Stop breastfeeding cold turkey

HuynyG

Reaction score
My son is 8 month old, and been b/f exclusively. I'm going away for one week and trying to wean him. I've been trying to offer breast milk and formula in different bottles and he still refuses. My husband and I plan to stop offering him the breast and hopefully when he's hungry enough, he will take the bottle or straw cup (which he occasionally takes a few sips from here and there). Has anyone tried to stop breastfeeding cold turkey before? Did you stop completely without offering the breast at night? (note my son also nurses to sleep). Help! I want to make sure he's able to drink from bottle or straw cup so I can go away without worrying that he might not eat.

You should ask this in the breastfeeding section. I'm sure you will get help there. i dont have advice, because I weaned at an older age and had an easy time since breastfeeding was down to only 1-2 times a day.

Thanks! I'm new to this site. I will look for the bf section. Thanks for letting me know.

You should ask this in the breastfeeding section. I'm sure you will get help there. i dont have advice, because I weaned at an older age and had an easy time since breastfeeding was down to only 1-2 times a day.

if you decide to go cold turkey with baby remember to express a little even just to throw it away or you could end up with pain in your boobs

Have u or anyone u know experience stopping breastfeeding? and what it was like for baby? I'm just very concern about him and how long he will go without eating or if this strategy will work at all

And yes I will pump and slowly drain my milk supply

if you decide to go cold turkey with baby
remember to express a little even just to throw it away or you could end up with pain in your boobs

he will eat when he gets hungry.
the only problem is if he is also enjoying his cuddle when he is being fed so might be a bit more unsettled.
my lo stopped bf at 14 months through her own choice so not had to stop myself but i have friends that have.
maybe get daddy or someone else to feed baby when they can as when i was bf i could not get dd to take a bottle if i had expressed as i think she could still smell breast milk

First day trying today. I left the house at 930 (left baby with his dad and grandma), came home 6 hours later and he'd only taken sips of formula during that period. Then at 4:30pm, I gave him breastmilk in a straw cup and he drank about 2.5 oz. Then came 6pm, he woke up while napping and cried nonstop, I had to offer him my breast then.
We decided to offer no breast from 8am-6pm; then offer the breast at night but with reduce feedings. Will see how it goes this week. Very tough, I'm a sucker and babys a little stubborn when I'm around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->