Starting a business....

aimee-lou

Totally Outnumbered!!
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I just wanted to get a little bit of advice to see if anyone had done this/had any gems that they wanted to pass on.

First off, my husband and I would like to start our own business/es to reflect our hobbies (usual story...sick of working for 'the man', time on our hands, can see a gap in the market etc). We know it will be a lot of work, especially with the LO on the way very shortly but I can't help but think when else am I going to get the best part of 9 months, PAID time off in which to do this.

The thing is that while I have some of the basic skills (I am already a qualified dog trainer, I have worked in marketing for major tourist attractions, hubby used to be a manager for a major high street chain etc), I still need a few of the basics. I was looking at doing a home study book-keeping course to start me off.....

Can anyone recommend a school/college preferably distance learning?
Has anyone done a course like this? How did you find it?
What did you do with the course afterwards, was it helpful?

When I was at school I had fully intended to become an accountant but then I lost all interest in Maths generally after being pushed really hard by parents and teachers. I still wonder if I should do it so I guess this will be a good tester! I would like to start before bubs gets here or at least get the first bit of it under my belt....How reasonable do you think this is bearing inmind I'm 8 weeks off my EDD?! Wouldn't really start with the business until the New Year, but the courses etc could come in handy from day one.

Thanks everyone! xx

I would not recommend starting up your own business when you will have such a young baby. I just don't see how you could do either 'job' justice. I know lots of people who are self employed and when they started up they were working 7 days a week, flat out, to get things established.
Having a young baby and starting a business are both extremely stressful things in themselves, do you really want to do them both at once?
Do you and / or your husband both have jobs currently? In this economic climate I think leaving a job is usually unadvisable.

You will need your maternity leave to look after your LO, ok so my 4 month old sleeps about 3 hours during the day but I could never rely on that enough to take on commitments during that time.
By all means follow your dreams though! I would start researching your options now but leave putting anything concrete into place until you've had your LO.
I do not mean to be negative, just realistic. Maybe others will give you some different perspectives and advice but that's just mine. :)

The open university have a short intro to bookkeeping certificate

Me and OH have our own plumbing business which we've been running for 5 years. I do all the paperwork and only have a tiny bit of formal accountancy training. I enrolled at a local tech college to do the AAT course in accounting. Did the intermediate level which was really easy and told me everything I needed to know. The difficult thing is having the discipline at home to be able to sit down and dedicate the time to working.

Taking this route and deciding to work for ourselves was the best thing we ever did. We can go on holiday when we want and be our own boss... Only thing is I don't see much of OH as he is always working! When you work for yourself you become a bit of a work addict as every penny earned is for you so you have that bit more drive IYKWIM!!

Good luck whatever you choose to do. I'll dig out some of the titles of books that I've found useful. It has been hard doing all the paperwork with a baby around, but if you have the energy and the willpower it can be done. Also having a supportive family around you who are willing to babysit is a blessing.

open uni is great and you may qualify for funding also learn direct is a good one too, good luck and go for it. it's never the 'right' time, we are all guilty of putting things off 'for another day' seize the moment and go for it. Good on you and ur OH I hope all works out and good luck with the little one too. Think how proud he or she will be when they are older and have a good quality of life because of how hard you both worked to give him / her that future.
xxx

I also want to start my own business while i've got the time(maternity leave !) But my hubby has his own business and my only worry is that we already struggle a bit when he's not that busy,but at least i earn a good wage at the moment.
So i guess i can see where mum2b_claire is coming from, because the only thing really stopping me ,is thinking about what would happen if both of us had our own businesses that weren't busy ??? .....and we haven't been able to go on holiday recently because he can't afford to not work for a week.
Not wanting to talk you out of it, just something to think about !!!!
Good luck

Thanks for the replies ladies,

To answer a couple of your questions my hubby, who currently works full time, is due to go to University in September next year (2010) for 3 years and he will get full funding. I am planning on going back to work of some description in order to keep us in the black but it just seems like too good an opportunity to miss.

I have found a good book-keeping course. Currently I plan that I will sign up for this on January 1st (giving me 2 months until after christmas to get to grips with everything and just enjoy being Mummy!). It's supposed to take 4 months with 6 hours a week of study, so by the end of April I will be up to speed. :thumbup: I'm due back to 'work' in May 2010 so we will have to see what happens and if I can get a job etc.

I will admit that I'm a terror for getting carried away with things but the way I see it, if I don't try it now, then I will potentially never get this chance again!

Thanks for the balanced responses girls, and the tip-offs for courses.

I was thinking of doing a book-keeping course too. Can I ask what course you decided on?

I can see pros and cons to the plan - but Open Uni all the way. I could go on for weeks about why ;)

The one I've chosen is Stonebridge college.....I would do the OU but I have 2 reasons.

1. Cost....I know that it's a qual and therefore I should go for the school that has the reputation but I can't afford it....nuff said! lol
2. My Mum has done 2 courses with them (Indian Head Massage and Teaching Certificate) and she has said nothing but good things about them.

I just think....why not?! plus if nothing else it will get the old brain back into gear after nearly a year off (can't believe I've been off for 4 months today!!) ready for getting back to the real world lol.

Thanks ladies xx

*nod*

Worth checking out the OU though... I got half my degree paid for.
There's a lot of things which make them easier once you're started too.
Just running out to the MW, but if you want a yap about it just shout :)

I would say to go to the book - keeping at Business Gateway...it's one class and you get book-keeping software for free so you can do it all on the laptop. Unless you really need the qualification I wouldn't bother wasting months and months going to this course as you could be concentrating more on your business plan. Books are really easy to keep once it's explained - plus your accountant will be able to keep you right when it comes to a couple of months from your Tax return. Also depends if your starting off initially as self-employed or as a limited company. Limited company is waaaaay much more hassle if your not in a field which is easily established.

Good luck - pm if you need any help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->