Starting IVF in Dec/Jan/Feb on NHS (UK)?

hippiehappy

Yuri's mamma
Reaction score
Donnas2012 PUPO with twins as of Sunday 29/01/12, 2WW, OTD Thursday 9/02/12 bfn:cry::hugs:

Traskey PUPO with twins as of Tuesday 31/01/12, 2WW, OTD Saturday 11/02/12 :bfp::happydance:

Sambatiki PUPO with twins as of Monday 30/01/12, 2WW, OTD Sunday 12/02/12 :bfp::happydance:

Hippiehappy PUPO with twins as of Monday 6/02/13, 2WW, OTD Thursday 23/02/12 bfn :cry:.

Sophiebee PUPO with one as of Wednesday 8/02/12, OTD Wednesday 22/02/12 bfn :cry: :hugs:.

PGlady PUPO with one beanie as of Wednesday 15/02/12, OTD Friday 24/02/12 bfn :cry: :hugs:.

Mazak stimming scan Saturday 4/02/12, EC Thursday 9/02/12.

Kazzab25 EC 15/02/12, PUPO with twins as of Saturday 18/02/12.

Wallie PUPO since Friday 24/02/12, OTD 12/03/12.

Please EC Wednesday 22/02/12 ET Monday 27/02/12.

Boofle EC Tuesday 21/02/12, ET Sunday 26/02/12.

KittyCat82 currently DR, scan Monday 13/02/12, stimming start date TBC.

Wanabeamama laparoptomy Friday 27/01/12, started IVF 3/09/12, ET 3/10/12.

:dust::dust::dust::dust::dust::dust:
**********~~~~^~~~~***********

Hello all,
I have been lurking and posting for a while, things have moved very very slowly for us, being in the UK and having to rely on the NHS, which though is a godsend, is by no means a quick solution...

About me: I'm 32 next week, hubby is 28 with azoospermia. TTC for about 4 years, was told there was nothing wrong with me until July when I had my pre-IVF scan. They found 'something' on it, was referred (in September- told you they're slow!) for a lap and found I had hydrosalpinx so both tubes have now been disconnected (or 'separated' as they say it). I would have taken this a heck of a lot worse if I hadn't already been down for ICSI due to OH's azoo!!! As it happens it didn't make that massive difference, it was gonna be IVF anyway and finding and getting rid of the hydrosalpinx has doubled our chances so yay! :happydance:

Anyway, I had the lap just over a week ago and after this I was told to ring in on CD1 which was after a few days as they'd given me Norethisterone before the lap. I am down for IVF at St Mary's in Manchester and unfortunately they close the labs over Xmas so they have a 'no referrals' period for long protocols between the end of October and the end of November, which of course I fell into. Not too bad though, after spending years and years waiting to see consultants I can live with that. Also at least this way, when I finally get to need the labs, they will be very clean!
It looks like I will be starting on long protocol in December, so if anyone else is waiting to start then, do you want to buddy up?
Hope to hear from you soon.:flower:

Wow it sounds like you have had a tough time :hugs: :hugs: im due to have my second lap in January and they want to plan the ivf right after so buddy no1 here I am lol
How are you feeling after your lap? After my first one I had a really tough time and it took me a while to get on my feet I also got an infection in one of my scars :( so really scared and not looking forward to my next one the doc told me there is more chance of my needing a laperotomy this time too :'( so I guess they can't give me a date for the ivf until they see how surgery whent but I'm hoping it will be ASAP :)

Hello and thanks for being my 1st buddy!
I felt strangely ok after the lap. The only really bad pain was in my shoulder! Apparently it's quite common that some of the air that they pump into you can travel up the nerve and set into your shoulder??? Weird. It only lasted 24 hours but was agonising. After that went, I was 100% fine & didn't even use my sick note for work.
Sorry to hear you had such a bad time & the prospect of having to have another must be awful for you. Having said that, now hopefully the docs know what your potential reaction is like they are probably more likely to be able to prevent you getting poorly again. Lots of love & good luck, let me know how it goes.
In a way it's good that Xmas is in the way, it will be something else to think about & the new year will be here in no time xx :thumbup:

Wow that was lucky I was black and blue and was swolen from a size 8 I had to get oh to go buy me some size 14 PJ's I couldn't get clothes on for 9days ionly booked myself out of work for 6days but I just couldn't do anything they are going to keep me in for a few more days this time,
So do you have a date for the ivf yet?

Hi, no date yet, will have to ring on CD1 which I expect will be around the 9/10 Dec and start down regging probably between Xmas and New Year's! Good job I'm not a fan of New Year's Eve as there will be no drinking for me this year. I hear the drugs are bad enough, ugh!
With regards to my lap, maybe I was lucky, maybe it depends on the surgeon. It's annoying that everything to do with fertility treatment has to be such a lottery! :nope:
Good luck with your pre-op, will keep everything crossed for you. Being treated in a brand new unit sounds promising too :thumbup:X

Thanks I had alot done I had a 12cm ovarian cyst and lots of endo removed it took almost 3hrs I was filled with a fluid as well as the gass but yeah it really does suck :(
Well at least you can start the new year with lots if hope and alot to look forward to :hugs: :hugs:

Hello, been chatting with hippie, hope you don't mind me stalking you and joining this thread?

For wanabe, here's a bit about me: 35, untreated bilateral hydros after emergency bowel surgeries a couple of years ago, DH 33 and fine. This will be my first time, starting long protocol - will call in on around 12th Dec, so by my calculations that's needles on Jan 1st!

BTW laparotomy will take longer to recover from but isn't really that bad (home in a week), my first I had an infected wound but the second was fine, so try not to worry about that :hugs: Do whatever you need to do to be in tip top form

Hiya :hi: wow sounds like you had a tough time to :hugs:
So I need to ask a dumb question but what is long/short protocol? I'm very new to all of this :/ so we will all be quite close really :hugs:

Hey PGLady welcome and thanks so much for joining, glad to have another buddy! :thumbup:

Wanabeamama, long & short protocol are 2 different ways of doing IVF. With the long protocol they give you some drugs to down regulate which basically shuts your cycle down, then you get drugs to start stimming which causes an enhanced ovulation. I don't know the ins & outs of the short protocol other than you don't DR. I'm quite glad to learn it's not just me who doesn't get told much before the very last minute, seems to be a bit of a theme with NHS treatment! Looking at US & Canadian users' posts they seem to be told a heck of a lot more and even get a choice of what treatment to go for. Well I guess comes with paying for it. That's the only big gripe I have about NHS fertility treatment, other than the ABSURD waiting times for anything. They just don't tell you anything till the very last minute, grr. I'm very thankful for forums like this, makes you feel a little less alone and in the dark xx
:hugs:

Well he did say he would need to stop my period from when I have my lap to give me time to recover but he can't really plan the next stage until he's done the surgery.

It's so good to have peole to share the experience with although it's a tough journey that I wouldn't wish on anybody I hope we all get our happy ending :hugs: :hugs:

I had to have mine stopped when I had the lap but they gave me Norethisterone, which is not quite the same as DR'ing. Had to take it as I was due on the day before the lap & the surgeon wanted to have a clear view. The good news is that once you stop taking it you come on after a few days so if you're not too ill from the lap you might be able to ring up then to start DR'ing that month :thumbup:
It might happen sooner than you think, good luck x

Hope so because every period I gave will lessen my chances after my last lap within 3periods my cyst had already grown to 3cm and had alot of endo pain so the sooner the better
How good would it be if we all had it in the same month :happydance:

Hiya :hi: wow sounds like you had a tough time to :hugs:
So I need to ask a dumb question but what is long/short protocol? I'm very new to all of this :/ so we will all be quite close really :hugs:

:hi: again, I agree with what hippie said about the short and long protocols. I think they often use the short protocol for older or poor responders, and sometimes for those with cysts (less stress for the ovaries?). From what my nurse told me when we discussed this (I'm on the borderline with my AMH and FSH levels), the short protocol is shorter :)dohh: faster time to transfer, yay!) but one fewer egg, though that shouldn't affect the decision as it's the quality that's important (you only need one). I had no idea what to choose so I'm going with their recommendation. Sorry if I missed it, when's your lap due?

It's beginning of jan I have my pre op assessment on the 15th December my twin sister keeps asking about planning our 30th birthday it's in march and I just don't want to plan anything I just keep thinking I just don't know what will be happening at that time :(

It's beginning of jan I have my pre op assessment on the 15th December my twin sister keeps asking about planning our 30th birthday it's in march and I just don't want to plan anything I just keep thinking I just don't know what will be happening at that time :(

I know what you mean. My (youger) sister's baby (her 2nd) is due on Jan 20th, which might be around the time that I will be due to go into hospital for the transfer or exctraction. She lives abroad so I can't plan a visit as I doubt they advise you to fly during treatment due to risk of blood clots etc.
Does your sister know what you're going through? I guess if she does, maybe if you speak to her she will be supportive and understand. It's hard though, I'm very reluctant to tell people. Even my hubby's family have no idea x

She knows about my lap but we decided not to tell ANYONE about the ivf we just don't want the extra stress or questions from family and friends OH's cousin and wife had ivf a couple of years ago and they told everyone every detail she even rang ne when having her eggs retrieved and told me her test date there ivf was unsuccessfull but they have adopted 18months ago but she told me it didn't work because of stress but at the time I said to myself I will not tell a sole I just don't want the hasstle of telling people it didn't work :(x
I have tried to make hints like on our 21st she was pregnant so we didn't have a party and she said recently oh we should have a party cos I couldn't drink on our 21st so I said well I'm hoping that I can't drink on our 30th but I don't think she got it :(

I can understand that, might start giving that excuse if people ask me questions about when I'm due to start IVF and so on. At the moment I just keep it as vague as possible, just telling people there's a lot of waiting to do and I can't plan anything in advance!
If your sister is pushy about the party it might be worth telling her to go ahead and organise her own and you might tag along if you can?
It's a bit of a no win situation I guess, if you are pregnant by the time your birthday comes round you won't be able to drink & might feel too tired or sick to party. On the other hand if you're not pregnant, you might not be in a mood for a party with a lot of people?
I've decided that I won't book a flight to see my sister's baby till the last minute. If treatment doesn't work I don't think I'll want to be around her just having had a baby, it wouldn't feel right. Might sound selfish but quite frankly, tough.
What we're going through is a heck of a lot of shit, people can't even begin to imagine how hard this can be on a mental level and if they want to judge so be it, but if I were you I'd think about my own well-being an that includes your mental health, whatever it is others might feel about it.
Let's hope you'll be able to celebrate your 30th with a mini bump and a sick bucket in front of you instead of a pint!
My birthday is this Sunday by the way xx

Awww thankyou I would feel exactly the same as you about seeing a new baby it is harder than anyone could ever imagine even on our men too my oh is finding it very hard and he is the strongest man I have ever known if you don't feel up to going then don't :hugs:
Yey what are you doing for your birthday? :happydance:
It so good to talk to people that understand :hugs: :hugs:x

Awww thankyou I would feel exactly the same as you about seeing a new baby it is harder than anyone could ever imagine even on our men too my oh is finding it very hard and he is the strongest man I have ever known if you don't feel up to going then don't :hugs:
Yey what are you doing for your birthday? :happydance:
It so good to talk to people that understand :hugs: :hugs:x

I'm goin to Wales with a friend! Not that excitig for most people but I've not been since I was 15, so should be fun. Hope the weather will be ok.
Re: babies yep, I agree. I think that's what nearly pushed me over the edge jut over a year ago. Every fucker (pardon my French!) around me having babies! But now I've got some perspective, especially regarding my sister, she might be havin her 2nd but she had a really rubbish time with her OH whom she categorically will never marry, she lives in rented accommodation & has no job. Maybe she'll have a great time bein a mum in the next 15 years but once her kids become more independent & fly the nest then what? Not much else there. Of course I hope for her sake she sorts it out but just goes to show that life is not all about children x

So true life is not all about children oh and I have been together for 10years next and he was a very close friend for 10years before that we have done so much together and we have enjoyed every second of it but we just feel there is something missing from our lives now and OH is 42 I am 30 in march we just want to be able to still enjoy our lives but with children :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->