Stop breastfeeding cold turkey

Discussion in 'Breastfeeding' started by HuynyG, Nov 18, 2011.

1. HuynyG

HuynyG Member

My son is 8 month old, and been b/f exclusively. I'm going away for one week and trying to wean him. I've been trying to offer breast milk and formula in different bottles and he still refuses. My husband and I plan to stop offering him the breast and hopefully when he's hungry enough, he will take the bottle or straw cup (which he occasionally takes a few sips from here and there). Has anyone tried to stop breastfeeding cold turkey before? Did you stop completely without offering the breast at night? (note my son also nurses to sleep). Help! I want to make sure he's able to drink from bottle or straw cup so I can go away without worrying that he might not eat.

2. austinsmom

austinsmom Well-Known Member

........when are you leaving? Hopefully not anytime soon? Personally, I think refusing his food till he's 'hungry enough' is very harsh. These types of things can take time... especially since your LO has known nothing but breast.
    I would keep giving sippy cups/bottles. Maybe do a trial run? Can you leave him with someone overnight, and see how he does? Sometimes LO won't take sippy/bottle from you, even if your in the same house. They know you're there. Hope someone can come up with a stradegy for you.

3. HuynyG

HuynyG Member

I'm leaving first week of Jan, that's why I want to start now. I was going to start with leaving during the day then will try leaving one full night see how he is. My concern is to get him on the bottle or sippy cup. He's aware of a lot of things now and I'm afraid that if I drag this on any longer, it might get more difficult, and before I know it, another month has passed (we've been trying for about a month now) But then at the same time, my heart aches thinking how awful he must feel taking the breast away.

4. austinsmom

austinsmom Well-Known Member

How is your LO with solids? What is his schedule like/typical day? Have you thought about going back to BF when you return?

5. HuynyG

HuynyG Member

He's not eating much solids at the moment as he vomits after he eats, we r waiting to see pediatrician. No, once I can get him on the bottle, I will stop bf because I have to go back to work in march, plus I don't want him to depend on me as his only source for milk, and afraid that if igo back, then we have to go through this all over again