Steam Steriliser

angellica

Mum of 4
Reaction score
I know it's a little OT (not much though) I have a steam steriliser that I bought about 10 years ago for my first. It's been in storage and I got it out to see if it was still usable. It does seem to be, but it is full of limescale. Any ideas on how I can get rid of it. I have tried the 'Steam Sterliser Descaler' that I bought, and even after 3 attempts, I'm still getting scale out.

I'm planning on BFing for a while anyway so it's not urgent.

TIA
Karen

They do advise not to use descaler in sterilisers but they do say you should use vinegar or citric acid which can be bought from the chemist. x

If the descaler doesn't work, maybe vinegar? Or cillit bang (lol)?

They do advise not to use descaler in sterilisers but they do say you should use vinegar or citric acid which can be bought from the chemist. x

The stuff I bought is citric acid. There is a lot of grey gunk coming out :(

Can't do much more than that then hon, maybe just keep going or give the vinegar a wirl. x

I used the citric acid that came with my Avent steriliser. Try and leave it in there over-night at least and keep doing it. It will come out eventually!

I don't know - but you've got me thinking now. My sister gave me her steriliser that she used for both her babies - they are now 7 and 3. Should I descale it first? I was just gonna give it a couple of empty runs. What do you think?

To save on later effort, would it be worth those ladies in hard water areas filtering the water first? When I lived in the NE where there is hard water (at least there is compared to where I live now, the softest water in the world!) I filtered the water for everything so that the kettle and iron and things didn't get furred up.

Def descale it. Especially if it hasn't been used for a while. I used to descale mine every week to keep in working well and it's still going strong almost 9 years and 5 babies later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->