Starting Cereal?? added

L

Leah_xx

When did you start your baby on cereal?
When is the best time to start Gracelynn on cereal??
Please I am looking for advice.
I know 3 1/2 months is deff to young

I am asked you guys a simple question .Thats what 2 doctors told me to do was put cereal in her bottle. I didnt see any harm seemings they were doctors and seemings that have liscense i listened to them, I am a new mom i didnt know what to do. Was i not supposed to do what the doctors told me to do and let my daughter continue to throw up? be hungry cause she was spitting up all the time?
But the cereal was STOPPED!!! at 1.5 months old, and hasnt had it since them, i read the things it can do and it wasnt helping her thats why i stopped it.
So please ladies i came to ask adivce about this, and because my daughter has issues with her stomach like i do already.
She gets gas bubbles all the time .

I would ask your doctor. Some babies start at 4 months, but thats usually babies who seem like they are eating ALL the time. Its probably best to wait until 5-6 months, rice is known to constipate and constipated babies are NO fun.

Her 4 month check up is soon, yeah? I would ask then.

I started Kenneth on rice cereal when he was four months, but not every day, I'd give it to him like once every couple of days. My pediatrician wasn't too happy about starting because she said it was unnecessary until six months, but since I had already started to keep it up. When he was six months I started giving him solids a lot more frequently though :flower:

Yeah her 4 month appt is Feb 10th I will ask them, because no joke Gracelynn eats ALOT!!
I mean it can vary every day, she eats anywhere from 40oz+
Yeah i dont want to have to deal with a constipated baby yet again like i did for 2 weeks cause the crazy doctor i had to take gracelynn to since her's was out of town but her on diareahha(SP?) formula because she thought she was sick
but turns out she was not able to have that kind of formula but needed to be on soy.

Yeah her 4 month appt is Feb 10th I will ask them, because no joke Gracelynn eats ALOT!!
Yeah i dont want to have to deal with a constipated baby yet again like i did for 2 weeks cause the crazy doctor i had to take gracelynn to since her's was out of town but her on diareahha(SP?) formula because she thought she was sick
but turns out she was not able to have that kind of formula but needed to be on soy.

Yeah, I felt like Kenneth needed baby rice at the time. He was eating A LOT as well, the baby rice helped I would do it like once every so often, but everyday we gave rice he wouldn't need as many feeds! :flower:

Ava has had 45-54oz a day for about 3 weeks now, it's fine, it doesn't mean you have to wean her.
Ava is 5 months tomorrow and we started weaning her. Only a spoonfull of rice once a day, and she's taken to it well.
I'd say 3.5 months is too early, early weaning isn't reccomended, especailly before 4 months at the very earliest.
I think if she already has a sensative tummy then you would need to talk to your doctor.

i would hold of as closer to 6 months as you can. if you do give her baby rice and she seems to be drinking less milk i would stop because milk is much more important. alice first tried it at 5 months but she wasnt ready so i waited. she wasnt weaned untill about 7 months but thats because shes so little so its diff for everyone

5.5/6 months for both of my babies....early weaning just isn't necessary :nope:

I just want to say, please don't anyone give her grief, or anyone else, for looking to offer solids around 4 months. That is the very accepted guideline in the US, nearly any doctor would suggest it. I know it's different in th UK but no need to make US girls feel poorly. :flower:

Um, Leah, you posted on Desi's thread saying she had already started cereal, from birth. :shock:

She had it in her bottles like a pinch of it. I stopped giving it to her when she was like a month and a half old because it wasnt doing anything for her, wasnt helping the reflux. and i wasnt putting it in her bottles all the time.
I stopped giving it to her then, and i was asking whenn to really start her on the cereal

It actually is quite normal in the US for doctors to suggest putting a bit of rice in the milk to thicken it for reflux, they usually try that first then go on to meds.

Our baby rice might be different then yours too? Its not thick like porridge or anything, it just makes the milk a bit less watery so the baby can keep it down better.

I didn't mean to offend, I only questioned it as you said in another thread that you had already started her on it.
We can't give you advice fully if we don't know the full story.
If she already has issues with her stomach then talk to your doctor. Every baby is different and you will not always agree with what other have to say.

I didn't mean to offend, I only questioned it as you said in another thread that you had already started her on it.
If she already has issues with her stomach then talk to your doctor. Every baby is different and you will not always agree with what other have to say.

I did talk to her doctor, she thinks now it was her formula all along,
where the other one is just a complete bozo

No, I meant to talk to them about when the right time is to start her on cereal.

No, I meant to talk to them about when the right time is to start her on cereal.

OHHH
My bad Hun, sorry about them, im fighting the flu right now so i have meds in my system making me drowsy

I may sound crazy here, but the boys I babysat for were still taking a bottle or 2 per day when they were like. 2.
Theyvate other stuff too.
But they were still taking formula as well.
All these cereal posts are confusing me lol

You can also explore baby-led weaning if you are interested. The answer to your question would then be, "whenever you feel like handing him a bowl of cheerios soaked in milk!" :) I originally started with traditional weaning (at 4.5 months for reflux/banana + rice, then 6 months traditional weaning with jars, then baby led weaning at 7 months). It is a lot of fun and to be honest, a lot easier than jars! If you are interested come check out the weaning forum

Leah, did you see my posts about gelmix? If the rice is for her spitting up, you should try it. You can get 3 free samples on their website, and its extremely helpful. A months supply is $25.

www.gelmix.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"