new word everyday nearly . Once he said that one word it all came within 4/5 months. He literally tells you everything now . I can understand but grandparents etc don’t sometimes .

SLT will hopefully help you further at your appointment . I am still waiting for an appointment , there was a massive waiting list!

12. Jft1

Jft1 Well-Known Member

Thank you so much. A lot of people I’ve spoken to have said that when their child turned 2.5 they seemed to have an explosion. He’s just about 25 months and I’ve been feeling so deflated about it all. But hearing your story has really been great and so positive. I really hope another month or so and he’ll be the same, praying every day for a speech explosion!

13. Babybump87

Honestly I was super worried and like you deflated about my DSs speech and he’s totally turned it around ! I hope the same for your DS too ! I’m sure it will come!
    Please come back and update xx