Still feeling disconnected from this whole experience

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Third Trimester' started by SugarFairy, Jun 3, 2011.

1. SugarFairy

SugarFairy Well-Known Member

I'm having a baby. Seems so simple. And yet, I still feel like its not me. Like I'm not really going to have a baby in 7 weeks. Me in labour? Me breastfeeding? Me caring for another little life? It just seems so strange and unreal. I look at myself in the mirror and thats me with the big belly in there, no denying that! And everyone is so excited for me. I feel I should be more excited than I am. Its not that I'm not looking forward to being a mummy, just that its almost like its not me.
    Its quite difficult to explain.
    Anyone else or just me?

2. victoriav

victoriav Well-Known Member

I know what you mean. It still all seems very surreal to me. I was in ante natal class the other night and despite being surrounded by pregnant women, had a real moment of "what the hell am I doing here". I never thought we'd have kids, so even though I am very much pregnant, there are moments I just feel like I'm playing a role or someone is playing a prank. I had a scan last week and was still surprised to see there was a baby on the screen! You'd really think I'd have got used to it by now.

I guess all this ramble was just to express that you are not alone and yes I totally get what you mean! X

3. littleblonde

littleblonde kacey and sophie

i was with my dd. I went through the motions but just didnt connect!i had a section and it wasnt till i was on the table being cut that it hit me what was happening. I bonded with my daughter instently so no worrys there.

4. mtemptress

mtemptress Well-Known Member

i think if your not used to it hun it can feel weird this is my first baby and i feel bit like that at times, i love my little crispy and woe betide anyone who tries to even tell me or try to touch bump without my say so , and i would kill for my baby but i feel sometimes that its not gonna be real and that i wont be able to cope even though i have a good family network and friends it just doesnt feel real that in 7 weeks ish i will be a mummy and it will be there for me to look after for rest of its life,, big thoughts but looking forward to it but still a little aprehensive of if il be a good enough mum as i used to suffer from depression so hoping i dont get pnd ,, just keep smiling and thinking of your bundle of joy,,

5. cyanidepill

cyanidepill Well-Known Member

This is my 2nd pregnancy and I still feel that it's all a bit surreal xx

6. Cupkake.Luver

Cupkake.Luver Mommy to my Babbacakes!

I've said this before. I'm so close but the reality that I'm going to have a baby in about 2 weeks, hasn't hit me yet. I think it won't until they plop him down on my chest. lol.

7. MrsPOP

MrsPOP Mummy to Alice

God I totally get what you mean!!!!!

The closer I get to the end, the more surreal it gets as well.

8. SugarFairy

SugarFairy Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reassurance ladies. I'm glad its not just me. I thought there might be something wrong with me! x

9. anjadoem

anjadoem Pregnant with #1 !

I feel exactly the same. So reassuring to read this thread. Been worried it would be hard to bond after birth as I don't feel like I am having a baby at all. Feel disconnected somehow :-(

10. sianyld

sianyld Mammy to Baby Jakey :)

it def feels surreal, we tried for a good while for our lil bubs, and i just cant believe that 'll be a mam in 4 weeks time...not scared of wat comes next (maybe a little nervous as we r solely responsible for a little life) but know wat people mean about it being surreal x