Stage 2 baby food at 5 months?

SJDsMommy

1 prince and 1 princess<3
Reaction score
Please do not give me the "no solids until 6 months" speech! =)

With that out of the way, for those of you who have started at or around 4 months what is your opinion? please read on before answering =)

My son started baby cereal at 3 months with his dr's approval (honestly I would have given it to him anyway though), rice first then oatmeal, he did so well with it (even after making it thicker) that I actually started him on solids shortly before he turned 4 months. Since day one on solids he has nursed first then he will eat the whole jar with no problem, in about 10 minutes or so, and has never had a problem with any of them, except the meat (I think he just doesnt like the smell, he gags before it's even in his mouth =/ but I don't blame him it smells like cat food!) He gets baby food twice a day, so that's two whole jars a day.

He will be 5 months in a couple days and now after just over a month on stage one foods, he will want to nurse after as well, he is not over weight or anything and he can sit up on his own for decent amount of time (he is a little advanced in physical development).

I don't plan to feed him the whole jar of stage 2 foods at this point as I know its still more important for him to have breast milk as the main source of nutrition but seeing as how he has seemed to have mastered stage one foods already do you think it would be ok to give stage 2 a try?

I'll probably start him out with sweet potatoes, its his favorite, just to get him used to a slightly thicker texture but with a familiar taste.

You will need to watch whats in the stage two jars as they are not ment to have gluten untill 6 months. You can only try and see how he manages with it.

I didnt know that, thanks! we use beech nut baby food and according to their website the majority of their stage 2 foods are gluten free =)

I wouldn't.. I'd stick to purees for now even if their thicker.

Personally, I would try him on 3 meals of stage 1 food before progressing to stage 2 but it really depends on whether you think your LO is ready for food with a lumpier texture. Could you perhaps increase the amount he has at each meal by offering fruit afterwards or by making your own purees?

Jessica is having three meals of veg or fruit puree plus 5 7oz bottles per day. I will probably be looking to start introducing smooth purees including chicken and fish in the next couple of weeks. I don't think she's really ready for stage 2 yet though.

Ide up the amount LO is fed rather than going to stage two, ide hang out until 6 months for stage two.. But that just my opinion..
Do what you feel is best.. You know LO better than any of us.. :)
X

I don't want to feed him more food, at this point, If I do end up feeding him stage 2 foods I plan on feeding him about half the jar at first so he'd getting about the same amount he is right now, I'm just trying to decide if I should let him experiment with stage 2 foods since he seems to have mastered stage one already, just to give him new textures and foods to try, I wouldn't want to force it though, If he ends up not being ready for it we'll just go back to stage one and try again later. Though, thanks to my mother , he has already had mashed potatoes, yogurt, and ice cream..all of which were in small amounts and he kept it down..

You could maybe try a few spoons of stage 2 and then finish off with spoons of stage one? If that makes sense?
X

You could maybe try a few spoons of stage 2 and then finish off with spoons of stage one? If that makes sense?
X

Thats a good idea too..I was just thinking of trying him out with sweet potatoes..since its still a single ingredient food that he already knows and likes.

or maybe I could mix a bit of stage one and two foods into a bowl before moving on to stage 2..stage 1.5? ..haha

Yeah you could do,
Or just bite the bullet and see how you get on! :)

Try something you know he has had before and he likes as you said
X

I started Jessica on stage 2 jars at 6 months because of what was in them. Otherwise I would have started her earlier as we started weaning at 4.5 months. :flower:

i started weaning at 19 weeks... each week added a new meal... so by week 3 he had 3 a day... then increased the amount at each meal. we started on stage to around 25 weeks. he is wonderful with all textures of food and feeds himself too. he'll eat pieces of chicken, pieces of fruit, potoes, veg ect... just cooked nice and soft. he is good at chewing! lol
All you can do is give it a go. if he doesn't like it then stop

i gave my little boy stage 2 at 5 and a half months, and he was fine with it, i just gave him half jar at a time, its your baby, and mummy knows best, xxxx

Well I decided to give it a go, I fed him half a jar of stage 2 Sweet potatoes and chicken, he absolutely loved it! Its been about an hour since I gave it to him and so far so good, I think he liked it better than the stage 1 food, he definitely seemed more excited about it and this way he will actually eat meat now too! Even though I did this earlier than most would, I think it was a good decision for my baby.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->