stolen names

I agree, just use it! It's a beautiful name and like others have said, lots of children share the same middle name.

This was the reason we didn't discuss names with anyone outside of close family. People asked, because I think that's one of the questions you think you should ask, but we just smiled and said we had a few names but we were going to decide which one when she was born...which was a lie, we named her at 18 weeks when we found out we were having a girl. We didn't discuss it with family either, we just told them what her name was. I don't see the point in letting people think they have any input - ultimately the decision is for you and your partner to make.

I'd use it anyway. I've had a few similar issues where I'd said my top names and over the yrs as my friends had babies, they'd been used. But I thought that's ok, cos I'm still trying. But when I got my :bfp: just before Xmas I told my next door neighbours I would love to use the name Annabel Lee (my fave poem) for a girl, she would be Belle or Bella for short. 2 weeks later they got a dog and named her Bella. If I hadn't have been pregnant I would've just let it go, but as I am I wanted to scream.

You're pregnant, she's not. And it's a middle name so I'd still go with it. It's a lovely name

One - Rose is such a common name, more so as a middle name.
Two - it's just a middle name?! She's overreacting.
Three - it's reaaally common. Lol. That just speaks for itself.

And....based on her crying about it, maybe she's pregnant lol.

But whatever. Use it. Not a big deal.

I'd use it anyways, if anything, I would personally have more of an issue using the same first name as a friend than a middle name :shrug:

i hate it when people do this, we kept my sons name a secret in the end becaise everytime we thought of a name someone ruined it! Apparently my sil and my sister wanted michael...thankfully they didnt know til he was already here!
With my daughter years ago my sil and i joked that we had daughters names sorted, and yes, we both wanted Jessica Elsie, what are the chances.we said it out at the smae time too! doh! We decided whoever got a girl first could have it, only seems fair! She was fine about it and i openly called my bump Jessica, as i was so decided i never heard a bad word apart from my mil, who i think wanted her daughter to use it!

I am sorry - I just do not understand this hyper-possessiveness people get about baby names. Isn't it a bit egotistical and absurd for anyone to think that they can somehow call dibs on something like that? And then go on to get offended if someone else makes the same choice? That feels like junior high drama to me. :shrug:
This case is particularly odd. "Eva/Evie" has been in the top ten for common girls names in the UK for several years now. Rose is right up there with Ann for very very common middle name. I am not saying common as in they aren't original, but that they are classic and pretty combinations and obviously, they have appealed to a lot of people. I think your friend is upset about something else - maybe about TTCing, as you suggested. It can be an emotional time. Maybe those feelings just came out in a really awkward way. I hope you are able to talk about this with her and resolve it. Is it the worst thing in the world if two good friends both have daughters with the same name? Couldn't that be something special and fun, instead?
Anyway, I agree with a previous poster - no one has the right to "reserve" a name. It's just silly.

In my case I lost my baby girl at 22 weeks . My SIL gave birth in November 2012 and gave her the same name as my angel. She didn't even ask us , she broke my heart and we haven't talked since. I feel she had no right to do this, she has given me a reminder of the worst pain I have ever known. I would have never done that to her if it was me, never. I am sorry but what she did is unforgivable. And I don't think I am acting like i am in high school about it..
:flower: There are some things you just don't do.. :nope:

In my case I lost my baby girl at 22 weeks . My SIL gave birth in November 2012 and gave her the same name as my angel. She didn't even ask us , she broke my heart and we haven't talked since. I feel she had no right to do this, she has given me a reminder of the worst pain I have ever known. I would have never done that to her if it was me, never. I am sorry but what she did is unforgivable. And I don't think I am acting like i am in high school about it..

This would be an exception for me. That's pretty insensitive. :hugs:

That sounds terrible, but because it's not a matter of stealing the name, but rather, as you say, of making it a constant reminder :nope:

That sounds terrible, but because it's not a matter of stealing the name, but rather, as you say, of making it a constant reminder :nope:

We aren't talking . The baby will be 7 months in June and I haven't even see her :nope: Millions of names why pick the one that every time I hear I will die a little inside. I will just never understand why.. :hugs:

I would still use it!! Evie Rose is our name for a girl too :)

I'd use it, it sounds like she's being a bit silly. Like you've said, she isn't even pregnant yet and may never even have a girl. I actually have a best friend who did similar to me, we named our daughter Ellie Rose and then after the birth my best friend would constantly remind me that I "stole" her girls name and that she'd always said she wanted to name a girl Ellie. Well...that was really news to me because I'm 100% sure I'd never heard her mention it before in her life. I just bite my lip and say "oh right" :wacko:

Actually I woudnt even care if she did have a girl and name her Ellie. A name is a name and unless you go off the wall then you're going to struggle finding somebody who doesn't share the same name as you anyway :shrug:

A good friend of mine was pregnant with me and due a month before me. We both picked out the same first name just spelt different. Neither of us cared, we thought it was funny, and both planned on naming our boys Jaxon/Jackson. However when her son was born they decided at the last minute to name him Greyson instead.

So if you really like it go for it!

A good friend of mine was pregnant with me and due a month before me. We both picked out the same first name just spelt different. Neither of us cared, we thought it was funny, and both planned on naming our boys Jaxon/Jackson. However when her son was born they decided at the last minute to name him Greyson instead.

So if you really like it go for it!

just realized your kid is named after 2 guitar makes, is it safe to assume your rockers?

I much prefer the spelling with an x though :thumbup:

LOL, No were not rockers...though OH is huge Pink Floyd fan.

I will b sticking to my chosen name Evie rose, I know my friend is going to bring it up as 'her name' but tough, if she has a daughter I cant see her using it but wouldn't care if she did. the funny thing is I told another friend n she laughed n said Evie is her top girl name too. and to top off the weirdness I told my sister yesterday n she said 'evie' is her girl name too lol couldn't belive the coincidence. aren't even considering changing the name based on other ppl wanting to use it too esp as non of them r even pregnant lol

I don't believe in reserving names for the most part. I think even if a name isn't common, it's still fair game for anyone who wishes to use it. The rare exception in my mind is if someone has selected something very uncommon/made up and a friend/relative decides that is their name as well.

I have had my girl name picked out for years and didn't think twice about sharing it as it is very unusual for a girl and there are 2 middle names (all picked for a reason). I had the name picked and then several years later learned I would have trouble conceiving and it may never happen at all. A few years after that, my sister fell pregnant and told me if it was a girl she wanted to use my girl name. I was shocked and asked why she would even consider it since the name held significant meaning for me and none for her and it was possible I would have a daughter someday. Her response was that she liked the way it sounded. I explained it would be hurtful if she used it and she wasn't budging. Turns out it was a molar pregnancy and she hasn't had another pregnancy since so I don't know if she would have really used it.
It would make for awkward family gatherings though as even if she had had a daughter and used the name I loved, I will still use it if I have a daughter! The name has special meaning and is important to me, I wouldn't give that up just because someone else decided they like it too.

found out last night this friend is now preg herself :happydance: very happy for her. shes 7weeks today. (she wasn't preg when the name debate started) hoping its not mentioned again. she would b due to find out what shes having around my due date but at the moment says shes not finding out.

wow, it's kinda amazing right? maybe all this debate was an omen for her pregnancy

wow, it's kinda amazing right? maybe all this debate was an omen for her pregnancy

she was trying but yeh im rly happy for her. does make sense a little more about her crazy reactions if she was preg (hormonal befor she could test):haha:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->