steralizing!

excited becky

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

This may seem like a silly question but had to ask!:blush:

After sterilizing all babys things when they are here how long after sterilizing are bottles etc ok for? Can they be sterilized then put away untill they are needed? Or must they be sterilized again before use?

Any advice will be very welcome!

xx

good question!! i would like to know this too.... :)

they remain sterile in the unit for upto 8-12hrs UNLESS it is opened, then it is 4-6hrs, but if your making bottles up they will go in fridge when made. bottles shouldnt be kept for more tha 6hrs (i think new "rules" say anway).

Or..... my Advent IQ 24 keeps sterile for 24 hours, so long as the lid is not removed. as soon as the lids off, thats it!

You should have a look on the Formula Feeding section as there are lots of posts about this kind of thing.

I found it really interesting how much the 'rules' have changed since I had my dd 4 1/2 years ago.

I will still be keeping feeds in the fridge for 24 hours, rather than this new rule of sterilizing and preparing a bottle just before every feed.
It's ridiculous, I would never be out the kitchen!

My MW has said that they keep sterile in the unit for 3hours, but u can put them together, put the lids on and they stay sterile for 24hours.
Ur also now not allowed to make the feeds up and put them in the fridge, u have to make them with fresh boiled water (cooled for 30mins) add the powder to the hot water, then cool in a jug of cold water. U make them as u need them. The main thing is to add the powder to hot water!!

Well I'm definately gonna be keeping feeds in the fridge. With two babies to look after, I'm certainly not gonna have the time to make them on demand, allow time for them to cool etc. Personally I think all these new guidelines that come into force just go too far sometimes. As much as I realise times have changed, I'm still taking loads of advice from my mum and the way she used to do things - it certainly never did me or my brother any harm

Depends on the steriliser.

Electric, steam, microwave I've been told all keep things sterile for 8-12 hours (except the Avent 24 that SB22 mentioned).

Cold water steriliser will keep in the same water for 24 hours (I'm going to do this!)

Mothercare do 'steriliser bottles' that can be sterilised individually in the microwave. They will go in the water too but very handy for while we're away or in the hospital me-thinks. 3 cost £9.99 so the same as normal wide neck bottles.

Im hoping to bf but the sterilser Ibought I think is 6-8 hours, ive also got a small microwave steriliser with my breast pump which I could always use to sterilise a bottle if need be. I guess will use them more when I express. :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->