Starting to combo feed older baby

IchigoMewMew

Me, DH and DD
Reaction score
Hi ladies, not sure if this is the right area really but DD is exclusively breastfed and has been eating solids for the last 3 weeks or so. I'm thinking ahead a bit but there's no way I'll be able to pump more than 4oz a day when I go back to work and she'll still only be about 10 months old then. I'm guessing I'll need to give her formula during the day but I'm a ftm so that's completely unknown territory for me! Does anyone have any combo feeding tips at an older age, will I need to do anything to keep my supply up or will I still produce at the right time if I'm just feeding as part of the bedtine routine? Thanks :)

Can't you pump at work? You *might* be able to keep your supply going to just feed at night but you might not as well.
Combo feeding is pretty easy, just give baby a bottle of formula when you can't breastfeed. Try 4oz-6oz at first as formula is more filling than breast milk. Ask your caregiver to try not to feed baby within an hour or two of when you expect to be home

It's really hard to predict as some 10month old children have already dropped a lot of day-time feeds and eat lots of solids and some are still quite dependant on their milk. Are you going to be able to do a wake-up feed in the morning too. Quite often babes miss their mum so much they increase night feeding to get some of that close time together - so that help with supply but it can be tiring for a few weeks till they adjust. I went back to work when my LO was a year and I didn't pump, BUT I was doing morning feed, pick-up-time feed and bedtime feed, plus all feeds at night and weekend.

Ah ok maybe I should just see how she goes. She is eating quite well already but hasn't dropped any feeds yet but they can be very short during the day sometimes! My Mum said me and my brother had both completely weaned ourselves by the age she'll be when I go back to work!

Supply generally adjusts to be produced at the times you need it. Is v clever!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->