Sticky eye

Discussion in 'Breastfeeding' started by aileymouse, Nov 16, 2011.

1. aileymouse

aileymouse Mummy to Amber & Georgia

Hi, my four month old has a sticky eye/conjunctivitis.

I know when they are newborns they say breastmilk is good for it, but what about now at 4 months?

I've been using cooled boiled water, but now it's looking quite bad

TIA xxx

2. ashley2pink

ashley2pink Mom to 4 girls

It doesnt matter the age. Breastmilk has anti bacterial properties. My dd has the same. Its a bit better the it used to be. Also gently rubbing around the clogged tear duct should help.If its red and puffy it might be infected, so you should call her Dr.

3. chichestermum

chichestermum mummy of 2 :)

sorry to invade your thread but... since BM is great for sticky eyes and i remember reading its fab for wounds too, is it ok to dab some on my babys face on the little spots she has? its a mix of newborn rash and little pimples from excess hormones still, will a dabbing with BM help them clear up?

what do you do once you have squirted in the milk? leave it surrounding the eye and drenching the lashes or dab the area dry with cotton wool? xx

4. Leopard

Leopard 2yrOld;3rdTriBoy

my midwife/paed suggested warm salty water and just gently rub the shut eyes if breast milk doesn't appear to help.

5. ashley2pink

ashley2pink Mom to 4 girls

I think its good for practically everything, including rashy areas on face or diaper rash

6. Kiddo

Kiddo Well-Known Member

I just squirted milk onto a piece of cotton wool and used that. Baby wriggled about too much for me to aim it straight in! We were also told to try some Johnson's baby shampoo on it. I couldn't bring myself to do it but apparently it does help.

7. lynnikins

lynnikins Well-Known Member

breastmilk is magic stuff , ive actually expressed some colustrum this week for EJ's nappy rash and its cleared it right up

8. aileymouse

aileymouse Mummy to Amber & Georgia

Well I put some on last night and have seen an improvement already this morning :)