spotting and cramps after pap smear

lotuspetals

Reaction score
Hi ladies. I'm slightly worried today. Yesterday was my first scan and OB appt. Dr. gave me a pap smear and said not to be concerned if I bled some today..unless I soaked through a pad, of course.

Today, I woke up with some mild cramping in my lower abdomen. I felt it again in the afternoon, then when I checked my panties and wiped there was some brownish discharge. I'm almost positive I'm okay and it's because my cervix was irritated from the pap, but since it's something new to me, I'm still a little worried. Should I call the nurse tomorrow and ask her about this? Has the same happened to any of you?

tia

I have the same thing every time I have a vaginal ultrasound. My doctor just says it sort of irritates the cervix a little. I just have a small amount and then it never comes again. I actually didn't have it with my last vaginal ultrasound, though.

I'd say your situation is similar, so if it clears up and doesn't come back, I think you're good!

I had the same thing after my pap. Bled some immediately and was told that I could expect spotting. It lasted about 24 hours and went away. I bet you're fine! :)

Excuse me if im being dumb, but why would they give a pregnant woman a smear? Surely its not good. Is a pap the same as a normal smear? When i had my appointment with the midwife, she told me not to go for my smear thats due in July, which i wouldnt of done anyway. I live in the UK, maybe its different here. Anyway Hun, i hope the spotting stops, take it easy and try and rest, till your back to normal. :hugs:

Excuse me if im being dumb, but why would they give a pregnant woman a smear? Surely its not good. Is a pap the same as a normal smear? When i had my appointment with the midwife, she told me not to go for my smear thats due in July, which i wouldnt of done anyway. I live in the UK, maybe its different here. Anyway Hun, i hope the spotting stops, take it easy and try and rest, till your back to normal. :hugs:

No, that's a good question. Its just different over here in the US, I guess. Since I hadn't had a pap in over a year, it was standard procedure. He said I would have one more after delivery as well.

Oh, and yes, a pap smear is probably the same as a smear, that's just what they call it here.

I love this post because it happened to me at my 10 weeks appointment I had a pap test and then 2 hours later (long appointment) they sent me for a urine sample and blood work. I freaked out bawling like a baby when I wiped and saw a bunch of brownish like blood and even a tinge of red. i went right back up to the doctor as I was losing it....they told me it was normal and that they should have warned me but they did another internal check on the spot as I was freaking out. She said the cervix was scratched and they could see the brown blood there still but assured me everything was fine....and they were right! But....I swear I wont be getting another one of those during this pregnancy!!

they wont do a smear over hear when youre pregnant x

I had my first prenatal appt. yesterday- definitely have some light brown spotting and cramping. I had a transvaginal ultrasound done, as well as a pap smear. Yup, I was worried too- but my doc told me it's completely normal to spot afterwards. Definitely don't like seeing it though ...

O yes, it happened to me too. Right after the papsmear, the doc told me that I would probably see some spotting after the appointment. As long as it's brownish, it's okay~ :thumbup:

its amazing how different things are in different countries, ive never had any kind of internal examination in any pregnancy until i was actually in established labour to see how dialated i was, facinates me the differences around the world! :)

Oh yes wow, I mean my midwife said i was to definately not have my smear that im due so i cant believe you have them! Horrible to have to go through the stress of spotting :-/

And we have them every 3 years, not every year. I agree surprised they do them whilst u PG. why not wait 9 months?

Thx for all the replies, ladies. I didn't know that they don't do them to pg women in the UK. Kind of makes me mad that I had to have one. I'm sure all will be okay, but yes, it is stressful seeing ANY blood or feeling cramps when there hasn't been any (for me, at least) the whole 12 weeks.

Yea..not sure why it's a standard procedure in the US.

As for cramping...it's probably not from the papsmear. It's normal to have some cramping here and there as the LO settling down and making room :)

I'm still cramping and spotting today, so I called an OB nurse, who said the usual, ” don't worry unless cramping becomes painful or brown blood turns to red, yada yada..”

It just sucks...everything has been fine until my pap and internal ultrasound. Nurse said neither could cause a mc, but my mind still likes to entertain the most horrible scenarios.

"Risks: There are no risks associated with the Pap smear. (But there are definite risks to your baby, including eye infections and pneumonia, if you give birth while you have an undiagnosed, untreated infection.)"

https://www.whattoexpect.com/pregnancy/pregnancy-health/prenatal-testing/pap-smear.aspx

I guess that answers the "why would they do a pap smear during pregnancy" question?

"Risks: There are no risks associated with the Pap smear. (But there are definite risks to your baby, including eye infections and pneumonia, if you give birth while you have an undiagnosed, untreated infection.)"

https://www.whattoexpect.com/pregnancy/pregnancy-health/prenatal-testing/pap-smear.aspx

I guess that answers the "why would they do a pap smear during pregnancy" question?

Thank you. That's good to know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"