Spotting at 15 Weeks- PLEASE READ!

StayHopeful

Reaction score
I'm just over 15 weeks and around 10 last night I went to the restroom and noticed some bright red spotting. It wasn't a whole lot, but definitely enough to be noticeable on my panty liner and when I wiped. I'd gone to the bathroom about an hour before that and didn't notice anything. I didn't have any pain or cramping either. I called my doctor's after-hours number and she told me to go to the ER, which DH and I did. My bloodwork was "normal" (they didn't tell me my actual numbers for anything), the ultrasound showed that the baby's heartbeat is still holding steady at what it has been and the baby is measuring big (he/she has been the whole time). The ultrasound tech said that my placenta is near my cervix, which can sometimes cause spotting, and I also have a UTI so they're starting my on antibiotics. The ER doctor said to stay off my feet today and rest and to go in to see my regular OB tomorrow. Even by the time I got to the ER last night the spotting had pretty much stopped, I had maybe a tiny bit of pinkish spotting before we left the hospital and have had a little bit of brownish spotting today. I hadn't done anything recently to cause spotting like BD or do something strenuous.

Has anyone else had mild second trimester spotting? I know that it's common in the first trimester but I never did spot, this is only the second time and the first time was after a pelvic exam by my doctor.

Does that mean you have placenta previa? Ty not to worry, I bet it's from your low placenta!

FX for u

I have had some spotting and also have a low placenta that they said probably caused it

I had some spotting at 19 weeks - first time through this pregnancy so it really worried me! It lasted about 8 hours or so and then completely went away. I had called my midwife right away and was told not to panic and that it was likely due to some sort of activity earlier in the day. I also had a bit of burning when I stopped peeing, so wondering if it might have been a mild UTI too. I was told that if the amount of blood increased or continued for a longer period of time to get looked at, but otherwise some small spotting is normal.
Try to relax and take care of yourself and I hope it continues to stay away!

:hugs:
Brown blood means old blood. Maybe the low lying placenta would have caused the bleeding. Most low lying placenta move up as pregnancy advances. Your doctor will follow you up regularly in case it doesn't move up. So, relax and take rest

Its likely from ur placenta position, did they tell you to refrain from sex? (Asking cause this is common for that area of the placenta)...

The ladies are right in that its likely to be from the placenta, uti can also cause spotting even in non pg women

Thanks, ladies! The ER doctor did say no sex at least until I follow up with my OB. The doctor didn't say anything about the placenta, that was the ultrasound tech. The doctor just came in after my ultrasound and said everything looked okay, to refrain from activity (including sex) and to see my OB on Monday.

I had bright red blood in the middle of the night at 13 weeks and they never found the cause, although I also had severe constipation that became abdominal cramping leading up to the bleeding. The ER doctor said the protocol is to monitor it and, if it doesn't continue or start up again, you're fine. They said typically it's one day of red blood, followed by one day of (old, residual) brown blood and one day of nothing, so you're in the clear... They did warn me that I really needed to stay off my feet those first two days and that only 48 hours later should I then walk around more. I had two scans - one when admitted, one when I left - and neither doctor who saw me could find anything wrong. They all said that some bleeding during pregnancy was common, but that under all circumstances if it is bright red (like what I had) that I was to come back in immediately. My midwife thinks it was related to an irritated cervix and (at the time) low-lying placenta.

I had bleeding when wiping at 14 weeks (red/pink), 17 weeks (red/brown) & need pantyliner to soak it up and then a streak of pink at 22 weeks. Heard heartbeat, scans have been fine, no low lying placenta! I think mine is due to an irritated cervix so no hanky panky for us (I'm 25 weeks now). If everything is ok with baby when checked out and bleeding isn't heavy or with cramping I wouldn't worry, it's very common. Just need to watch out if you're rhesus negative blood group as any vaginal bleed you will need the anti d injection.

I have had this 3x, 6,9,&21 weeks. Freaks me out every time but all is okay. Seen the baby with the last bleed. They told me no :sex: for two weeks. The doc said sometimes it just happens. So although it's scary it can happen.

Thanks, ladies! I talked to my OB today, she got the records from my ER visit and didn't seem too concerned. She said no bd until the spotting stops (still having some brownish spotting) and to stay off my feet as much as I can. I go in for a regular appointment on Thurs so I'll talk to her more about it then.

I had some weird spotting around 15 weeks as well. It wasn't heavy heavy but it wasn't light either, and it lasted on and off for about an hour. No cramping, and the dr didn't have a reason as to why it had happened when I went in to see him, but the baby was fine and I haven't had any bleeding since.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->