stomach muscles - help or hindrance?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Third Trimester' started by MrsF, Jun 8, 2011.

1. MrsF

MrsF My Little Miracle Man

heya ladies :flower:

have been researching on google :)wacko: - just started mat leave) about whether good stomach muscles are a good or a bad thing during labour. Mixed reviews really - albeit there's not very many articles. Some are saying good to help push out baby more effectively, and some say not good, and most end up with c-sections as baby has restricted movements.

anyone got any inside info?

many thanks
    :)

2. RebeccaG

RebeccaG Well-Known Member

Ooo this would be interesting to know! Sorry I have no idea!

3. BabiNo2

BabiNo2 Well-Known Member

Not really sure to be honest as my stomach muscles separated in my first pregnancy and think they have done the same this as time as well. I'm not sure when it happened, whether it was whilst belly was growing or during labour but hoping this labour goes ok considering. My labour was not too bad last time though and I didn't require a c-section.

4. MrsF

MrsF My Little Miracle Man

thanks for your replies ladies - my tummy muscles havent separated and the midwives and docs that i've seen have all said that i'm very very tight (which have added to a lot of pains along the way!). bubbs is engaged the right way, so that's all good, but i'm just a bit confused as to what this holds for labour and contractions. My community midwife hasnt said anything other than after the birth, but my concern is during!! x x

5. My4thmiracle

My4thmiracle Mummy to baby Nico + 3

I've had 3 children they are 17,9 and 2 and each time they have said I've got stomach muscles of a first time mum.

I had problems with my first labour, my second was born after 6 hours and 2 pushes and then my 3rd was 2 hours and 2 pushes.

6. oaklvr

oaklvr Well-Known Member

? Never heard it made a difference. I'd think that having strong muscles meant more of an overall tone to your body, which helps in labor to be a fit person. I'm not sure if they rip what happens but I'd think that it would be better for them not to. I had a nice hard stomach all through pregnancy and it still took over an hr of pushing but I was able to give good, hard pushes. I'd think baby would have restricted movements no matter what....... it's pretty squished in there.

7. 24/7

24/7 Mummy to Sam & Abigail

I was told all through my pregnancy that I had good stomach muscles, which stopped baby engaging. However I had a dream labour, and my prolonged pushing stage was due to LO coming down with his hands my his face/chest not my stomach muscles. xx