Stirling Royal Infirmary

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Third Trimester' started by Clartylou, Apr 27, 2009.

1. Clartylou

Clartylou Mummy to Samuel, Pgt no#2

Is anyone else due to give birth at Stirling Royal Infirmary?

I haven't been to the hospital to have a look around, but have just viewed the dvd on the forth valley health website and to say I am horrified is not putting it too strongly :rofl:

The rooms look very very basic and cold. I actually work in the Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh, which is fairly new and when my sister had my nephew there 4 yrs ago, she had a TV/radio in her room, ensuite loo etc.

I am really not looking forward to having the baby at Stirling now.

Cx

2. moomin_troll

moomin_troll mummy to zane and corey

my oh comes from killearn near stirling and his mum is a health visitor im not sure if shed no but do u want me to ask her if its a good hodpital for u?

also i think u shud go for a look around.

hospital i had my baby in was awful but i made the most of it

3. Clartylou

Thanks, I would appreciate that. I am not sure if looking around is possible, I think thats why the dvd is available online. When I was at an antenatal class the woman mentioned had everyone seen the DVD and I was the only one who hadn't.

Cx

4. moomin_troll

that sucks! try calling the labour ward with fake pains and then u will get to have a look around hahaha

i will talk to the mil next time i have the chance i might be going up this weekend

5. Lulu

Lulu 1 dude & 1 dudette

Oh don't say that :dohh: That's where I'm going!!!

Actually it's a pretty good hospital. Admittedly not the newest or anything but not too bad.

I was in a few weeks ago when I hadn't felt the baby move for a while and the staff are lovely, the room was ok, didn't feel too cold and we were there at night.

I've seen the dvd too and it does look a bit clinical but it felt quite comfortable when we were there. :)

6. MysticBishop

MysticBishop New Member

My wife is in Stirling Royal Infirmary at the moment. She had to have an emergency c-section last night at 29 weeks.

Admittedly, the hospital is showing it's age in certain places and doesn't have the mod cons of Edinburgh Royal or other hospitals. However, the last thing on our mind last night was the interior decoration or being able to watch TV.

The staff in the labour ward are brilliant and have cared for my wife with professionalism and empathy. When her complications started, the staff swung into action and took care of everything, including me! The staff in the neonatal ICU are also fantastic. I managed to get into the NNICU last night to meet our little one and a member of staff was right there to explain everything, talk me through all the tubing and machinery etc. They took some photos for me and printed them off so my wife could see the baby until she is well enough to go up to the NNICU herself.

I have only good things to say about the hospital. Well, my wife did say that the food was a bit on the poor side, but that's not unusual for an NHS hospital!

7. moomin_troll

im so sorry to hear this i hope u all are doing ok and u get to take baby home soon x

8. Clartylou

Thanks MB, sorry to hear that your wife had to have an emergency c section and baby is in NNICU. However, I am grateful you replied to my post, its nice to hear someone's opinion.

I have heard the staff are great so that has made me feel a bit better about things.

Cx

9. Aurie

Aurie New Member

First of all excuse my English, I'm foreigner and still findind a bit hard to explain myself, sometimes !:blush:

Anyway... yes, I'm due to give birth at Stirling RI as well and was actually just wondering how the Hospital looks like... I can't find the dvd on the website, could you link it here, by any chance? Thanks a lot!

The other question I have regards what to pack in the hospial bag... Has anyone been given any detailed list?

10. Aurie

Aurie New Member

Hi everyone!

First of all excuse my English, I'm foreigner and still finding a bit hard to explain myself, sometimes !:blush:

Anyway... yes, I'm due to give birth at Stirling RI as well and was actually just wondering how the hospital looks like... I can't find the dvd on the website, could you link it here, by any chance? Thanks a lot!

The other question I have regards what to pack in the hospital bag... Has anyone been given any detailed list?

11. Clartylou

12. Aurie

Aurie New Member

Thanks a lot Clartylou.
    Well... it looks definitely pretty basic, I have to say. I also wonder if there is just ONE natural labour room and ONE cassic labour room, as it seems from the video (I know the pool is just one)...

13. Lulu

Lulu 1 dude & 1 dudette

Mystic Bishop, so sorry to hear about your wife and baby. I hope everything is ok :) I have to agree with you about the staff, they are fab and really at the end of the day it's the staff who make your stay in hospital, not how fancy or new the hospital is.

Hope everything is ok and your wife and baby get home soon :)

14. MysticBishop

MysticBishop New Member

Hello again. Thought I best update you all!!

Mother and baby both doing fine. Little Abby came into the world at 20:48 on Monday weighing 3lb 7oz. She is a strong little thing and they have taken her off the ventilator already so she is breathing on her own.

Mother is doing well although a bit groggy from the general anaesthetic and sore from the c-section. Her morphine pump has become her new best friend!!

15. moomin_troll

thats brilliant that baby is off the vent already. Hahaha i think morohine wud be my best friend if i had gone thru that.

i hope ur doing ok too, most ppl tend to forget about the dad

16. Foogirl

Foogirl Baby Abby 11 weeks early

I'll add my voice to this one.

As Mr MysticBishop's wife, I can definitely agree.

I recently stayed in St Thomas's in london which is a much more modern facility, but I don't see Stirling as any less of a place to be than that was. If anything the slightly battered look gives it a more homely feel.

Being in hospital is never going to be as comfortable as the 5 star hotels you may choose to stay in, but as long as it is clean and you are well cared for, I'm not sure what else you would like.

The staff here are exceptional. They were so busy on the night I gave birth, they had to close their doors to premature births and transfer patients out - something they rarely have to do. Despite being under so much pressure, all the staff were attentive and caring and at no time did I feel like I was asking too much. It is a very busy unit so faking pains to get a look around would not be a great idea!!

The Neonatal ward have been brilliant and all the staff take the time you need to explain and reassure you.

All in all I'm glad I ended up here, I might not have my own private TV and radio - but I paid 3.50 a day for that in London and I believe ERI is more expensive. If you are having a natural birth and it is uncomplicated you will be out in less than 2 days. Even with a section they aim to have you home as soon as YOU feel ready. Longer stays are unusual.

Remember, you do actually have a choice. You would have been asked at your original appointment what you preference is. You could request to be transferred to ERI or to Glasgow as they are both close.

Good luck whatever happens.

17. Cazzyg

Cazzyg Mum of 1

I had my baby in SRI in November. The hospital may look a little tired round the edges - the new hospital in Larbert is due to open to patients next year. However the standard of care I received was fantastic.

I had an emergency c section at 36 weeks because of severe pre eclampsia and I spent some time on the antenatal ward being monitored. I had really good continuity with the staff looking after me. There was also a lot of help and support to breastfeed.

My baby was quite ill and spent some time in the NNICU and again the staff in there were amazing. The amount of support and help we had from the Maternity and NNICU staff was fantastic.

TBH, you probably won't have much time to watch TV when getting to grips with your new baby.

18. Foogirl

I'll second this. Abby is still there and she is doing great. The staff have been excellent and made the whole experience less daunting.

19. Cazzyg

Cazzyg Mum of 1

Foogirl - sounds like Abby is making great progress.

Your story sounds v familiar - i think you might be very local to me?

20. Foogirl

Yes, I think if I look out my window I can see the back of your house....