• Welcome back! The Xenforo Cloud migration is now complete. Thank you for your patience! NOTE: please make sure to report any issues to our Technical Support forum and we'll review ASAP.

Stitches: a question of when

alexis89

Reaction score
So if I do tear while giving birth, when will I get stitched back up? Is it a matter of minutes? What has to be done first?

With me, she checked Alex was ok, gave me a quick cuddle then passed him to DH and got on with the stitching. I did tear quite badly though so it might have been more urgent than if you only have a few small tears. Keep hold of that gas and air because you'll need it lol! x

Mine were done fairly soon after delivery. We had some skin to skin, started bfing and then they had a look to see what needed done. That was for second degree tears.

Mine were done while I held my son. I didn't even know they were doing them!

They didn't do mines till 2 hours later :huh: I have no idea why it was so long.

I had skin to skin with Harvey and delivered the placenta then I was taken to theatre for stitches but had to wait as there was an emergency that needed dealt with first. That was for a third degree tear.

I was sewn up right after, I think my placenta came out quickly after my daughter. I had an episiotomy so they numbed before they cut, and numbed when they stitched and uh, the injection of it burned a bit on the cut skin! Nothing too bad though, I was concerned with holding my baby! They take them away too fast to clean them and APGAR score.

The doctor stitched me up right after I delivered my son, maybe 5 mins after. She did the stitches while they were weighing/cleaning him, and she was finished before I got him back.

I had mine about an hour and a half later, was nowhere near as bad as I'd thought it would be, thank goodness! But gas and air helped!

I am guessing while I was holding them....I don't remember them even stitching me so it must have been during cuddle and placenta delivery time.

They stitched me while they were weighing and checking the baby right after delivery.

I had a 2nd degree tear, so I was stitched after I delivered the placenta and held Amy for a while. They then gave her to OH whilst I was stitched xx

i was able to have a quick cuddle with alex before my placenta was delivered. the midwife then checked me over and thought i had a 2nd degree tear, she then went home and i had another midwife or thought it was a bit more serious than that and i was taken into another room by myself so i could wait to see a doctor or found out i had a 4th degree tear. i was then prepared and taken into theatre to have it fixed. i had alex at 7:20pm and was in theatre at 10:00pm because the doctor was doing her rounds before she came and saw me

I think too it depends on you, and your doctor or midwife. . .

I was told that bonding with our LO for the first hour is much more important. . .depending on how things go (how relaxed we are, etc.) then they would either do it there while LO was on my chest soon after the birth, or just keep it sanitary and do it after we've had bonding and breastfeeding time.

If my midwives we'rent so supportive of that, I'd be making a point to speak my mind - if you aren't in serious medical trauma/need immediate attention, the time with baby is more important I think :)

with my stitches they waited until everything was over and done with i think they did it after third stage if i can remember quicklymy placenta can pretty quickly after bubs as i had the injection they sewed me up then x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"