Stay at home job options?

Great idea ladies. This is my first year staying home and I need to make some income now as hubbies hours have been cut. I will look into these websites for sure.

Does it cost money to sell on etsy? Or how does that work?

Great idea ladies. This is my first year staying home and I need to make some income now as hubbies hours have been cut. I will look into these websites for sure.

Does it cost money to sell on etsy? Or how does that work?

It does cost a small fee to list your items (20 cents, U.S., I believe). But after that listing fee, there are no other costs associated with your shop unless you choose to advertise. I typically just add the 20 cent fee into my shipping cost. If you ever want to go this route, feel free to contact me with questions!

If you don't advertise, how do people see your stuff? By searching?

If you don't advertise, how do people see your stuff? By searching?

Yes, your items will pop up in searches based on the tags you give them. Being specific in your listing title also helps items pop up in searches. Personally, every other month, I typically spend about $10-15 in advertising, which puts your listings in more visible places, and see if does anything that month. It's also important to share listings/your shop on social media to attract potential buyers.

My daughters are 4 and a 2 1/2, and I work full time, but I am never without my youngest, and my 4 year old is away only for preschool.

I have done a number of things since having them- watching kids in their home or mine, baked soft pretzels and sold them at a farmer's market (and made a surprising amount of money) and now I work at a fitness center that has a drop off multiage nursery (I bring my girls with me), and then I work at a preschool in the afternoon (in my younger daughter's class).
I'm going to tell the director there soon that I'd like a part time job in in the infant room as soon as one becomes available so that when the baby is born, I can be in that room.

I know that my situation might be really specific, but except for 1 1/2 years out of the 4 1/2 that I've had kids, I have been working and my girls have never been in daycare, had a babysitter, etc. I have just been determined to make it work! Applied to a lot of jobs over the years, turned down many, and in the end it has always worked out okay!

I have thought about farmers market! But where did you bake the pretzels? Here, any food item sold must be baked in a commercial kitchen.

Love the idea of working in a perk with my dd. that's a great idea!

My husband works in television and they always need good transcriptionists. My BFF did it for a few years while her kids were little.
If you type fast and come in ahead of deadline you will usually get a lot of work.
It is great, legit, stay at home wodk. The problem is it isn't totally 100% steady and reliable. Some weeks nobody will have anything for you and if you are good it will still take a little while for you to get established (they will only give you a few to do at first).
It is perfect when combined with something else like babysitting or something similar.

how would you get started in doing it? is there an official website to check out the options and steps to get started?

I have thought about farmers market! But where did you bake the pretzels? Here, any food item sold must be baked in a commercial kitchen.

Love the idea of working in a perk with my dd. that's a great idea!

Here in Vt, you can bake it in your home. However, if you make above a certain amount, you do need an inspection/ your water tested. Because I only did it in the summers, I never made THAT much (but I did profit around $100 per market). My sister looked into doing something similar in PA, and she needed a more commercial kitchen for their state standards. She was going to use my parents' church kitchen, but never got around to getting everything organied.

I think it's a little early to start looking into it for this upcoming summer, meaning I dont think you would need that much time, but if you started looking into it, it might be easier/simpler than you would think!

Thanks! The farmers market here is year round, so not sure if it would be better to start now or after lo is born and a few months. Fall is the busiest here because it is soooo hot in the summer

My husband works in television and they always need good transcriptionists. My BFF did it for a few years while her kids were little.
If you type fast and come in ahead of deadline you will usually get a lot of work.
It is great, legit, stay at home wodk. The problem is it isn't totally 100% steady and reliable. Some weeks nobody will have anything for you and if you are good it will still take a little while for you to get established (they will only give you a few to do at first).
It is perfect when combined with something else like babysitting or something similar.

how would you get started in doing it? is there an official website to check out the options and steps to get started?

I don't think so but a good first step is to take a typing test online if you don't already know how fast you type. I can ask my husband for more details but if you type fast and a really interested you can PM me and I can get your info to the right people.

I work from home doing a variety of things.

I do bookkeeping as I have accountancy qualifications so it was a natural thing for me to do.

I am just about to start some admin work for a friends business.

Lastly I run an ebay business. I started a few months ago and I'm gradually building it up reinvesting the profit I make. I find it quite easy. I do photos and listing at night and in the day when DS is awake I only have to check emails and post out parcels once a day. The hardest part was finding something to buy and sell that there wasn't a million other people selling. It's going ok but I'm not expecting a full time wage out of it as I don't want to make it that big. Obviously there are other platforms to sell on like amazon, etsy, folksy, not on the high street etc. xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->