Sterilising abroad?

Discussion in 'Baby Club' started by Hannahk, Jun 3, 2011.

1. Hannahk

Hannahk Well-Known Member

Hi! Wondered if anyone could help? We go to menorca on monday and I'm confused over sterilising. What water would you use? I've got a travel steriliser and Milton tablets, but would you use the local tap water or bottled? I was unsure if the tablets would sterilise the water too?

2. KatelynsMummy

KatelynsMummy Mummy to Katelyn!

I would use bottled, just in case :flower:

3. stephwiggy

stephwiggy Well-Known Member

Some types if bottled water are not recommend , give the formula company a call, you will find the number on the packet. Hope 5hat helps.

4. ke29

ke29 Well-Known Member

use spring water not mineral

5. XfairyhopesX

XfairyhopesX Mummy to my Pixxie & WTT

6. Celtic Dragon

Celtic Dragon Well-Known Member

Do you mean for sterilising the bottles or for making up the formula?

I would have thought (but haven't researched this, so I don't know for certain...) Milton would be fine for tapwater or bottled, but I think you need to be careful about what water you use for making up the formula - some bottled water has too much salt in it I think.

7. Hannahk

Hannahk Well-Known Member

Yeah I meant for sterilising. I assumed the Milton would sterilise, and would then rinse in boiled tap water, but so confused! I would buy bottled to make up the feeds, and think you have to look for salt content below 20mg per litre I think it was.

8. ke29

ke29 Well-Known Member

You dont need to rinse after using milton. I will be sterilising with bottled water and microwave bags.

9. Kitten-B

Kitten-B Mum of 2 gorgeous boys :)

We're going to Menorca next Friday :)

I bought the single use sterilising bags to save space. Each sachet just has a bag and a sterilising tablet and it says on it fine to use with foreign water. I assume the sterilising tablet sorts out any issues that there would be with drinking it?

I wouldn't rinse after sterilising though - would assume it would undo the sterilising.

10. Seity

Seity Mom to Gabriel and Samuel

Makes me glad I don't believe in sterilizing. I simply use soap and hot water whenever I travel.

11. brownlieB

brownlieB Mummy of 1

We got back from costa del sol last week and we used the tap water to sterilize, And to start with we used bottled water for the formula, then we checked if the water was ok and it was so we used the tap water for bottles and she was fine xx

12. emsiee

emsiee Mum of 2

We go to Majorca in 4 weeks and Ive bought Milton tablets, I also plan to buy bottled water to boil, wash the bottles in, and to mix with formula. :flower:

13. kerrie24

kerrie24 me,him and 3 lo's

How old is your baby?
    If the baby is over 6 months you dont need to sterilize,but I would use tap water with the milton tablets in as they kill all germs,then bottled water to make up the milk,boiled.