Spotting and bloody out of hours doctors :(

bunnyg82

Mum to 2 gorgeous boys
Reaction score
So, I started spotting tonight, not a lot but it was there when I wiped and so after looking at my notes and stuff it said to phone the maternity unit.

I phoned them and they said to phone the out of hours docs, which I did and went down there. My god they are useless :dohh:

It went something like this:

Doc: how many days pregnant are you?
Me: I am 9 weeks pregnant
Doc: did you take a pregnancy test?!
Me: yes, I took a test and I am 9 weeks pregnant!

Grrr not the best start - so anyway, went on to tell him that I have had spotting, that it's not much, etc etc. Loads of poking and prodding. He took my blood pressure and it was high and he said are you anxious - umm what do you think you idiot!? FFS!!!

Anyway, more poking, he also got his stethoscope out asked me to stand up and started putting it on my upper belly through my t-shirt! I'm thinking, the baby isn't there you idiot! It's still in the pelvic area. Feeling no confidence in this guy at all by this point!

Then he said basically there is three scenarios here - either it's a threatened miscarriage, an ectopic pregnancy or if the bleeding gets heavier then it's an "abortion" - nice word, thanks very much! So I am feeling great by now. Now although I know that these things are a possibility I also know that spotting can be normal too and he didn't even mention this. In fact before the maternity unit told me to phone the gp's she said she wanted to reassure me to say this is quite common at 9 weeks because it's this stage of pregnancy that the placenta attaches itself.

Then he said he wanted a second opinion so waited for another doctor. The other doctor basically said the same thing although was nicer and they said we'd just have to wait and see and there's nothing we can do about it is if its a miscarriage. So this is the point I start to well up :cry:

I have been told I have to rest. He asked if I was going to work tomorrow and when I said yes, he said "don't", rest lots and basically that I can sign myself off for a week! I feel like such a fraud doing that, but obviously dont want to put my little bean at risk.

Also, the first doc said he'd sort me out with a scan and then at the end when I asked, he said my gp would have to do that.

I feel in such limbo now :(

So, I started spotting tonight, not a lot but it was there when I wiped and so after looking at my notes and stuff it said to phone the maternity unit.

I phoned them and they said to phone the out of hours docs, which I did and went down there. My god they are useless :dohh:

It went something like this:

Doc: how many days pregnant are you?
Me: I am 9 weeks pregnant
Doc: did you take a pregnancy test?!
Me: yes, I took a test and I am 9 weeks pregnant!

Grrr not the best start - so anyway, went on to tell him that I have had spotting, that it's not much, etc etc. Loads of poking and prodding. He took my blood pressure and it was high and he said are you anxious - umm what do you think you idiot!? FFS!!!

Anyway, more poking, he also got his stethoscope out asked me to stand up and started putting it on my upper belly through my t-shirt! I'm thinking, the baby isn't there you idiot! It's still in the pelvic area. Feeling no confidence in this guy at all by this point!

Then he said basically there is three scenarios here - either it's a threatened miscarriage, an ectopic pregnancy or if the bleeding gets heavier then it's an "abortion" - nice word, thanks very much! So I am feeling great by now. Now although I know that these things are a possibility I also know that spotting can be normal too and he didn't even mention this. In fact before the maternity unit told me to phone the gp's she said she wanted to reassure me to say this is quite common now because it's this stage of pregnancy that the placenta attaches itself.

Then he said he wanted a second opinion so waited for another doctor. The other doctor basically said the same thing although was nicer and they said we'd just have to wait and see and there's nothing we can do about it is if its a miscarriage. So this is the point I start to well up :cry:

I have been told I have to rest. He asked if I was going to work tomorrow and when I said yes, he said "don't", rest lots and basically that I can sign myself off for a week! I feel like such a fraud doing that, but obviously dont want to put my little bean at risk.

Also, the first doc said he'd sort me out with a scan and then at the end when I asked, he said my gp would have to do that.

I feel in such limbo now :(

I am going to the doctors tomorrow as been spotting too and heard both sides of the story (bad things can happen or its perfectly normal' so I too have got myself into a state :cry:

Hugs :hugs:

I am going to the doctors tomorrow as been spotting too and heard both sides of the story (bad things can happen or its perfectly normal' so I too have got myself into a state :cry:

Hugs :hugs:

Fingers crossed for you tomorrow :hugs: x

Aww I feel for both of you!

I have had spotting since 4 weeks and a LOT of blood loss beginning at 6 weeks ... had a scan around 6w5d and bean was fine, with heartbeat and everything! Still spotting/bleeding since then so who knows, I guess I will find out at my scan in a week or two, but I've had no cramping so it could well be ok.

Anyway to get to the point: I had to go to the weekend doctor for the bleeding at 6 weeks and (unlike your dope) he was very friendly and nice. He told me the following (in a much gentler way):

*Could be nothing
*Could be an ectopic pregnancy
*Could be the beginning of a miscarriage.

He poked and prodded me and pressed all over my abdomen, which didn't hurt at all. He said that this was a good sign as if it was an ectopic pregnancy I would most probably be in pain when he pressed all over the place (this is not medical advice mind you!) I thought that most ectopics began to be a problem around 7 weeks so I would have thought that you were past that stage, but again I'm no doctor so take that with a grain of salt.

He said that the only way to really be sure what was going on was to have a scan, and yes it was an awful few days waiting to get that organised (it had to be done by my normal GP too, though I am not in the UK so YMMV).

I suggest that you call your GP and midwife first thing in the morning and ask to get a scan organised for peace of mind. They may tell you that it's not necessary for just a bit of spotting. I'm afraid I'm not sure about that. Having had so much bleeding, a little bit of spotting doesn't sound like a big deal to me but that's just a matter of perspective, I totally understand that it IS a big deal and I know first hand how scary it is. So have lots of :hugs: from me and try not to worry (haha, I know) until the morning. If you have no cramping then that is a GOOD, GOOD SIGN.

So sorry the Dr's aren't helping. That is why I am not calling today. I have been spotting / streaking for the past few weeks. Been diagnosed with hematoma, but either way, I hate seeing the red!! I have had a couple of follow up U/S's and the Dr's just keep telling me that it is to be expected with my Hematoma :-(

I hate the waiting and not knowing if all is ok. I am in the same boat again today. I starting spotting again last night (bright red) and more than any of the other times I have spotted yet. It is still lightly there today and has tapered off, but again...still there. So I will probably call the dr. in the morning, but I don't expect them to want to see me. I know that if it is bad news there is nothing they can do, but the waiting is just the worst!!! (((HUGS))) to you both and of course :dust: to all of us!!! I just pray that God has got me and you too in his thoughts right now!!!

Oh hun...What a dick of a Dr..:hugs: Hope it's nothing and everything settles down for you soon

You are not alone. I just started spotting this weekend and of course I have to wait until morning til I can call the docs. It started out brown but now a bright red and i have a pain in my side. Gah why does these things have to happen on the weekend?!!!

what an idit i hope your ok hun stick bubz stick xxxxx

Spotting can cause alot of stress, try to stay as relaxed as possible! Hope for the best, and I would definately contact your doc/midwife to arrange a scan..

:hugs: aww hun. I hope its just the normal spotting of the placenta attachment

Thanks everyone, well I haven't had any since, so fingers crossed it was just a one off! I just wish the docs hadn't been so useful! Ah well the trials of pregnancy eh!? x

Glad your spotting has stopped, it's very scary isn't it. Take it easy hun xx

Thank you! Yeah it is bloody scary!! Especially as I had no bleeding up until then.

So it looks like it was just the one evening and nothing since thank god. I have been resting lots since then though so just have my fingers crossed that it was a one off :) xx

Oh my lovely, I'm so sorry you had to go through that. I'm thinking of you and really hope everything turns out ok. Chin up hun, remember I'm OK and had the same.It CAN be totally normal!!! Bloody docs :grr:

i've recently had 2 episodes of spotting like this but all is fine... just request a scan to put your mind at rest. my doctor said they have to check out the smallest amount of spotting to be on the safe side but that it was very likely to be nothing significant..

don't worry sweetheart, have some time off work, demand a scan and remember the amount of women who experience this. at the end of the day, imagine how much our bodies change and prepare for pregnancy. a little spotting here and there is not extraordinary. xx

sorry your having spotting! have you gave epu a ring to see if they will scan you? our hospital scan every morig mite beworth a try so at least you can relax over christmas? glad youve not had any more! x

Thanks everyone - well as it was such a small amount on that one evening I haven't pursued it. I thought if I had any more I'd given them a ring but I feel happy enough now that everything is ok and I have two weeks now until my planned scan xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->