sterilising ?

cissyhope

Pregnant with no 2
Reaction score
When can you stop sterilising Bottles? My LO is 13 months old now but i thought you carried on sterilising when using milk but not sure where i got that from? Thoughts please :flower:

Keep sterilising until you stop using them love - especially if you are still using formula because it can contain nasty bacteria that can make LO extremely poorly in rare cases - and this bacteria can build up in the teats and rings xx

our pediatrician told us we can stop sterilizing at 6 months and just use hot soapy water. we stopped at 6 month with my oldest and never had a problem.

our pediatrician told us we can stop sterilizing at 6 months and just use hot soapy water. we stopped at 6 month with my oldest and never had a problem.

If you want to know why you should keep sterilising, google Enterobacter Sakazakii. It's extremely rare but enough of a risk to make me continue sterilising.

At the end of the day sterilising is just popping the bottles in a machine and pushing a button - easy peasy!

Keep sterilising until you stop using them love - especially if you are still using formula because it can contain nasty bacteria that can make LO extremely poorly in rare cases - and this bacteria can build up in the teats and rings xx

Thank you. We are only using cows milk? I thought you carried on as long as you use milk but my OH thinks im silly and that i don't sterilise his plates etc but it is different with milk isnt it? x

If you want to know why you should keep sterilising, google Enterobacter Sakazakii. It's extremely rare but enough of a risk to make me continue sterilising.

At the end of the day sterilising is just popping the bottles in a machine and pushing a button - easy peasy!

thanks but i trust my pediatrician. she is one of the top peds in canada. ive never had a problem. at 6 months she was putting everything in her mouth anywas.

In UK its advised to sterilise bottles till one year old. But other things like plates and cups you only need to sterilise until 6 months as they don't harbour bacteria the same way milk bottles can. I think it varies depending on different countries' policies but I believe UK follow WHO on this one.

I'll probably just keep sterilising till I stop using bottles as its not really a pain to pop them in the steriliser. I still sterilise bowls and dummies as I'm running the steriliser for bottles anyway and as she likes to lick the floor etc I figure it balances out lol! It's recommended to get baby off bottles and into milk from a cup at one anyway so doesn't make a massive difference.

i heard it was a year for bottles. but then as the above person said, they put a lot in the mouth at 6 months. u dont need to sterilise feeding equipment after 6 months tho.

thanks but i trust my pediatrician. she is one of the top peds in canada. ive never had a problem. at 6 months she was putting everything in her mouth anywas.

I understand you trust your doctor, but there are a lot of health professionals who seem unaware of this potentially life threatening bacteria. It can cause infant septicemia and meningitis. Although there have only been 40-50 recorded cases in the last 40yrs, 40% of those were fatal and many more were severely disabled.

The consequences are a million times worse than what they might catch from picking something up off the floor and putting it into their mouth.

In a similar thread one lady posted that when she was in hospital having her baby there was a couple who were there with their 7 month old who died because of bacteria in formula - and they didn't sterilise.

I've been accused of scare mongering before but it's something I'm passionate about because it's so easy to think "oh well my baby was ok" but what if it was your baby that got ill?

Sterilising is such an easy thing to do and I don't understand why people feel like it's such a chore.

As long as Louis has a bottle for milk, I'll continue sterilising x

Thank you. We are only using cows milk? I thought you carried on as long as you use milk but my OH thinks im silly and that i don't sterilise his plates etc but it is different with milk isnt it? x

I think it's more important with formula milk, but for me I would probably continue out of habit when we swap to cow's milk. In my eyes you can't be too careful - just my opinion xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->