stolen names

I'd use it anyway.
I told my friend if I was having a girl I was using my girls name and if I was having a boy I was using Kaiden.
I had a girl.

Then she got pregnant and found out she is having a boy, she used the name Kaiden.

I'm now having a boy and don't even like the name Kaiden anymore, so I'm glad I didn't rant about it as I completely changed my mind when the time came.

Use your name, she isn't pregnant yet and will most likely pick a new name when she is actually pregnant

i had a coworker take my name we were both pregnant at the time and we shared names i mc and she had a girl and used my name guess she didnt think i needed it anymore im still pissed at her

haha - I feel your pain here. A family member of mine (who is signficantly younger and will not be having a family for possibly another 10 years or so) told me that she like the girl name I liked and the boy name I liked and got annoyed when I said I liked them and may use them... I was like, 'babe, your 19 and I am 26 and pregnant..' hahaha - You cant 'shot gun' names... its ridiculous. First in best dressed. Use the name you and your partner like. My ONLY exception to this rule is if the person has voiced it clearly to you in the past and AS A RESULT OF THAT you have chosen the same name (aka - you have blatantly copied it). Even then, I guess people cant stop you!

Good luck :)

I also think that sometimes (not always) a good solution to this problem is not to tell anyone what names you are considering...keep it to yourself so no one can copy you. Thats what we do now.

I wish I could pull the "I got pregnant first" card, but because it's so important to my sister, I will find a different first name. My grandpa raised her like his own and she really thinks of him as her "dad". Our parents divorced when she was 3 and I was 9, so she really never knew our real father. She is okay with me using Robert as a middle name and I am okay with the compromise.

I wish I could pull the "I got pregnant first" card, but because it's so important to my sister, I will find a different first name. My grandpa raised her like his own and she really thinks of him as her "dad". Our parents divorced when she was 3 and I was 9, so she really never knew our real father. She is okay with me using Robert as a middle name and I am okay with the compromise.

I think you are very sweet for doing this. I believe your situation (like many peoples) is unique. You are wonderful to give that gift to your sister :) :thumbup:

Rose is such a common middle name, I don't see how anyone would think you both chose to name your daughters that. And since she's not pregnant yet, I don't see why you shouldn't use it.

I think names are a really big deal and it's hard to find just the right one, so if I was set on a name (even if someone I knew planned on naming their child the same thing) I would still name my child with what I wanted. If she was really set on that name, she would still name her future-maybe daughter that.

I once thought about the name Anakin as a boy's name, and my friend named her son Anakin Skye. First thing I did was tell her how I thought that name was so cute and that my husband didn't like the name, so there was no hope for us using it anyway. Besides, I'm pregnant with a girl. Your friend could get pregnant months from now, and turn out it's a boy.

Also, I've had the name Luna Claire pegged as a name for as long as I can remember for a daughter, and I was just overcome with this pull to Valentina when I got pregnant. She might just change her mind when she becomes pregnant.

I definitely think you should use either of those two cute names you've picked out. :)

There's no such thing as stealing names, if you want Evie rose than use it.
There's no rules to say she can't call her daughter Eva in the future. She needs to get over it.

Ps my middle name is rose, so is my cousins and aunts :)

in this case i would use it - its just the middle name so dont see the big deal.
xx

Erm, what if you hadn't decided on a name/discussed names with anyone and as soon as you had your daughter you decided on Evie Rose? What would she do - not be friends with you? not visit you with the baby? I think its crazy and I think you have to go with the name that you and your partner like and agree on.

As the others have said - what if she has a boy? what if she never gets pregnant? what if she changes her mind? What if her partner decides he doesn't like Evie Rose? Waaay too many 'what-ifs'. You go for it - this is the name your daughter will have for life, it should be one that you love.

my huge rant-still peving me off. so my good friend was round today and i told her we think we've got our name, evie rose, and she immediately said noooo thats our name please dont use that- u cant use it, our name is eva rose :wacko: awkward!! she ranted to tell me she told us she was using that name if ever she got pregnant n had a daughter (shes trying but def not preg yet) iv honestly never ever ever heard her say it ever! mydd1 is madi n second choice was lila rose, since we got preg iv said if girl its lila rose or evie rose (in other words the middle name has been picked years n publically talked about) she then said it doesnt rly matter if we have the first name as there dif 'just' but we cant steal rose!! im gutted this is so awkward. i dont want to cause a row or any thing but dont know how to handle this. im 5mth pg with a daughter n shes not even preg and may never have a girl, or may change her mind, as she admitted they only thought this name up since trying to concive which is less than 5mths ago so not a life long choice. i dont overly see the issue of us both having the same name, but thats prob coz we'd b using it first. if she was having a lo befor me n used it id change my choice! :cry::shrug:

tell her to shove it

Rose is a common middle name (because its beautiful) and she will just have to deal with that - also shes not pregnant she has no say both are very common names its not like you both decided to call you child something out there and crazy like Sevrina Lilac or Jasmina Artimus ect....

i have names for 4 (and a half lol) children picked out and honestly id be a little irritated but not massively bothered as those ARE my kids names even though they dont exist yet and that's NOT changing for anyone

of the first and middle names:

3 of the names are really rare
1 is rare for a girl (but common for a boy)
1 is not common but not unheard of
2 are pretty common (in fact one of these 2 is Rose lol)
2 are common but not in my country

the 3 rare ones would annoy me as ive never ever met or even heard of a modern person with those historical names but the rest i just accept might happen by random coincidence

Hmmmm...I dunno, I see both sides. I understand her side as we have been trying for a baby for 7 years and if one of my friends used our girls name Florence, I would be gutted and offended, I think its irrelevant the fact I'm not pregnant yet, they are well aware of it being our choice though. However as I say they are aware of the name, whereas you said you were not aware. Also Evie and Rose are quite common names, Rose very common so its a bit unrealistic of her to expect it not to be chosen by a friend, if you know what I mean.

:flower:

id still use it , i'm naming my "when ever I get a" son the same middle name my nephew has..

If she never mentioned it to you, there's no way she can have it reserved.

Well, that's not true. Not everybody talks about their baby names.

Anyway, as much as I sympathize with your friend, I think you should use it. You had no inclination that she like the same name. It's also not fair for her to ask that of you - I can understand her thinking it, but she shouldn't have expressed it to you, because that puts you in a hard spot. Like others have mentioned, she's not pregnant and you are. As unfair as it sounds - that really does make a world of difference. You're in a position to use it and she's not. It's that simple.

I dont think anyone can 'reserve names' whether they are pregnant or not... the whole thing is childish... Its different if you intentionally do something to upset someone but at the end of the day, these things happen (more than one person liking the same name). I still am a strong believer in 'keeping your names to yourself' to avoid this kind of situation where possible.

She's not even pregnant, and may never even have a girl. I'd pick the name, regardless. I know three little girls, who all have the middle name Rose.

thanks ladies for the advice:flower:

the dificult thing is she caught me so off guard with her huge rant i just stood there n all i could think of saying, 'my daughter is due first', i didnt have a clue how to respond. i wanted to say but u may never have a daughter/ change your mind or some thing to this affect but i didnt want to b so insensitive when i know how desperately she wants to be preg. rose, evie, and eva r all really common where we live but iv liked rose for years so would b sad not to use it as this is our last child. im a million % sure shes never said her name choice to me, like she said she only thought of it a few weeks ago and i havent seen her for weeks.she said 'u knew we liked that name u must have heard me say it' i just said 'iv honestly never heard u say this name' after her tears (litterally tears) subsided and i was still in utter stunned slient shock she then went on to say 'any way it doesnt even matter if we have the same name as not like were related' i could tel she didnt mean this but was prob just embaraced about her out burst. i feel like things r tense now which i hate n me her and another friend r going out for tea in 2days n im dreading the other girl asking me if we've thought about names n it bringing it up again! but then it might b easier if we get the discussion rationally out of the way now we've both had time to think about it. (hope she realises how rude it is to expect me to change my name for the baby i having in 18weeks) for a name she thought of a few weeks ago when shes not preg.
i have a feeling she will try play the 'feel sorry for me as im struggling to get preg card' (which i totaly empathise with but shes only been trying 4cycles) :dohh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"