Stairs (question for those with older toddlers)

We dont have a bannister so cant have a stairgate which is annoying.

River is 18 months and we will let her go upstairs by herself (with us standing at the bottom) but little more cautious about her coming down. She is very good though and always bumps down on her bum.

Earl could probably do it on his own but I will always keep behind him as occassionally he gets a bit cocky and tries to do it without holding on and I have to catch him. Going up he's fine and he often follows me upstairs (we don't have a gate at the bottom) if I nip to the loo or something. Coming down I'll hold one hand and he'll hold onto the banister rods or he'll come down sideways holding onto them. He can come down backwards (I've seen him do it) but I've so far failed to get him to replicate it while I'm there! :dohh:

Maisie is great with stairs and has been going up them confidently for about 4 months. We've took the bottom stairgate off but still have the top one on. I let her walk up the stairs behind me and the same coming back down. x

Lyla can crawl up and comes down backwards, Ive been thinking about removing the bottom stair gate, but keeping top one on. Although saying that she never tries to come down on her own, always stands and waits for me or DH :thumbup:

my boys go up the stairs i like to supervise EJ but hes safe going up Nate comes down by himself and has since he turned 2 but he cant get through the top stairgate only the bottom one lol so im still there to help

I have stairs outside my front door (flat) and LO has never been allowed to go up and down them not for a while yet anyway lol

In my mum's house he will shoot off like a rocket to go upstairs with me running after him to make sure he doesn't fall (he isn't used to stairs) and coming down is me holding both his hands while he bumps down them

He would seriously try to just "fly" down them if I let him attempt it himself :rofl:

I took the gate down a few months ago. Emma goes up and down as she pleases. She usually still backs to come down but can hold the wall and walk down as well. She goes super slow though. She can't reach the handrail yet.

We still have stairgates up, but we figure there's no point in taking them down until our youngest is past needed them. DD can climb up the stairs walking and down them the same way, and she holds onto the banister fine. I keep the stairgates closed, but there has been the odd time i've forgotten and she's gone upstairs on her own and come back down fine. Usually carrying some prize! :lol:

She's 27 months.

Harriet goes up and down by her self, usually im in front of her or waiting at the top/bottom. She does sneak off if she can and i will hear little feet running around upstairs LOL!

Yannis is 2 years and now we do allow him to go alone, stairs are of wood and so I think not so dangerous

kyle has not masterd going down yet, up he can walk up fine but going down he wants to do like mummy and daddy and he cannot grasp that the step just stops lol he is supervised up and down.. When going up we stand behind so if he falls its onto us, and coming down he holds our hand

George has been unsupervised on stairs since about 9 months. We had a bit of a worry about 15months when he started to walk instead of cral down them but he soon learnt that he could hurt himself and we're fine again now. I do have a stair gate at the top as its right by his bedroom door and I don't want him being half asleep in the dark and attempting them. he can open the stairgate if he relly sets his mind to it though!

I've often wondered this, my daughter is 27 months and seems quite confident going up and down.. Thing is we have hard wooden stairs and all it would take is one slip and she could really hurt herself! I also worry my very clumsy dog would knock her flying if he tried to get past her on the stairs!

Hi, Freya is just over 2, and there is no way i would be able to leave her going up and downstairs, she is just not study on her feet, she is very tall for her age and therefore a bit gangly so finds going up/down stairs difficult. Yet a little friend of hers is 4 weeks younger but zips up and downstairs without a care in the world, she is smaller and a lot more nimble. All depends on the child.

We have 2 flights and i wont let Katie walk up/down the 2nd flight, they are too steep, the 1st flight as long as i walk in front of her she is fine.

V xxx

DS is 25 months and he can go up absoultely fine. He can go down fine for the most part but we still supervise him as sometimes he has a wobble if he is not concentrating.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->